1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 9, 2016 10:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Export settings old DVC tapes Premiere Elements12/14

OutintheBlue Level 1

Hello,

I am currently capturing old Mini DV / DVC tapes in Premiere Elements 12 and I use the standard DV settings (either standard or widescreen, depending on how it was recorded).

After editing I am using the AVI export settings to keep the original quality of the video. Perhaps to edit it later again, but mainly to acces and watch it again later on my TV.

What I've noticed that the filesize of the export is quite large, almost as large as Full HD MP4 export of the same duration.

• Full HD .mp4 file:
        Duration 1:12:49, 50fps (1920x1080) 16,3 gb
      • DV .avi file:
        Duration 1:15:18 25fps (720x576) 15,9 gb

I would have expected that the .avi file would be way less than the full HD file, but I guess the .avi file is just a totally uncompressed fileformat, right?

What would be a good export setting to keep a digital version of these tapes to keep the qualtiy (as much as possible), but to reduce the filesize?

Thanks in advance.

Ronald

• 1. Re: Export settings old DVC tapes Premiere Elements12/14
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

The DV.avi does have video compression. The video compression DV and the file extension is .avi. The classical bitrate for DV.avi is about 3.6 MB/s (megabytes per second)

And that 15.9 GB file size that you show for 1 hour 15 minutes and 18 seconds is consistent with that bitrate and duration.

I would definitely keep the DV AVI originals stored on tape so that you have the original quality source. Please look at the H.264.mp4 with regard to file size.

MPEG2 seems to be a consider but I think it probably will give you the larger file size in the comparison of MPEG2 video compression and H.264.

We can talk about this some more in the morning morning, but right now I am thinking

Your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 with NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen project preset

and

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 NTSC DV Standard or MP4 NTSC DV Widescreen

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR