8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 1:48 PM by A.T. Romano

burning dvds

marcof51712196

Hello community,

i have Windows 7 64 bit and Adobe Premiere Elements 10. I wanted to burn a DVD but since a week it doesn't burn anything. Sometimes the program crash when i click onto the Disc button. Sometimes i can choose it, type a title in and it starts to encode the data but it stops to burn when it is at 5%. At this point the program has not crashed but it burns not for many hours. So i don't know what to do.

Thanks

• 1. Re: burning dvds
          marcof51712196 Level 1

I've forgotten to say, that i've deinstalled it once.

• 2. Re: burning dvds
            A.T. Romano Level 7

marcof

Let us go through check list of troubleshooting steps for your Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Has the program and burn to disc been working for a long time before this problem occurred?

2. Are you doing burn to disc DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc?

When you are in the burn dialog with your disc in the burner tray, what do you see for Space Required and Bitrate with a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

3. What is the video card/graphics card that your computer uses? Is the driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? If NVIDIA GeForce, please stop and report back in this thread.

4. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer, and are you running the program as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)?

5. If you cannot burn to disc, can you burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)?

6. Does your project have disc menu? If so, please look at the burn to with and without the menus and Timeline markers. (For convenience, you can make a copy of your original project, and work on the copy for this.) Please do not have a stop marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: burning dvds
              marcof51712196 Level 1

I think the point with NVIDIA is the biggest but I will answer soe other questions and thoughts too.

Yes, it's NVIDIA GeForce 315. I think that it is the latest version of the driver.

1. I can't say very long i had PE 9 before. I have burnt about 10 to 20 DVDs with it, one a night before this fault.

2. It's only a normal Video-DVD. It think it is about 4.3 something GB. I can't check it now.

4. I have now installed Quick Time 7 but i think it has worked without it (I've installed Win 7 new and I've forgotten to install it.). I normally use it without administrative rights. One try with "use it as administrator" was not successful.

5. I've could not try it and I've never used it before.

6. Yes it has an disc menu and a Stop marker. I've used a Stop marker several times and it was going. A short try has shown that it doesn't work either. When i click on Disc there is only the blue waiting circle from windows, Taskmanager says: "no response".

• 4. Re: burning dvds
                A.T. Romano Level 7

marcof

Thanks for the reply. Lots to sort through.

For all the troubleshooting we need to have all of the following happening at the same time....

1. Latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on the same computer with Premiere Elements 10.

2. Running as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges). In addition...Run As Administrator applied by right clicking the desktop icon for the program and selecting and applying Run As Administrator.

3. No stop marker at the end of the last file of the Timeline content. (That seems to have been resolved with Premiere Elements 14 and its 14.1 Update.)

4. Are you working with Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 64 bit?

In spite of the above, you may be facing a no win situation related to Premiere Elements 10 on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card whose driver version is up to date. There has been (for a long time) a problem in this regard. The answer has been to roll back the driver version to May 2013.

Please refer to the following for details.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

You are facing....

a. going to another version of Premiere Elements if you want to use this computer as is in everything else

or

b. get a non NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card for this computer with Premiere Elements 10.

Looking for the older NVIDIA GeForce driver version is now the greater challenge. The ones available are typically not old enough. If you are using a computer where Premiere Elements 10 and this NVIDIA GeForce worked together before, it might be possible to find the old working driver still on your computer. Check out Device Manager/Display Adapters/NVIDIA GeForce card Properties and Properties Driver Tab/Update Driver. There should be an option for a search of the computer for drivers.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: burning dvds
                  marcof51712196 Level 1

Hello ATR,

So I've installed an older version of the driver. Now I try to burn a DVD, I do it now without administrative rights, this would be the next try (I've forgotten it). All the other points (1, 3, 4) are true.

It encodes the data now.

To the older questions: I could check it now: with the check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" it's 6,17 MBits and 4,38 GB needed space.

Thanks marcof

• 6. Re: burning dvds
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

marcof

Thanks for the follow up. Sounds like great progress. Well done. Often the older NVIDIA GeForce driver version is gone.

Thank you also from the Space Required and Bitrate readings for your burn to.

They suggest that you are trying to fit a lot of content on a DVD disc described 4.7 GB/120 minutes. In reality that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB.

But, with the "Fit Content to Fill Available Space" enabled, the program will try to make the fit. However, it does that by lowering the bitrate downward from 8.00 Mbps.

In your case, it has taken the bitrate to 6.17 Mbps. Lowering the bitrate typically gives lesser quality end product. At disc playback determine if the quality of playback meets your

requirements.

Best wishes moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 7. Re: burning dvds
                      marcof51712196 Level 1

Hello,

I would like to sum up this thread. I've installed the driver version 21st June 2013 but it has not worked (also with administrative rights). So I've installed PE 9 and burned my project with that.

I maybe try it with another version/newest version or so but I think, that this will help.

I don't know how I have do declare that theat, I don't think, that this is solved.

Thank you ATR for help(ing?) me with this problem.

Thanks marcof

• 8. Re: burning dvds
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

marcof

Thanks for the update.

As long as you are using Premiere Elements 10 in a computer with NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card, the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Ge Force syndrome will persist. Typically the roll back works at May 2013. The June 2013 driver version was close in dating, but still may not have had the same perks at the May 2013 one? Did that June 2013 work before with Premiere Elements 10 in that computer?

We have discussed this matter so you are aware of these factors. You need not reply to that curiosity question if you are moving forward in a busy schedule.

Best wishes.

ATR