2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 6:51 AM by michaelgostan

Lightroom freezes up whenever I add a folder to my catalogue that contains a .mov or .avi video file

michaelgostan

I'm an amateur photographer and I recently installed Lightroom 2015.3 with Camera Raw 9.3.  I'm running LR on a brand new Macbook Pro, and my photos are saved on a Sinology DS413 NAS. 

I'm in the process of adding my photo collection to a new LR catalog.  The adds go nice and smooth until I get to a folder that contains a .mov or .avi file.  Once I get to a folder that contains one of those, the thumbnails don't show up in the preview screen.  If I try to run the import, the process hangs indefinitely.  I can cancel the import, but the program then becomes unresponsive, I have to do a Force Quit, then restart. 

I know there are a few forums that already have this question on them, but I haven't seen any answers from Adobe or other users that actually resolve the problem.  I contacted Adobe via chat, and the agent refused to help me once he found out I was still on the 30 day trial of LR.  (Basically no help unless I shell out the $$.)  The agent told me to post my question in a new forum and I'd be answered, so I'm giving it a shot.

Any takers?

• 1. Re: Lightroom freezes up whenever I add a folder to my catalogue that contains a .mov or .avi video file
          deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi,

1. First please make sure that the QuickTime is updated to the latest version.

2.Open Lightroom Preferences and click on the File Handling tab.

Lightroom Fanatic - Lightroom Preferences - File Handling

Then go to Lightroom Preferences – File Handling

1. At the bottom of the File Handling options, find the Video Cache Settings.
          2. Click the Purge Cache button.
          3. Close the Preferences dialog.
          4. Close Lightroom.
          5. Launch Lightroom.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Lightroom freezes up whenever I add a folder to my catalogue that contains a .mov or .avi video file
            michaelgostan Level 1

Thanks, this worked for a while.  I purged the cash and was able to add another few thousand photos with a few videos mixed in.  My last batch of adds went through, but over 50 videos were left out, with the following message in the log.

An unknown error has occurred while reading the video file. Connecting to Dynamic Link server failed. (54)

The videos were spread out in over a dozen folders within the parent folder I was adding.  (I'm only adding the files to the catalog, and not copying the actual files.)  I restarted LR, tried purging the video cache again, and got the pop up stating the message will be dismissed when the purge is complete.  The following morning, the pop up was still there.  I clicked cancel, and 30 minutes later it still says it's canceling.  The Force Quit menu doesn't show LR as "not responding", but I don't know how much longer a simple cancel is supposed to take.

So the problem seems to be a little different now, but still comes back to not being able to import video files.