13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 2:35 PM by Just Shoot Me

want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app

BertonD

I joined creative cloud just so i could sync between lightroom on my desktop and in my iOS devices. I don't want to install creative cloud apps on my desktop but it seems to want me to do that. Am I required to do that?

thanks,

Deena

• 1. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app
          Pattie-F Level 7

I am moving this post to the Photoshop Lightroom forum so the experts there can assist you.

• 2. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You will need to install the basic Creative Cloud app, and Lightroom CC. Nothing else if you don't want it. But only the CC version can sync.

But if you are paying for the CC software, why would you not want to use the new features that are not available in earlier versions, like Lr6?

• 3. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Yes you are required to install the CC desktop app to install LR CC. You don't have to let it run all the time. You click the Gear icon in the upper right hand corner and select Quit and the CC app will shut down. All other CC apps still run without the CC app starting up with your computer.

• 4. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app
                BertonD Level 1

Maybe I bought the wrong thing. I am very happy with my desktop version of Lightroom. I only wanted to be able to continue to sync between my Lightroom Mobile iOS app and my Lightroom Desktop. After 30 days, the functionality stopped and said I had to buy CC. Is that right? But now I have to move to CC from Lightroom Desktop to do that? It was working just fine syncing collections between my desktop and my iPhone and iPad before? I guess I am missing something. Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app

I'm not sure what you bought.

Presently there are 2 versions of LR.

LR CC 2015.3 which you need to have a Photographers Plan subscription to use and LR 6.3 which is the stand alone, one time fee/cost, version.

Only with the subscription plan based version do you get to sync desktop LR with LR Mobile for longer than 30 day.

If you purchase LR for a one time fee, at a one time cost of around $79 for the upgrade version and $149 for the full version, then that is LR 6 and doesn't include the option to sync up with LR mobile on Android and iOS devices. It only allows a 30 day trial.

In LR go to the Help menu and select About Photoshop Lightroom and post the exact version you have installed.

• 6. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app
                    BertonD Level 1

I am running Lightroom for Desktop version 6.0

I have Camera Raw version 9.0 installed

I've been using Lightroom since the Beta. I have 100,000 images under management. I did not want to upgrade to version 6.3 because there were changes in the import process that were causing people a lot of problems. I don't know if they are resolved but I usually wait until a version has been out for a while before upgrading.

I signed up via the top left in the desktop app to "Get Started with Lightroom Mobile" and had it syncing collections with my iPhone and iPad beautifully for those first 30 days. Then it stopped. I got an email from Adobe saying I had to sign up for CC if I wanted to keep using that feature. That's what I did. I followed the link and signed up for CC. I didn't realize that I had to commit to switch to the CC version of Lightroom in my desktop environment to use that. I guess I just assumed that if the feature worked for me already it would be something I could continue using.

Are you sure that I can't pay for the cloud syncing but use it from my desktop version? I'm really afraid of making the switch to CC. I have watched videos and read about it quite a bit but feel unsure what is really going to happen when I do it. I also prefer my desktop application and don't want all my images in the cloud. Just selected ones. I do local backups and offsite backups already.

Thanks for your guidance.

Deena

• 7. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app

Yes you have the Stand Alone version which does NOT include the ability to Sync with LR Mobile after a 30 day trial. That feature is only available with the Creative Cloud Subscription based version.

If this is something you really need and want then you will need to buy a subscription to the Photographers plan for $9.99 a month.

The CC version and the Stand Alone 6 version are Exactly the same program except that the Stand Alone 6 version is lacking in some features. One of those feature that is lacking is being able to Sync with LR Mobile after an Initial 30 day trial.

No you can't just pay for the sync feature. You have to subscribe to the CC version to have that feature. All in all it isn't a bad deal for the $9.99 a month. You get both LR and Photoshop for that $9.99 along with all the new features.

• 8. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app
                        BertonD Level 1

Ok, thank you for explaining that. I really just never contemplated that I would have to change programs. It does seem a bit uncool of Adobe who can clearly make the syncing work between Desktop and mobile to then require the upgrade to CC to use that feature. If they never offered it, I would understand but I feel like I was trapped into trying something that would require a major change for me to continue using and that wasn't clear. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Lightroom fan. There is nothing like it and if the mobile version would support Apple's non-destructive editing, my life would be so much better!

I already signed up for the $9.99/month subscription. I don't object to the cost. I simply am afraid to change my software. You said the CC version is the same as the desktop version so I will try to find some videos on the upgrade process. I'm very risk averse. I already spend too much time organizing and managing images relative to processing them and enjoying them so I just don't want to make a big project for myself that I can't get through.

Thank you for your help,

Deena

• 9. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app

It is not an Upgrade. Is the same program code with 2 different ways to buy and use it.

Actually all of this is fairly clearly stated if you read the Fine Print for each.

You won't be changing your software. In actuality you don't have to uninstall the version you now have installed. All you have to do is change how you Log In. If you used the same exact email address and password for your Adobe ID, IE Same Adobe ID, to buy the subscription plan just open LR go to the Help menu and Sign Out then Sign back in and your original Stand Alone version should change over to the Creative Cloud version.

They are Exactly the Same Program.

• 10. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Not anymore. Lightroom CC has new features that Lightroom 6 did not have, besides the syncing.

• 11. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

Not anymore. Lightroom CC has new features that Lightroom 6 did not have, besides the syncing.

They are still they same exact program code. If you have both the Stand alone version, and an Adobe ID that is not tied to a subscription plan along with a valid serial number, and the CC version, IE you do have an Adobe ID that has bought a Photographers subscription plan and is Paid Up, you can sign out and sign back in using the other Adobe ID and the program will change from 6 to CC or CC to 6. Features for each will either be included or removed depending on how you sign in.

• 12. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Oh, sure, if you paid for CC you can use the CC features. But it is not the same code as Lr6. But I get your point.

• 13. Re: want to use my lr desktop app and not install creative cloud app

It is the same code. If you install LR CC, IE Not the stand alone 6 version, and you Sign In with an Adobe ID that is not tied to a subscription plan you then enter a serial number the CC version you installed turns into the 6 Stand Alone version. No other downloading required no files are deleted from your system.

What make each version is how you sign in, What Adobe ID you use.

Actually there is a hack to give the 6 version users access to the Dehaze feature. None that I know of for the LR Mobile feature as that is controlled at the Adobe servers.

The Dehaze feature is Part Of the Code.