26 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 10:40 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 Crashing

BonafideZoocity Level 1

Hello,

I have Premiere Elements 13 on my PC spec'd as follows:

CPU: i7 4790K, moderate overclock.

RAM: 16GB

GPU: 2 X MSI R9 280X 3GB each

I am encountering a crash in Premiere 13 while editing only when I go to add and edit default text.

I can add in as many default texts as I wish, but as soon as I go to change what the text says, Premiere freezes and will then stop responding, making me resort to force closing it.

It also happened when editing only one text for a title.

GPU drivers are up to date, Premiere is on latest version. What am I missing?

Here is a short video displaying the occurrence. Beware, there is a small amount of noise from scrubbing so make sure your volume is low.

Thanks,

Robert

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Your video details were difficult to read, but I did note that you were dealing with Timeline unrendered content. Please confirm that you created one title file and then duplicated it several times in Project Assets from where you dragged the title files to the Timeline.

After you have created the first title file, be sure to close the Titler. Then do your titles Duplicates if that is what you did. It looks like you did not do that.

Please focus on that angle first...

a. Before you introduce the titles, render the Timeline content by pressing the Enter key.

b. Then one at a time introduce the titles to the existing Timeline content.

c. Render the Timeline content and do the playback (provided the program is not crashing as before).

Please consider, and then we will decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
            BonafideZoocity Level 1

Thank you very much for you reply.

You are correct, the content was unrendered and the titles were duplicated.

Admittedly, I am unsure what you mean by closing the titler. I did leave the main title selected, yes, and editable.

Now, after following a, b, and c (Assuming that closing the titler means I just press the shrink arrows in the top right when the title is selected)

I am still experiencing a crash. I ensured that I rendered the titled timeline before editing the text and still had a crash. Am I supposed to render after every text change?

Thank you for your help

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Thanks for the reply.

Closing the Titler before you start Duplication Title 1 in Project Assets. Sounds like you found it already.

titler-crashes.jpg

If you have an orange line over the Timeline content (as you did), that is the program telling you that you do not have the best possible preview of what you are seeing in that Edit area monitor. Timeline rendering is a window of opportunity to catch a problem soon than later. You do  not have to do that to continue, but it is particularly useful for gauging what you have for titles, effects, transitions, and non native formats.

All that being said....

a. What font and font size are you using for the Titles? Does changing the font and font size have any impact on the crash frequency?

b. If you go to a new project, same problem?

c. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Depending on the outcome of the above considerations, delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. In Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit, it is located

With Premiere Elements closed....

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 13.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

Do you have the installation files or disc and purchased serial number in case this heads to an uninstall/free ccleaner run through/reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                BonafideZoocity Level 1

Thanks for the information.

As far as fonts and font sizes are considered, the crash is happening with whatever stock size and font is supplied upon selecting default text. (I believe size 68 and Adobe Caslon?)

I just tried changing the font and size before changing the text and it still crashed. My drivers are the latest non beta AMD drivers, 15.12. (just updated to 16.1, just released, after typing this.)

I'm opening it as a new project every time instead of opening a saved project in order to alleviate any possible issues.

So I will delete the preferences and try it...

Also to note i uninstalled and reinstalled elements yesterday.

Now I am able to get it to add the 4 titles, however it will not playback. It's not crashing per-se, but just not playing back.

Edit: It's still crashing, it seems the playback freeze is an odd one out as far as occurrences go.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Thanks for the update.

Since your initial impression seemed to be that the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file had some impact on the crashes, consider....

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

But this time, delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Close out of there, restart the computer, and open Premiere Elements.

What are the properties of the Timeline content below these titles....brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video as well as file extension.

What was set as the project preset? For that see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the reading for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

I will be at the computer for a few more minutes. I will revisit your thread in the morning morning.

ATR.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                    BonafideZoocity Level 1

I appreciate your help very much.

I've deleted the folder and we will see what that impacts...

It crashed while trying to render with the 4 edited titles, I'll try again...

And it has crashed while editing the text for the titles, even though I was careful to follow the steps laid out before. (Rendering, closing titler, re-rendering, etc.)

Edit: I must've breezed over the part where you instructed me to restart after deleting the folder, so I just retried it with that.

It still ended up crashing while editing text, granted it did well initially because I got all the way to editing the 4 different title texts before it hung up and froze.

As far as the recording device, it's a screen capture called OBS, I typically have it at 1920X1080 or 1280X720 @60FPS. This clip is and mp4.

I took a screen grab of the requested info:

PRE13.JPG

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Still did not call it a day. I need to any minute.

But, just saw your latest post...please run your video through MediaInfo (Tree View) to determine if the video properties have 1 or 3 frame rates.

I want to rule out a variable frame rate issue.

Just be careful with your choices during the download and install of MediaInfo since it is known to travel with unwanted baggage.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                        BonafideZoocity Level 1

Sheesh man, don't work too hard!

I ran the file through the program, thanks for the warning, and it appears it's registering a solid 60.00 FPS but you'll be able to comb through this better than I.

TreeView.JPG

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

BonafideZoocity

Good morning. Thanks for the screenshots.

From your MediaInfo video audio properties readout, we learn that your source media for the project is

AVCHD video compression and AAC audio format (Stereo). The file extension (container format) is .mp4.

Of significance is the frame size and frame rate....

Frame Size 1536 x 864 (16:9) and frame rate 60 progressive frames per second.

There is no project preset for that. So, based on your Edit Menu/Project Settings/General screenshot, the program is giving you its default which is 1080i (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second).

Let us rule in or out that this mismatch is involved in the crashes. I am assuming that have been letting the project set the project preset automatically.

With Edit Menu/Preferences/General with Default Scale to Frame Size enabled.....

1. Manually set the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

To do this, follow the steps

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                          • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the one mentioned above. OK out of there.
                          • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                          • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline track.

Then continue in the project and determine if the crash situation is gone.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                            BonafideZoocity Level 1

ATR,

I record in the middle ground between 720 and 1080 because if I'm live streaming the quality is only 720, but I want better source quality than that when using the raw footage.

After changing the project settings I'm still getting the crash when trying to title even when rendering after changes. I only got one title changed before it crashed when selecting the second.

Thank you,

Robert

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Curious about your comment

I record in the middle ground between 720 and 1080 because if I'm live streaming the quality is only 720, but I want better source quality than that when using the raw footage.

Is there anything in that which might be triggering the program instability?

Also, not sure if you said or I asked....you say that 4 (1 original, 3 Duplicates) titles to the Timeline - crash. Do you get the crash if you drag the original to the Timeline 4 times?

Also, I would like you to create 4 color mattes - see Expert workspace Project Assets/Panel Options/New Item/Color Matte. If you put them through the workflow making believe they are titles, do you get the crash after the 4th color matte is placed over the video?

Although changing the font did not affect the situation, have you imported any 3rd party fonts? Wonder if it is time for a font evaluation? I do not know if the Font Doctor software works on Windows 10 64 bit.  Need to think about that.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                BonafideZoocity Level 1

Thinking about it now, I can see that being a cause for the issue, but I'm not sure. I'll try with a full 1080 clip I have.

By changing to AVCHD 1080 60 I have gotten it to not crash with text, however it will not playback the video preview. Then it crashed while trying to exit. 

I'll try with 4 original titles, but I've seen the issue with even just one title present.

It hasn't crashed, but I am getting the playback issue. If i double click the media track, the window that opens shows blank where the video should be. The text appears over a black background and pressing play does nothing. Then it crashes while exiting.

Blank videa.JPG

Adding in color mattes caused no crashes, even after 4+. I messed with effects on them too trying to stress the program, but I'm not getting the same results that editing text yields.

As far as fonts are concerned, I have not added any.

Thank you,

Robert

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                  BonafideZoocity Level 1

PS: After adding text on top of the color mattes, the first one went fine after carefully adding it, rendering, editing the text, re rendering, and upon adding in the second title, I noticed considerable lag and ultimately a crash when trying to render before even editing the second title's text. Hopefully that can help.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

About to call it a day any minutes. I will think about those titles in the morning morning.

Any details on those titles that you may not have mentioned? I think not, but just in case.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                      BonafideZoocity Level 1

ATR,

The text is the font which is selected by default, Adobe Caslon Pro and size 68. I hadn't tried editing the text font yet. That is for the first instances where I tried a full 1080 clip and 4 original titles.

With color mattes successful, I added the first title and did a Rosewood Black style at size 200. I added a second title in Algerian font, and sized near 180. As stated this is where I noticed the program seeming to bog down. I went to render the timeline and that's when the renderer went unresponsive and elements crashed.

EDIT: I was adding titles to the timeline one at a time, and editing them, all with no video in the background. I got to 4 I believe, and the program became unresponsive again, where I was pressing play on the preview but nothing was happening. Upon trying to exit, elements crashed. I'm not sure these are helping you at all but I figure I should relay as much as possible.

Thank you

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

I have been reading and re-reading our thread comments looking for something that we are overlooking.

I was about to ask you to do the text file additions to the Timeline in the absence of the 1080p60, but you did that already.

In all the tests you have done, is there one step where the results were better than the rest even if crashing messed things up ultimately?

I am not sure if this is going to help, but I am reaching to find a handle on this.

1. Open a new project with the manually set NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD 1080p60 project preset.

Create your 1st title so that you get a thumbnail for it in Project Assets. Leave the thumbnail in Project Assets, but get rid of the Timeline file.

Highlight/select the title's thumbnail in Project Assets.

2. Go to File Menu/Export/Title, and export the title to a prtl file saved to the computer desktop.

3. Start a new Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project with the manually set project preset of NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD 1080p60.

Import into this project that saved prtl file using Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

a. Make your 3 duplicates in Project Assets.

b. Drag each of the 4 files from Project Assets to the Timeline, one by one...and get them each into the finished state...any crashes yet?

c. If no crashes, import your 1080p60 video....crash?

After the above (depending on the results to day), I am going to focus back to your video card/graphics card and any computer controls that you have for it. Then we can decide if you need to talk to card manufacturer's customer service about suggested customization for the card in this situation.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                          BonafideZoocity Level 1

ATR,

After following those steps I am still seeing a crash. It's exactly the same as the first crash I had. The only thing that seemed to make things moderately, if at all, better was to delete the pref file. Cards are overclocked but are stable with everything I have thrown at them. I was originally running Win. 8/8.1 and experienced no crashes or issues so I can't be sure if it is My GPUs, OS, or any other number of things. Is there any possibility that updating to P.E. 14 would solve this odd crash, even though that comes at a cost I just paid a few months back?

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

BonafideZoocity

The look at Premiere Elements 14 might be the win win situation. But, only do that now for troubleshooting purposes and as the free 30 day tryout from Adobe.

If 14 works with these titles, then we point to the program. If 14 also does not work with these titles, then we point to the computer. The latter might mean taking the computer to factory settings with deactivation and clearing of programs.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                              BonafideZoocity Level 1

ATR,

Sorry for the awfully late reply, school has me tied up. I'm downloading the PE 14 trial right now to give it a test.

Thank you

Robert

UPDATE: After using 14 on various different clips in various formats and not messing with settings basically begging it to crash, I experienced nothing.

I guess this is both good and bad news. Good because I know my computer is fine but bad because I'm not looking forward to possibly having to dish out money again for a program I already own. I'm not sure what Adobe will do if anything.

Thanks again

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Thanks for the good news part of your reply.

Please remind me, did you purchase Premiere Elements 13 from Adobe as a download?

If yes, then I would encourage you to contact Adobe via its online Adobe Chat. Please see the following Adobe document on exchanges, returns, refunds and the chat link in the document.

Return, cancel, or exchange an Adobe order

Did you leave 13/13.1 installed and activated on the computer that you used for the 14 tryout? If so, please give 13/13.1 another look to determine if the 14 install had any impact on this 13/13.1 title problem.

I will be watching for your progress. While you have 14 (now has a 14.1 update after you install 14), give it a good work out. The Export & Share of 14 is dramatically different than that of 13/13.1's Publish+Share.

Now you have Motion Titles as well as Classic Titles. Please give those titles a workout especially after you download and install 14.1 update for 14.

Need to call it a day. We will be watching for further developments as your time permits.

ATR

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                                  BonafideZoocity Level 1

ATR,

I did purchase PE13 from Adobe directly. I have the student edition that allows me Photoshop Elements too. I'm not eligible for any form of refund or exchange seeing as I got PE/PS in June, granted I wasn't yet trying to make much content, but that was on win. 8.1 and it drove smoothly.

I did leave 13(.1) installed and am testing it now...

Immediately I am still getting a crash that wasn't occurring on 14(.1) in my past testing.

I'll be throwing what I can at it.

Thank you ATR

Robert 

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Thanks for the update.

Please update us with further developments as your schedule permits. This becomes more and more curious as to why 13/13.1 is behaving as it is and not 14/14.1.

Best wishes

ATR

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                                      BonafideZoocity Level 1

ATR,

As requested I'm stress testing 14 and so far all i can say is it's stable. I have no crashes to report. I've been making numerous different texts and not rendering with no crashing. I have used multiple different video clips with various formats and framerates. Still, no crashing.

I will keep messing around with it but so far 14 is operating flawlessly unfortunately / fortunately.

Thanks

Robert

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Thanks for the update.

If 14 does hold up for you, you might want to watch for a sale of 14 at Adobe or at an authorized reseller.

Typically I prefer the box packaging with comes with installation disks for Windows and Mac instead of the download which is specific for the computer operating system to which 14 is downloaded.

But, Adobe does not sell the box packaging, so that mean purchase from authorized reseller.

If the purchase is from Adobe, there is a within 14 days of the date of purchase for Premiere Elements 14 return/refund. If you purchase elsewhere, then you are governed by the pricing and return/refund/exchange policy of the reseller.

Still hoping to find the 13 titles solution, but looking like the solution is going to be 14.

Best wishes

ATR

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                                          BonafideZoocity Level 1

ATR,

I would like to thank you for your help with this issue, though I wish Adobe had a bit better way to handle legitimate issues with their products.

At the end of the day I reluctantly bought 14 because I can't just sit with no editor.

So there's the solution to the problem I suppose, beg Adobe for help, get referred to forums, break down and buy their newer product.

Again, Thank you ATR for the assistance you were very helpful.

Robert

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Crashing
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Best wishes  for great video taking opportunities and great projects with your Premiere Elements 14/14.1.

ATR