3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 8:06 AM by dj_paige

Selective Importing - Possible?

glugglug Level 1

I shoot RAW and JPG images together, RAWs are destined for my professional output and JPGs for my YouTube channel. I bring the JPG files directly into my YouTube workflow and only import RAW files to LR, which I convert to DNG on the way in.

When I set import sorting to 'By Media', it actually puts the RAW and JPGs side by side (presumably since they derive from the same data capture). However, what I want is to import only RAW files. Is there any way to implement a selective look at the files on the card, showing only the RAWs? That way I could select the lot and have LR process them without further ado.

It would actually be very handy to be given a list of file types present on the card and select, say MP4 to be shown only those video files or RW2 to show only my RAW Panasonic files etc. Would anyone else find this useful? Or better still, have I missed a way to do this easily?

• 1. Re: Selective Importing - Possible?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi glugglug,

Please refer this Thread Prevent Lightroom importing JPG JPEG

Let us know if that helps

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Selective Importing - Possible?
            glugglug Level 1

Thanks Akash - no nothing of any help there. It's all kludges to get around a shortcoming.

It seems to me a basic that I should be able to select the type of files I wish to import from a card that may contain several types of file. It's such a time waster otherwise. If sort by media really did that it would help but it places RAW+JPG files together. The reasons are understandable but for someone like me who has different uses for the two types if file, it just doesn't work.

Opening Explorer windows and dragging and dropping stuff for outside the lR environment is exactly what LR is supposed to avoid. I suppose there's a clash here between cultures, in that I am doing this by necessity many times a week for professional purposes. Making kludges now and again is OK if you do it infrequently but in my case it is a pain and so easily remedied.

Would it be worth requesting it as an option, I wonder?

• 3. Re: Selective Importing - Possible?
              dj_paige Level 9

It seems to me a basic that I should be able to select the type of files I wish to import from a card that may contain several types of file.

Obviously, it's not a basic to others.

Would it be worth requesting it as an option, I wonder?

Sure, request it.