3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 8:21 AM by A.T. Romano

Can't Add Effects to Linked Audio & Video - Premeiere Elements 13

ricksprintshop Level 1

When I link a video with a new audio track on the timeline  (highlight both tracks and select "Link audio and video") it works fine, but if I then try to drag an effect onto the video track, it says "Multiple clips selected, please select only 1 clip".

In order to apply ANY affect to the video track I have to first un-link the audio and video track.

Even on brand new projects where I strip off the original audio from the footage and add independently recorded audio, even with the tracks at identical length and timing, the problem still occurs.

I'm running windows 10 Pro  version 1511

Processor: Intel i7-4790K CPU 4.00 GHz

RAM:  16.0GB

64-Bit OS

Any pointers appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can't Add Effects to Linked Audio & Video - Premeiere Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ricksprintshop

What you describe, I would class under "it is what it is" and you have found an appropriate workaround for this and what you want to do.

This is not an individual project bug.

If you need examples when Link or Unlink Audio and Video or Group and Ungroup is involved, I will supply them. You may be interested in the following

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Grouping, linking, and disabling clips

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't Add Effects to Linked Audio & Video - Premeiere Elements 13
            ricksprintshop Level 1

Thanks for the feedback ATR.

I've been using Premiere Elements since version 3 and there are many things you get so used to doing, they become automatic and efficient.

It always feels quite frustrating when they bring out a new version and you discover that your usual quick and efficient methods are no longer valid, and you end up being forced to engage in what seem like clumsy work-arounds just to get the same basic things done.    I've seen this issue with every new version of PE I've bought, with things being buried deeper in menus and simple things requiring 4 clicks where previous versions required only 2.

It's a trend I've seen happening, not just in Premiere, but right across the software industry, and it seems completely counter-intuitive to me why programmers make things less efficient than they were.  f I could go back to version 3 of PE, I would, because it was just perfect!  The layout was all on the same page, and nothing was buried in menu's. It was so simple and efficient to use - Like good old Windows XP

Anyway, sorry, I know it's not your fault, I'm just venting my frustrations    

• 3. Re: Can't Add Effects to Linked Audio & Video - Premeiere Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ricksprintshop

You and I here and elsewhere go back a long way in Premiere Elements troubleshooting.

There is still the Adobe Feature Requests and Bug Report Form to file to make your comments known to Adobe who decides on feature set for a version.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

I understand your present situation and workflow goals. It is very frustrating to be ready with video editing principles and not being able to find related project features. Or, finding them in different routes.

We can point you to certain features in the new version. We can suggest possible workarounds in the absence of defined features.

So, please do not hesitate to ask so that we can help you decide between the can dos with Premiere Elements 14/14.1 and the cannot dos.

Best wishes

ATR