18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 8:59 PM by A.T. Romano

file import failure

ksdoubledrop

I'm having this issue while trying to open a project. The popup appears and reads File Import Failure: This file type is not supported or the required codec is not installed.

I did install Cyber LInk Media Suite yesterday but don't see why that should affect one project as I open other Adobe completed projects and they load up just fine. Any resolutions yet....

• 1. Re: file import failure
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ksdoubledrop

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

Please clarify....

1. Are you saying that you open Premiere Elements to generate a new project file and before your Add Media, you get a pop up message File Import Failure?

2. Or, are you having problems opening a previously saved closed project file?

3. Or, are you getting this File Import Failure message when you are in the act of adding a file to the project with one of its Get Media/Add Media choices?

Please clarify and give more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: file import failure
            ksdoubledrop Level 1

ATR,

I am getting the error when opening a previously saved project. It gives me the offline messages and no images pop up after I accept the message but the project shows up only without video images and it has a red background with what looks like multiple languages. It Adobe Premiere Elements 14

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: file import failure
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ksdoubledrop

Thanks for the important troubleshooting information that is helping to define the issue that you face.

You appear to have run into a disconnect between the source video for the project and the project file.

That can happen if, after you save close a project file, you move, delete, or rename source video that was imported in that project.

When you import files into Premiere Elements, all you get are copies of the originals that remain at their hard drive save location. But the project file needs to trace back

to those originals at the location where they were when first imported into the project.

The fix is to use the "Where is the file _____?" messages (one by one) to tell the project where you know the files requested are. If you get lucky, after you answer a few of these messages, the rest of the files will reconnect automatically.

Where are you storing your source files - external hard drive? External hard drive problem (driver letter changes) can cause this type of problem also. We may need to talk storing files on the Local Disk C.

Please consider, and then we will decide what next. Any questions about the questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 4. Re: file import failure
                ksdoubledrop Level 1

Ok, thanks. I will try that route. They are on a external hard drive and it did change letters for drive location recently for a brief while when I had a Blu Ray burner attached. I will see if I can do what you mentioned. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: file import failure
                  ksdoubledrop Level 1

That did it! Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: file import failure
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ksdoubledrop

Thanks for the reply.

Are you OK with the details for changing the external hard drive drive letter with Disc Management?

Also, one consideration that might minimize the chances for external hard drive drive letter change with different plug and play is to give the external hard drive a letter toward the end of the alphabet.

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 7. Re: file import failure
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ksdoubledrop

I did not see your post 5 until after I had posted (post 6).

Wonderful news of your success. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: file import failure
                        ksdoubledrop Level 1

Thanks again. One last question, why would elements not recognize my burner drive or E: drive for just making a DVD. I was able to just do the ISO file and burn in Nero but now since this past thing I can't do that due to some error message saying file type is incorrect. Really getting frustrating as I was able to burn from Adobe premiere when I first started editing projects a few months back then I lost that capability and it worked for awhile saving it outside of it but I don't like that and especially now that I can't even get it to burn

Sent from my iPhone

• 9. Re: file import failure
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ksdoubledrop

Do you have one of two burners? Do you have a DVD burner on one drive and another on E?

Are you saying that now in the burn dialog, the burner location field is not showing any burner?

Let us start by sorting out those details since one possibility is to change the burner drive letter to one further down the alphabet.

Also, make sure that all the Timeline content that you are taking to burn to is still connected to the project files and that you did that miss any of the reconnects with those "Where is the file _____?" messages.

If you have two burners, have you tried disabling one or the other?

It probably is not related to this case, but, just in case, look at the burn to with and without the "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and newer)" disabled.

Please consider.

ATR

• 10. Re: file import failure
                            ksdoubledrop Level 1

Ok, I do just have the one burner but I noticed the external hard drive that I use changed from F drive to G and then I decided to name my external hard drive but not thinking the reasoning you are telling me I actually named it "External Hard Drive". This was all after I had the issues of it not recognizing my E: drive, which is my only burner or CD/DVD drive on my laptop. So do you say I just need to put the name of my External drive as something down the alphabet, or my dvd E: drive? Sorry to bug you so much but these are really the only things I am fighting currently.

Thanks,

Dylan

• 11. Re: file import failure
                              ksdoubledrop Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to answer all of your questions. When given the "Where is the file" message, I only locate the first video file and then it doesn't give me any more and fills in the project. I do only have the one E: drive  that is my one and only burner. I mentioned I hooked up a Blu Ray burner but that wasn't until recently and well after I lost capability of it recognizing the burner. It won't even give me an option to browse, just has a scan button but fails every time to find a burner even though it used to burn to that E: drive.  I was able to get a copy burnt just now by using that ISO file and then finding it in my nero burning software but not until I search all file types. I save them in an easy to find file outside the program but what a pain. I wish I could just get it back to the Adobe program

• 12. Re: file import failure
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ksdoubledrop

Please never hesitate to ask as many questions as you want.

Giving the removable drive a drive letter further down the alphabet often avoids problems with drive letters changing with the plug and play.

Hint for the future...for a project traveling between 2 different computers, make sure that the drive letter is the same for the media storage external hard drive that is being used in common by computer 1 and 2 for that same project.

A few weeks ago I had a problem with burner recognition in Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit. After changing the burner drive letter from D to P, the burner was recognized in Premiere Elements 14/14.1. I do not know how widespread that fix could be, but it worked for me in that instance.

Please let me know if you need supplemental information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: file import failure
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dylan

Please let me know how sorting through these burner drive letter changes affects your burn to disc issue. And, please restart the compute after the changes.

ATR

• 14. Re: file import failure
                                    ksdoubledrop Level 1

I'm trying to rename that drive but unfortunately it is not allowing me to. The only way  I can get that drive to appear on my files is when I put a disk in. Is that where I am doing something wrong? It shows a rename option but it's gray and it won't let me select it. I also right click on that E: drive and it doesn't give me the rename option like the other drives do. 

From: A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

To: Dylan Smith <smitty04@yahoo.com>

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 10:13 PM

Subject:  file import failure

file import failure

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionDylan Please let me know how sorting through these burner drive letter changes affects your burn to disc issue. And, please restart the compute after the changes. ATR If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8377194#8377194 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8377194#8377194 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 15. Re: file import failure
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ksdoubledrop

Thanks for the reply.

Please remind me of your computer operating system...for now Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit

Just in case message...are you giving the burner drive a new drive letter...

Computer

right click

Manage

Storage

Disk Management

and then finding the panel for the burner drive.

Then right clicking that panel and selecting Change Drive Letter and Path.

ATR