0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 8:33 AM by rr326

Large Scale Face Recognition

rr326

I am trying to use Lightroom's face recognition, but it bogs down a lot at scale. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, if there is a workaround, or if the feature just isn't very good.

I am an amateur so my scale isn't even very big - about 40,000 photos. Mostly of family members over 10 years. Most of the faces are of a small set of people (a ton of my direct family and a bit of friends).

The problem is that trying to accept / reject faces, at scale, is incredibly slow and frustrating. The software gets bogged down.

Here's my process:

• Goto to the People view
      • Select a person
      • Look at "Similar" photos.
      • Click on the first photo and scroll through the similar photos until I find a non-match. Then shift-select all the ones in between.
      • Click the checkmark to mark all as that name

The problems:

• Every time I do this it needs to re-scan for similar faces. but this process of me saying "yes" and it being ready for me to select more takes minutes.
      • If I want to select  or deselect an individual photo when a lot are highlighted, it takes maybe 20 seconds to accept that

Aside: Another process is to go to the "unnamed people" section and do that in order, but I find that very cumbersome to do with thousands of photos.

My guess is the software isn't designed to efficiently process this stuff at scale - with thousands of photos and hundreds to thousands of selections. But this is Lightroom, which is designed for professionals with MANY more photos than I have. So that seems baffling.

Any insight or workarounds?

Thanks a lot.