7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 10:00 AM by JasmineJasmine

Suggestion for new PC hardware

webtechy5 Level 1

Hi all,

I am a web developer who uses Microsoft Visual Studio 2013, who also spends a large part of the day in Adobe PhotoShop and increasingly I suspect Adobe After Effects (2014/2015). I also occasionally use AutoCAD. As I think Adobe After Effects will be the highest spec requirements, I am after a new PC that will render my productions quicker. My budget is around 2000 GBP (3000 USD).

Within After Effects, I use the following plugins for example:

Optical Flares (VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals)

Audio React Tunnel Music Equalizer (Audio React Tunnel Music Visualizer - After Effects Project Files | VideoHive)

Trapcode Particular 3D (https://www.redgiant.com/products/trapcode-particular/) (possibly in the future)

Party Creator Toolkit Template (Party Creator Toolkit - After Effects Project Files | VideoHive)

Currently I use a MacBook Air Core i7-4650U CPU @ 1.70 GHz 2.30 GHz with 8GB RAM and an SSD, and I RDP to a Microsoft Azure virtual machine for heavy Visual Studio development. However, for Adobe After Effects, trying to edit videos over the web wouldn't be very good I suspect for real time rendering.

I'm a little out of touch on the latest spec's of chips etc. But my thinking is:

Corsair Obsidian 750D full ATX case

Asus X99-Deluxe (Intel X99) - 10xUSB3/2xUSB2 (as I have lots of USB devices)

Fastest clocked i7 CPU (3GHz+) I can afford, with ideally 6 or 8 cores

- Intel Core i7 5930K Extreme (6 x 3.5 GHZ) - Turbo 6 x 3.7 GHZ) OVERCLOCKED UPTO 4.4 GHZ

Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Advanced Liquid Cooling)

1 SSD for OS (500GB), 1 SSD for Media (500GB)

- 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD SATA-III, Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s - Silent

32 GB or 64 GB RAM if cost allows

- Crucial 64GB 2133MHz (8x8GB) - (DDR4)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4 GB - (PCI-E) (Or should I save on this, and get the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti - 2 GB - (ZOTAC) - (PCI-E) and upgrade to Intel Core i7 5960x Extreme (8 x 3.0 GHZ - Turbo 8 x 3.5 GHZ) OVERCLOCKED UPTO 4.4 GHZ)

Corsair CX 750W PSU (enough W?)

Samsung 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - Black - (SATA)

Wireless Network Card 600Mbps (PCI-E)

Windows 10 Professional (I have the installation media for that already)

My primary question is really around which processor and which graphics card to get (as I understand the graphics card isn't of too much concern if you are not doing 3D which I'm not at the moment too often) I am a little unsure of the differences between going for a Haswell Extreme or a Xeon for example (I looked like you can't get a Xeon processor with DDR4 RAM in the online tool I used), and if I should not spend as much on the graphics card and instead upgrade the processor.

I would be interested in how the render time would compare for say a 15 second video click that takes 45 minutes on my MacBook.

Any help much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Suggestion for new PC hardware
          dissidently Level 2

Because the Nvidia line and Intel lines are at or near the end of their run, I'd focus on saving now, with a view to upgrading the newer GPUs and CPUs later this year.

get the 5820k, and save $200 there, there's nowhere near a $200 performance gain to the 5830k. Not even $20 worth, really. And the 5820's hold value well.

And don't bother with the 970, it's near the end of its life. Plus there's little to no benefit from a good GPU in AE. Just get enough for your pixels, and wait for the next generation of whatever Nvidia is doing.

• 2. Re: Suggestion for new PC hardware
            Gutterfish Adobe Community Professional

The 970 is near the end of it's life?  Why's that?

• 3. Re: Suggestion for new PC hardware
              dissidently Level 2

For a current owner, no.

For someone buying a card today, it's been in the market for a good long while, and getting near the end of its retail life.

It's also not been significantly discounted, therefore representing a bad investment, too.

Hard to recommend it for anyone but a gamer in need of a system, today, and of no use in AE.

• 4. Re: Suggestion for new PC hardware
                RjL190365 Level 4

dissidently wrote:

For a current owner, no.

For someone buying a card today, it's been in the market for a good long while, and getting near the end of its retail life.

It's also not been significantly discounted, therefore representing a bad investment, too.

Hard to recommend it for anyone but a gamer in need of a system, today, and of no use in AE.

For that matter, all of the currently available discrete graphics cards are "bad" investments: They are all too old, too slow and/or severely overpriced for their performance. Besides, OpenCL still lags significantly behind CUDA in terms of support and performance for Adobe's MPE GPU acceleration.

• 5. Re: Suggestion for new PC hardware
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Forget Samsung EVO SSD's they are older and very mediocre SSD drives this  is the day an age of Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drives and since your Motherboard directly supports one  and a second one via a PCIe card, those SSD's  are better than three times the speed of those EVO's .  Save some money and only get a 256 GB of the OS/applications boot drive

Get the X99 Deluxe U3.1 to be ready for the next generation of USB flash drives.

Forget the liquid cooling and get a good air cooler

Do not waste money on overclocked GTX 9xx cards as when running CUDA applications they down clock

Get the AX versions of the Corsair PS for best long term operation

• 6. Re: Suggestion for new PC hardware
                    webtechy5 Level 1

Thanks for all the suggestions - very useful :-)

• 7. Re: Suggestion for new PC hardware
                      JasmineJasmine

Really, that's because the Nvidia line and Intel lines are at or near the end of their run, I'd focus on saving now, with a view to upgrading the newer GPUs and CPUs later this year.