8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 4:41 PM by A.T. Romano

Cannot get Premiere Elements 14 to open, however Photoshop Elements 14 works fine.

harryr99699436

Hi all,

So I recently purchased the Premiere and Photoshop Elements 14 bundle from Amazon. I first went to install Photoshop and everything went smoothly. Photoshop works fine and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. However when I went to install Premiere is where it all went downhill. The actual installation process was smooth but whenever I try to launch the app I get the classic adobe graphics which tells me everything is loading but in the middle of all this Windows reports that Premiere Elements has "stopped working" and my only option is to close the program through the Windows troubleshooter.

I have tried reinstalling several times and have even checked with Amazon if the serial number they gave me was appropriate for a Windows PC.

I am using 64 bit Windows 10 on a brand new PC that I built myself just a couple of months ago (the build is listed below). I honestly don't know what else to do as I've never been very good with troubleshooting software. Any help is greatly appreciated, I really would like to get going on Premiere asap.

Thanks,

Harry

My Custom PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit)

Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4 Professional Wired Standard Keyboard

Other: 15m Network Cable CAT5e RJ45 Patch Ethernet 15 meter

Other: Samsung SH-224FB/BEBE 24X Internal DVD Writer with SATA - Black

• 2. Re: Cannot get Premiere Elements 14 to open, however Photoshop Elements 14 works fine.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

harryr

What is your computer operating system - Windows 10 Home 64 bit (32/64-bit). Is that a 32 bit operating system with a 64 bit processor or something else?

In that type of arrangement, I believe that Premiere Elements 14/14.1 will be a 32 bit application in a 32 bit operating system (with supported maximum RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3 or less GB are available on a system with 16 GB RAM installed...it is just not going to take advantage of your impressive computer specifications.

But, right now I would think that you should have enough resources at least to get the program installed. Running the program and creating projects of any substantial size and importing still beyond a certain pixel count are all after installation consideration.

Let us go through the typical check list

1. Does the problem exist with and without antivirus and firewalls disabled?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 14/14.1?

3. Are you running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges). Maybe also applying Run As Administrator by right click on the program's desktop icon.

4. Are you running the program with an Internet connection?

5. Is your video card/graphic card -  "Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card"  - up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Does your computer use more than 1 video card/graphics card?

6. Have you installed Premiere Elements 14 to the default location on the Local Disk C? (Can we assume that the SSD is the Local Disk C?)

If you need alternative installation files to use with your purchase serial number, please see Adobe Other Downloads Other downloads

Please consider, and then we can consider what next based on the details and results in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Cannot get Premiere Elements 14 to open, however Photoshop Elements 14 works fine.
            harryr99699436 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Firstly, Windows 10 Home 64 bit (32/64-bit) I believe means that I have the option of either installing 32 bit Windows or 64 bit Windows. Here is a link to the exact product I bought on Amazon if it is of any use; Windows 10 Home 32-bit/64-bit English International: Amazon.co.uk: Software. If I am wrong please let me know so I don't make the same mistake in the future.

Onto the basic troubleshooting:

1. Yes it exists with the firewall enabled and disabled.

2. When you say QuickTime 7 I'm assuming you mean the Apple player, although I can't see how installing that will affect Premiere (it also seems to be quite old software from what I can see). I'm assuming I'm mistaking it for something else. However if I am not then yes the problem persists with it installed and up to date (the newest version I could find. It also says it is up to date within the software itself).

3. Yes I have tried this and still the same problem.

4. Yes I am. I am using an ethernet cable if that bears and relevance.

5. I have checked the drivers are up to date (Just a side note I had a problem with the ADOBE Illustrator CC trial where it would not let me open a new or existing file until I stopped it from using my graphics card and instead it started using my CPU's on-board graphics. It then started working). No I only own and use 1 video card.

6. Yes I have and yes the SSD is the C drive.

What would I use the alternative files for? What is different about them?

Thanks,

Harry

• 5. Re: Cannot get Premiere Elements 14 to open, however Photoshop Elements 14 works fine.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Harry,

Apologizes. Your thread got out of my sight in the forum traffic.

Be back in a moment to continue.

ATR

• 6. Re: Cannot get Premiere Elements 14 to open, however Photoshop Elements 14 works fine.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Harry,

Let us continue....

1. When Premiere Elements 14 is loading, what is the last item seen on the screen before the "stop working" message?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer - specifically QuickTime 7.7.9.

QuickTime - Download - Apple

Disregard that it says Windows 7 and Vista....this is what is used for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 64 bit. QuickTime 7 is a System Requirement

and its installation has impact on Premiere Elements installation and workspace processes.

3. What is the situation with the video card/graphic card, especially in view of your experience with tryout of Adobe Illustrator CC? Are you now working with the onboard graphics disabled as you use the Radeon card? Premiere Elements typically has problems with the 2 card setup.

4. The relevancy of the Internet connection went to behind the scene activations for first time/first use features (that was more a later than sooner question)

5. The alternative source of installation files is to rule in or out the possibility of problem specific to the installation files purchased from Amazon as download or installation disc.

Please let me know at this point how much of the above you have ruled in or out by doing. Probably the good starting point is trying to target the issue from what you last see on the loading display when the "stop working" hits.

Please do not hesitate to contact me by Adobe Forum private message or in your thread, if I have not responded within a 24 hour period. Typically my responses are with a daily within the hour for a reply.  I do not work for Adobe, nor am I affiliated with it in any way. My opinions are my own, and I come and go according to my personal schedule. But, I try to contribute to each thread daily and daily leave no one without viable troubleshooting paths.

ATR

• 7. Re: Cannot get Premiere Elements 14 to open, however Photoshop Elements 14 works fine.
                  harryr99699436 Level 1

Hi again,

First I would like to apologize for my impatience. I am very appreciative that would use your own free time to help me. Myself and I'm sure many others are very grateful for the work you put it, especially considering the Adobe staff apparently aren't anywhere to be found.

Right:

1. It occurred to me that I should take a note of this. Unfortunately there does not seem to be one specific item which Adobe gets stuck on and crashes at. Upon crashes I have seen it try to load SmearAE.prm, ShakeAE.prm and ShearAE.prm. There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern in which the program crashes at after loading one of these files. It could crash three times in a row a at SmearAE.prm and then not crash at SmearAE.prm for another 10 crashes, for example.

2. Yes I used the download link you have sent. However when I installed Premiere Elements QuickTime was not installed. Does this bear any significance?

3. I only use one graphics card and on the Illustrator CC trial I have disabled it using my Radeon as that seemed to make it crash. It now uses my CPU's on board graphics and works fine.

4. Okay sure.

5. Yes I went through installing the files direct from ADOBE in a chat with a member of staff unfortunately to no avail.

Thanks again,

Harry

• 8. Re: Cannot get Premiere Elements 14 to open, however Photoshop Elements 14 works fine.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Harry

Thanks for the follow up.

QuickTime 7 is an important install with regard to Premiere Elements before and after install. So, let us see what we can do about that and determine how that is actually impacting these problems.

1. I have found that QuickTime 7 install on Windows 10 64 bit is a bit of a puzzlement. QuickTime 7.7.9, as said, is the current version. I found it released only recently.

When Premiere Elements 14/14.1 was first released, there were problems with the install of the then current version of QuickTime 7 (which was at that time 7.7.8). And, our recommendation was to go with 7.7.6 instead. It met the QuickTime 7 requirement for Premiere Elements even though it was not actually the current version.

My recent observation is this

a. I cannot get the already installed QuickTime Player to update from its Help Menu/Updates to QuickTime 7.7.9. But, I can go to the Apple web site to download and install it on my Windows 10 64 bit computer. And, Windows 10 64 bit and Premiere Elements 10 64 bit works with it.

b. We might explore the version of QuickTime 7 as well as whether you are installing via update from QuickTime 7's Help Menu/Updates or from the Apple web site to your computer.

2. Probably toward the bottom of our list is creating a new user account with administrative privileges. Then installing Premiere Elements 14 there and trying to open it from there.

3. Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins or codecs that might be conflicting in the case?

4. Although you have the latest version of the Radeon video card/graphics card installed, the card is still an component of interest

For troubleshooting purposes only at this time....

a. What happens if you disable the Radeon and go with the onboard graphics?

b. What happens if you roll back the Radeon driver?

c. Are there any further control adjustments that you can make to the Radeon card so that you can go with just it?

d. How many computer monitors? If more than one, what happens if you disable all but one?

One of the recent cases of Premiere Elements 14/14.1 will not open was resolved by the user removing all from computer, reinstalling Windows 10 64 bit and Premiere Elements 14/14.1. It is hoped that you will not be forced to this. Just in case note, use restart of the computer after significant troubleshooting steps.

ATR