4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 3:49 AM by bob.brescia

save separate puppets

bob.brescia Level 1

Is Character Animator scene oriented, not puppet oriented? I don't see any way to save a modified puppet, only appears to be able export a scene... How to build and save separate puppets?

I have several 2D Photoshop files that I am making puppets with. When I bring the first one into CA, I make a lot of changes to it. How do I then re-save that same puppet for future use? The only options I see are to make and export a scene...

• 1. Re: save separate puppets
          KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There currently is no way to export puppet edits made in the puppet panel. They are there only to affect the scene, although the edited puppet can be used in more than one scene. Some of the things that are done in the Ch puppet panel can perhaps be done to the puppet in Photoshop, maybe like adding fixed points to body parts, but most are there only to help make the puppet do what you want in the scene. Of course the various behaviors available in the Ch puppet panel are only usable in that Ch project.

• 2. Re: save separate puppets
            bob.brescia Level 1

Almost there conceptually - bear with me on this. So let's say I have 4 separate puppets built in Photoshop. I want to use them in various scenes. Some scenes will have all 4, some maybe 2 or 3 of them. So is the process:

Open AE and do a "New Project" (name it and save it)...

"Import" from the File menu a puppet or two...

Make scene

Export scene to AE

Nothing is saved anywhere until the export occurs?

Thanks!

Bob

• 3. Re: save separate puppets
              KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

So, if I understand, you are asking if the work done in Character Animator is saved. The answer to that is yes, it is saved automatically.

It is a little different that there is no file/save feature in Ch, but it all does get saved. The last project workd on opens when Ch is opened, and there is a Open Recent option under file.

• 4. Re: save separate puppets
                bob.brescia Level 1

Thank you - I understand the relationships now among the various elements. Because I am probably old school when it comes to these things, I would favor a "Save As..." function somewhere. I like to see my data files, know when and why they are created and keep multiple copies of them.