5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 9:34 AM by Y92

Lost images when moved with Lightroom

Y92

Hi

I'm experimenting with the Lightroom CC trial at the moment. Normally I keep my all my data on external hard drives attached to a small server, but the performance just isn't there for a good experience using Lightroom (no great surprise) so I decided to move all my pictures to a spare HD, so I could put my 'main' HD back on my server. I've read somewhere that it's preferable to move pictures using Lightroom, so I just moved my top level 'pictures' folder from one drive to another. Mostly, that worked fine - one file was locked and so failed to move, and for some reason Lightroom managed to lose track of where it had moved 30 or so images, but they were easily resolved (for reference, my catalogue is currently about 17,000 images).

The problem is that 100 or so images have gone AWOL. They're all in the same collection/folder and were taken relatively recently. I think the destination folder was created (I subsequently tried moving it in Finder so I can't be absolutely certain) but it was empty - unfortunately so was the source folder. The only difference I can think of between this folder and all the ones that successfully transferred is that it has an unusual letter in it (the folder is named Kīlauea, I don't know the correct name for the i!). Is this a limitation of Lightroom? If so, are there any other characters I need to avoid?

The other slightly strange thing is that the photos aren't actually showing as missing, unless I do something like trying to build a smart preview or select "show in Finder" - they don't have the exclamation mark next to them that other missing files do. Does this mean they may still be somewhere in Lightroom's grasp? They're not amazing photos and I can download jpgs from the sync'd Lightroom collection, but I'd like to get the originals back if possible. I'm just not desperate to run file recovery software on a 1tb drive...

Setup: Macbook Pro Retina, 13" running OS X El Capitan 10.11.2. Both Western Digital Passport drives, connected locally via a USB 3.0 hub. Lightroom CC 2015.3.

• 1. Re: Lost images when moved with Lightroom
          Y92 Level 1

Just to add I've now recovered the missing files. Recuva (on my Windows laptop) had the job done very efficiently.

I'm still interested to know if there's any characters that cause issues with Lightroom though.

• 2. Re: Lost images when moved with Lightroom
            dj_paige Level 9

The problem is that 100 or so images have gone AWOL. They're all in the same collection/folder and were taken relatively recently. I think the destination folder was created (I subsequently tried moving it in Finder so I can't be absolutely certain) but it was empty - unfortunately so was the source folder. The only difference I can think of between this folder and all the ones that successfully transferred is that it has an unusual letter in it (the folder is named Kīlauea, I don't know the correct name for the i!). Is this a limitation of Lightroom? If so, are there any other characters I need to avoid?

It is possible that the non-ASCII characters have caused a problem.

It is also possible that you have run into this bug: Error "file could not be moved" gets some files deleted during relocation between folders

I would advise that you no longer move large amounts of photos using Lightroom. Instead, use your operating system to copy (not move) the photos to a different location, then Update Folder Location in Lightroom and then once you are 100% sure that you have everything working properly, use your operating system to delete the originals.

• 3. Re: Lost images when moved with Lightroom
              richardplondon Level 4

I would advise that you no longer move large amounts of photos using Lightroom. Instead, use your operating system to copy (not move) the photos to a different location, then Update Folder Location in Lightroom and then once you are 100% sure that you have everything working properly, use your operating system to delete the originals.

OR ideally, move towards a "handle once" physical workflow so as to... never concern yourself again, with the entire issue of where stuff lives.

For example, suggestion:

Have LR Copy images off camera card directly to a final storage location, automatically filed in date-based subfolders, in a standard manner. Then either append specifics to the auto-generated folder names as an aid to searching (doing this from within  LR).. or else just leave them be. And manage all working processes from that point forward, by virtual means alone - flags, labels, ratngs, keywords, filters, Collections, Smart Collections.

Lightroom should IMO be used to remove, not to add, opportunities for trouble and difficulty to arise. I think of it as like a diet: in order to get the benefit, you have to stop eating all of the stuff which caused you to need the diet.

• 4. Re: Lost images when moved with Lightroom
                dj_paige Level 9

richardplondon wrote:

OR ideally, move towards a "handle once" physical workflow so as to... never concern yourself again, with the entire issue of where stuff lives.

Yes, that would be ideal. I should have mentioned that as well. In my mind, the only time photos should be moved is when the hard drive is old and potentially about to fail, or you want to replace a drive with a larger capacity drive.

• 5. Re: Lost images when moved with Lightroom
                  Y92 Level 1

Thanks for the replies. I was only using Lightroom to move files as that's what I'd seen recommended elsewhere! Looking around it appears there are a number of file copy utilities that perform file verification as part of their procedure, so it might be worth using one of those in future. Unfortunately my photos will be moved again at some point - eventually they'll end up on my proper server, but as that's still in the UK and I'm living abroad for the foreseeable future that's a little way off yet!