2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 10:43 PM by SiamJai

Editing .gif animations

Gumbo Al Level 1
      I was given a number of .gif animations to edit and re-deploy to the Web. Each anim has about 40 frames. I need to delete 2 small spots on the image in each frame. I was hoping that I could do a mass delete that would "take" on all the frames. I couldn't find a way to do it. I then tried to go to each frame and do it one delete at-a-time. What i found was that I could see and edit frame 1 but couldn't advance to the next frame to edit it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Al
        • 1. Re: Editing .gif animations
          Level 7
          Gumbo Al wrote:
          > I was given a number of .gif animations to edit and re-deploy to the Web. Each
          > anim has about 40 frames. I need to delete 2 small spots on the image in each
          > frame. I was hoping that I could do a mass delete that would "take" on all the
          > frames. I couldn't find a way to do it. I then tried to go to each frame and do
          > it one delete at-a-time. What i found was that I could see and edit frame 1 but
          > couldn't advance to the next frame to edit it. What am I doing wrong?

Can you tell us which version of Fireworks you are using? How are you
          attempting to step through the frames?

--
          Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Editing .gif animations
            SiamJai Level 2
            quote:

Originally posted by: Gumbo Al
            I was given a number of .gif animations to edit and re-deploy to the Web. Each anim has about 40 frames. I need to delete 2 small spots on the image in each frame. I was hoping that I could do a mass delete that would "take" on all the frames. I couldn't find a way to do it. I then tried to go to each frame and do it one delete at-a-time. What i found was that I could see and edit frame 1 but couldn't advance to the next frame to edit it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Al

Hi Al,

Without seeing the actual image and knowing what version of Fireworks you have, it's difficult to give the exact solution. However, there could be at least two ways you could get this done with little effort.

If the two spots in question can be covered up instead of removing, you can create a new top layer in the first frame, draw some cover graphic directly on the problem spots and share the layer to all frames. This will essentially hide the problem spots in all frames throughout the animation.

If the spots can't be easily covered, there is a slightly more complicated but just as quick method that involves extracting all frames of the animation into a single layer. Let's see if the first method works before going into details unnecessarily. :-)

Best luck!

----
            SiamJai
            Fireworks Resource Center