8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 9:13 AM by A.T. Romano

MAC X and Premier Elements Photo editing

Alphalogan

Using Mac OS X I want to edit a photograph on my timeline in Premier Elements 13 but the "Edit in Photoshop" is greyed out. I am using Photoshop Elements 12. Is there anything I can do to overcome this problem? Thanks

• 1. Re: MAC X and Premier Elements Photo editing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alphalogan

The Premiere Elements 12 Mac option of "Edit in Photoshop Elements" is an integrated feature of specifically Premiere Elements 12 Mac and Photoshop Elements 12 Mac.

If that case, it would seem - editing the photo in Photoshop Elements 13 Mac before import of it into your Premiere Elements 12 project.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. I will give you a Windows idea, and have you explore it from the Mac perspective.

In my Premiere Elements 12 Windows project, besides the Edit in Photoshop Elements option is the Edit Original.

When I select Edit Original, the Windows Photo Viewer opens with the photo that I have selected in Premiere Elements 12 Window project.

Windows Photo Viewer has an option "Open" which allows me to open the photo in another application. In my case, I selected Premiere Elements 14 Windows,

edited the photo, and ended up with the edited version in the Premiere Elements 12 Windows project. But, in this route, the original was edited on the hard drive. I would have to test further to determine if I could salvage the original by using the file saving option of saving in version set along with original.

Please consider, and let us know of any of the above worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: MAC X and Premier Elements Photo editing
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As ATR implies, Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements only pass files between each other if they are the same version. Premiere Elements 13 will include an Edit Original link to Photoshop Elements 13, for instance. But Premiere Elements 13 won't build an automatic link to Photoshop Elements 12 that I know of -- and I know of no way to force it to.

• 3. Re: MAC X and Premier Elements Photo editing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Alphalogan

My post 1 stands as written for the outcome

a. You need an integrated set of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements in order to work with the Timeline photo option of "Edit in Photoshop Elements"

but

b. The Edit Original photo option, instead of Edit in Photoshop Elements, can be used to bypass this problem of non integrated set.

However, for my model in post 1, I used the photo in Premiere Elements 12 and the editing in Photoshop Elements 14 to demonstrate the point about Edit Original perk.

Now let me repeat what I wrote before, but this time being specific to your versions...and also correcting the Open selected in Windows Photo Viewer...the opened application for editing of the photo was Photoshop Elements 14, not Premiere Elements 14 (sorry for that typing oops).

In my Premiere Elements 13 Windows project, besides the Edit in Photoshop Elements option is the Edit Original.

When I select Edit Original, the Windows Photo Viewer opens with the photo that I have selected in Premiere Elements 13 Window project.

Windows Photo Viewer has an option "Open" which allows me to open the photo in another application. Under "Open", I browse to and select Photoshop Elements 12; the selected Premiere Elements 13 photo opens there; I edited the photo; and ended up with the edited version in the Premiere Elements 13 Windows project. But, in this route, the original was edited on the hard drive. I would have to test further to determine if I could salvage the hard drive saved original by using an option in the Save In dialog.

I have repeated this procedure several times, and it has consistently worked for me in my Windows computer environment.

If you need for me to go into finer details of what I did, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: MAC X and Premier Elements Photo editing
                Alphalogan Level 1

Many thanks for your help. Unfortunately when I use Edit Original it opens the photograph in Preview and whilst this has limited editing facilities they are nowhere as good as Photoshop and also there is no option to open the photo in an alternative programme such as Photoshop.  It looks as if I shall have to upgrade to Photoshop Elements 13 and this should then work with Premier Elements 13. So once again thank you all for your advice it is appreciated.

• 5. Re: MAC X and Premier Elements Photo editing
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Alphalogan

Thanks for the update. I am still thinking that we can get Edit Original to work for you.

You say that your Edit Original opens the photograph in Preview with limited editing facilities.

Please see if you can translate my Windows plan into Mac to work for you.

1. Windows 7 64 bit....

Go to Control Panel/Default Programs/Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program.

Set all jpeg to open with Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 - before I had mine opening with Windows Photo Viewer and had to use its "Open" there to set for Adobe Photoshop Elements 12.

2. Then, when you use Edit Original on your  Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Timeline jpeg, it will open for editing in Adobe Photoshop Elements 12. Then it is just a matter of saving the edits, making sure that you have the same file name, and the photo edits end up directly in the photo on your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Timeline.

Based on articles like the following, I think it is a can do.

Change File Associations in Mac OS X

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: MAC X and Premier Elements Photo editing
                    Alphalogan Level 1

Many thanks will give it a try and let you know how I get on

• 7. Re: MAC X and Premier Elements Photo editing
                      Alphalogan Level 1

Thank you, it works! Well done.

For Mac users who may be interested the procedure is, in "Finder", right click on a photograph which is probably a JPEG, on the menu that opens click on "Get info", this will open a window giving information on the photograph and at the bottom you will find "Open with", by default this will show "Preview", using the arrows scroll to "Photoshop", (or any other programme you may prefer) click on it to select. Under this box is another box "Change all" click on this, you will then be asked to confirm you mean change all JPEG images to open in "Photoshop", click OK and then as ATR says above.

Many thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: MAC X and Premier Elements Photo editing
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Alphalogan

Magnificent news. Great job and thanks for posting and sharing the Mac details of the how to. Great contribution.

Best wishes and thanks for asking such an interesting question.

ATR