3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 2:51 PM by wobertc

deleting duplicates

cindeek19864892

In looking at my collection of 10,000 photos I have many photos that are duplicates that I do not need to keep. Is there a way to have lightroom clean up my folders and delete the duplicates other than me going through one by one and deleting them ?

• 1. Re: deleting duplicates
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom itself will not do this, but there are third party utilities that can perform this task. I don't remember their names, but if you search this forum, I'm sure you will find some suggestions.

• 2. Re: deleting duplicates
            msiladi

PowerPhotos

• 3. Re: deleting duplicates
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Teekesselchen is a fast duplicate finder plug-in for Adobe Lightroom using EXIF meta-data. It is open source and free of charge. It requires Lightroom 3.x, 4.x, 5.x or CC 2015 and runs on Windows as well as on Mac OS X.

Teekesselchen: Home

Teekesselchen: Tutorial

I have used this with Lr CC2015.10 with success.

Using Lightroom, it creates a Collection in the Collection Panel with thumbnails of any images it believes to be duplicates, then it is up to you to decide which ones to delete.

A hint: When viewing the 'duplicates' in the created Collection, use Ctrl+J to set the Expanded Cell Extras to show 1) Folder 2) cropped dimensions. This gives an immediate reference to each photos location and filesize.  (eg. maybe the dupes are tiny exported jpgs )

Be aware: That if you use any software that works externally to Lightroom to delete photos, (such as PowerPhotos, AusLogics Duplicate Finder, etc), Photos that were in the Lr Catalog will now show as 'Missing' and you have more steps to tidy the catalog.