8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 1:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Is the CPU or hard drive(s) or graphics card doing the most work while editing

genesmachine

So.... i have an i5 Skylake CPU and 12 gigs of Ram... i have an ASUS Z-170-Deluxe mobo...  and a SSD for programs and 2 mechanical drives for editing on and right now i am using PreEl10...

what would help with getting the best performance while editing? A high quality graphics card or a Intel series 750 SSD? i see that the intel 750 SSD is very fast and i wonder of i put all the files on it that i wanted to use to edit, would that help make editing less jerky and faster? or a graphics card? as a sidebar to that: i am using two monitors now and i wonder if getting a single large 29" monitor would be better than the two monitors?  (if i went to one large monitor maybe i could use a newer version of PreEl as everyting would be on on screen and i wouldn't have to be going back and forth between monitors where i have unlinked the video monitor and moved it to the second screen)

i frequently am editing 3 video tracks and a sound track and then once i start putting effects or transitions things slow WAYYY down. i don't want to have to stop frequently to render those work areas to be able to proceed with the editing if i dont have to ...

sooo...

a) new SSD?

b) graphics card?

c) large monitor?

thanks,

gene

• 1. Re: Is the CPU or hard drive(s) or graphics card doing the most work while editing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Certainly a solid state hard drive is faster than a traditional. In fact, its recall is pretty much immediate.

But, while editing with Premiere Elements, it's really all about the CPU -- though in the current versions, a good RAM load will help too.

This benchmark chart has been very helpful for me in comparing performance of various processors. I'm pretty happy with mine, which scores a 6000.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

• 2. Re: Is the CPU or hard drive(s) or graphics card doing the most work while editing
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

Sounds like you are still with Premiere Element 10 on Windows 7 64 bit. About 2 months ago, we discussed many of the factors that you are bringing up in this thread that we are in now.

Premiere Elements (any version does not support CUDA). So no fancy video card/graphics card applicable for that consideration. If you were using Premiere Elements 13/13.1, 14/14.1 Windows and your computer was using specifically an Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher video card/graphics card, you could use Hardware Acceleration when you enabled that preference in the program.

The Dual Monitor feature of Premiere Element 10 is not the same as that used by Adobe after 10. No more undocking the video monitor.

As for two smaller monitor versus 1 larger one...that would take you to video card/graphics card support consideration and what the card would support. A Premiere Elements factor in the choice of the larger monitor and its native resolution will probably be the scaling involved. Please check out the following online article on single large or dual monitor (lesser size)

Ultrawide vs Dual Monitors: Which Are Better for Productivity?

Please consider.

ATR

• 3. Re: Is the CPU or hard drive(s) or graphics card doing the most work while editing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

Just a side note...regarding my post 2

When I hit the Add reply button, there were no other replies seen for your thread. And, I found my post delayed by this web site processing.

I will continue to reply in this thread in response to further questions answers as indicated.

ATR

• 4. Re: Is the CPU or hard drive(s) or graphics card doing the most work while editing
                genesmachine Level 1

Thanks A.T.   i have the intel i5 6600 skylake at 3.5 Ghz rated at 7814 on the PassMark chart so that should do well... yet it seems to stutter at times so that is why i wondered if there were any more that i can do to make this work better. does a graphics card with its own cpu and ram help out while editing? or are there any other suggestions that you could make to further tweek my system?

thanks

• 5. Re: Is the CPU or hard drive(s) or graphics card doing the most work while editing
                  genesmachine Level 1

AT.. yes i still use PreEl10 becsuse i didnt like the way versions after 10 handled the unlinked monitor in that some of the tools went with it so that some tools were on the monitor monitor (lol) and the timeline was on the other monitor making for a rather crappy work space. so i was wondering if i got  the large monitor (21:9, 29") all would be on the one monitor and make for easier editing. so that is one question.

the other is that i dont understand CUDA thing...how much does that affect editing? would i have to go to another editing program to enable CUDA and is it worth it?

my ASUS mobo has intel HD Graphics 530... so how do i enable hardware acceleration and will that help make things run better? I know that we have been down this path before and i do appreciate both of you helping me figure this out.

• 6. Re: Is the CPU or hard drive(s) or graphics card doing the most work while editing
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

Thanks for the replies.

Referring to your post 5 and CUDA which Premiere Pro supports with specific NVIDIA video card graphics card but not Premiere Elements.....

I found the following 2013 Premiere Pro Forum thread online in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva shares excellent overview of CUDA and Adobe.

Mercury, CUDA, and what it all means

The NVIDIA web site also has technology information on its CUDA

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2012/09/10/what-is-cuda-2/

Lots more CUDA information online, but, from the Premiere Elements perspective, it is not supported (any version to date).

Hardware Acceleration ("rendering and Publish/Share (MPEG and AVC presets)

is not offered to Premiere Elements until Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14/14.1 and then

a. Windows Only

coupled with

b. Computer using Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher video card/graphics card (enabled in preferences)

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2015/08/pe-13131-hardware-acceleration.html

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Is the CPU or hard drive(s) or graphics card doing the most work while editing
                      genesmachine Level 1

Ok then (LOL) ....

let me ask this... since PreEl won't use CUDA and my computer mobo ONLY has Intel HD graphics 530 and not 2000 and above....

and since i dont like the way versions past 10 handle the unlinked monitor....

and since Preel 10 won't work with newer nVidia cards or ones with newer drivers.....

how would it be if i used a newer version of PreEl, a large single monitor and a newer nVidia graphics card? ( would i need a graphics card to make this work? as the ASUS Z170-Deluxe has HDMI, DVI and display post outputs, or would graphics card help out?) would that make for better editing?

any other specs that i could consider to make for a very good desk top editing machine?

have i asked enough questions to make you guys crazy?

thanks,

gene

• 8. Re: Is the CPU or hard drive(s) or graphics card doing the most work while editing
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

1. If you go to Premiere Elements 14/14.1...

a. that frees you of the specific Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce curse which forces you to work with a May 2013 driver version rather than the up to date driver version for the NVIDIA GeForce card that you have...that alone may be high on the gain side.

b. switching to an Intel HD graphics 2000 and higher for Hardware Acceleration is supported which is supposed to help your with rendering and Export & Share/AVC and MPEG presets (see prior reference on that)....but I have yet to see quantification on that perk.

c. furthermore, now 14/14.1 dual monitor does not allow for moving the monitor which promotes the idea of one larger monitor...this factor could force your thinking to the large single monitor....also decision on monitor connection HDMI vs DVI (not sure if the following is of interest on that point HDMI vs. DisplayPort vs. DVI vs. VGA: Which connection to choose? - CNET)

I do not see a super video card/graphics card impacting your Premiere Elements except to the extent that the card supports whatever monitor you opt to go with.

More installed RAM is typically a perk.

The non technical considerations could be the deal breakers - mostly cost of the single larger monitor - then to lesser extent, cost of the video card/graphics card more installed RAM

I do not want to lose you to a higher end product, but there is the higher $$$$ choice of Pro versions of video editor.

ATR