6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 10:33 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I fix or avoid "Offline (filter unavailable)" situations?

darleysam

Using Premiere Elements 14, on two different projects now I've found that my volume changes throughout the entire project have been reset. As an example, where I might have set it to fade in or out, the keyframes might remain but the sound will just play at a constant volume. Checking in Applied Effects, it gives the message "Offline (filter unavailable)" which seems to indicate that it's lost the ability to change the volume. I've no idea how to prevent this or resolve it if it happens again.

As to what's triggering it, I don't have any certain ideas at the moment. I believe that on both projects I have used 'save as copy' to make a second copy to work on separately to the main project, but I've yet to pin that down as the cause. Has anyone else had this, and found a solution?

• 1. Re: How do I fix or avoid "Offline (filter unavailable)" situations?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

darleysam

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 14? Have you updated 14 to 14.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

You wrote

As an example, where I might have set it to fade in or out, the keyframes might remain but the sound will just play at a constant volume. Checking in Applied Effects, it gives the message "Offline (filter unavailable)"

The fades appear to be disappearing sound-wise. Do you find that the dB reading for each of the keyframes "numbers" in Show Keyframe Controls workspace reflects no sound (infinity set) during the periods (1 sec)  where fades are supposed to be happening?

What are the properties of these audio files, including whether stereo or 5.1 channel and what audio effects were ever applied to it.

Please consider, then we will think about this some more.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I fix or avoid "Offline (filter unavailable)" situations?
            darleysam Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

I'm running Windows 10 and Premiere Elements 14.1 (ran the update checker and it reported that everything is up to date).

I'm not entirely clear on what the 'Show Keyframe Controls' workspace is, but I'll try to further explain what I'm seeing. I have a clip that on the timeline, I set to "Fade In Audio and Video" which created the two keyframes and fade between them automatically. The video fades in, but while the audio shows the path, it starts and ends at the same volume. I can drag the keyframes or the path up and down and it reports a change in dB as I do so, but when played back the volume is unchanged. On the right, under Applied Effects, I still have use of the Motion and Opacity tabs, but Volume just says "Offline (filter unavailable)".

I don't believe I've applied any audio effects to the track, and Premiere gives me these details:

Source Audio Format - 48000 Hz - compressed - Mono

Project Audio Format - 32 bit floating point - Mono

In the same project I have a separate audio track, recorded from a different source, that isn't affected by this problem.

• 3. Re: How do I fix or avoid "Offline (filter unavailable)" situations?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

darketsam

Thanks for the follow up with more details of your audio situation. Please confirm my understanding of your issue....

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 10 64 bit

You have applied the Fade In Audio and Video to the Timeline clip and obtaining the following for the keyframes placed?

Video. Opacity = 0.0% at 00;00;00;00 and 100% at 00;00;01;29

and

Audio. Volume = -23.6 dB at 00;00;00;00 and 0.0 dB at 00;00;00;29

fades.JPG

Are you saying that, for the audio, from 00;00;00;00 to 00;00;00;29 the Volume is 0.0 dB the normal Volume in spite of the placement of the two audio keyframes and slant of the audio clip yellow rubber band?

You have written

On the right, under Applied Effects, I still have use of the Motion and Opacity tabs, but Volume just says "Offline (filter unavailable)".

The Volume Panel is not in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/ as is the Opacity Panel. It is Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/

Where are you seeing the "Offline (filter unavailable)". Please point that out. If a screenshot would help, please post one of the message.

The specified item was not found.

I have tried several variation of recreating the problem in Premiere Elements and have been not been able to do that.

What was you answer with regard to the audio format besides the audio data already provided. Also what are the properties of your file with the audio and video components.

No effects applied? No Time Stretching of the file?

Please consider.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I fix or avoid "Offline (filter unavailable)" situations?
                darleysam Level 1

The time of the full opacity/volume keyframes is slightly different (they are both at 00:00:01:00) but essentially yes. The audio plays at a constant volume, not increasing from silent, while the bands look as if they are set to blend from 0.0dB to 00.5dB.

longdarkerror1.jpg

longdarkerror2.jpg

In the first screenshot, the first clip with the blend shows where I am having the problem in the Applied Effects tab, and the second shot shows a comparison for a second clip. I hadn't actually looked in the 'Adjust' tab and the volume controls there seem to be intact, so now I'm really curious as to what's going on here... but since that works it would appear to be a solution to my problem!

I'll provide the rest of the information you've requested in case it might still be helpful in figuring out what's happening anyway:

The audio is encoded in AAC, and is 48khz mono at 54kbs. The only applied effects were the Volume alterations I was attempting to do using the Volume controls visible in the second picture.

SO, thank you for your help, I very much appreciate it!

• 5. Re: How do I fix or avoid "Offline (filter unavailable)" situations?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

darleysam

Thank you for those screenshots. Very important information.

There is something seriously wrong that has not been pointed to.

You say that you are using Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 (assumed 64 bit computer). Version 14 seems confirmed by the presence of Export & Share in the workspace shown in your screenshot. But....

In no way are you supposed to be getting a Volume Panel under the Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette.

That Volume Panel presents under the Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/.

Do you have a Volume Panel under Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/? If yes,

Is the Volume Panel there under Adjust Tab just for the problem audio or is it there all the time, especially when you are using your other audio from another source.

Another matter to be iron out....with my Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit, the Fade In Volume times are 00;00;00;00 and 00;00;00;29, and Fade In Opacity times are 00;00;00;00 and 00;00;01;29. That surprised me since I recall them each being 00;00;00;00 and 00;00;01;00.

Please consider and give more details on the points mentioned above. Very interesting.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I fix or avoid "Offline (filter unavailable)" situations?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

darleysam

Add On to post 5

Depending on your results and comments on the details, would you consider sending a small sample of the problem audio as a shareable link posted in your thread (using Google Drive or Dropbox) The link content would downloadable in this public forum. So, please do not send anything that would invade your privacy.

The details for doing that with Google Drive

1. Click on Google Drive - Cloud Storage & File Backup for Photos, Docs & More   and click on Go To Google Drive

2. Click on the red New button, then File Upload. Browse to and select the video for sending.

3. Right click the video thumbnail that is placed in the Google Drive view of thumbnails and click on Share in the drop down menu.

4. In the "Share with others" dialog that pops up, click on "Get Shareable Link".

5. Under "Anyone with link can view" in the dialog, copy the link shown and paste that link in your thread reply.

ATR