14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 3:40 PM by trshaner

What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?

Jesse Barnum

I have a 100 gigabyte photo library. Is there a way to keep the catalog and image thumbnails on my computer, but archive the high resolution images to cloud storage somewhere in order to save space on my hard drive? If so, is there some way that Lightroom can automatically retrieve them if they are needed, ie. if I want to print or export the image?

• 1. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom really doesn't work with cloud storage of images.

If you wanted to archive the images to the cloud, you'd have to do this manually, and retrieve the images manually as well. (Which means there are lots of chances to make a mistake, and so I don't recommend this unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing in both the cloud end of things and with Lightroom)

Or you could purchase an external HD, which are relatively inexpensive, and move the photos to there.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
            Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Jesse Barnum,

So you want to keep the files on Cloud, and then import the files from Cloud in Lightroom ?

Are you talking about Creative Cloud space, or are you talking about any other Cloud Storage ?

Regards,

Tanuj

• 3. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
              Jesse Barnum Level 1

I want to be able to load photos from the camera memory card into Lightroom, do all my normal editing operations, and have the high resolution images stored on some cloud storage service as opposed to taking space in my computer's hard drive.

ideally this would work automatically, without me needing to manually move any files around on the file system.

I don't know whether Creative Cloud would do this or not. I get the impression that it does, but it's too small for any significant use (it doesn't sound like can buy extra storage over the 2 or 20 gigs that it comes with).

• 4. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jesse Barnum wrote:

I have a 100 gigabyte photo library. Is there a way to keep the catalog and image thumbnails on my computer, but archive the high resolution images to cloud storage somewhere in order to save space on my hard drive? If so, is there some way that Lightroom can automatically retrieve them if they are needed, ie. if I want to print or export the image?

What size is your computer's hard drive and how much free space do you have left? 100 GB of storage is a relatively small amount of space with today's 1TB+ hard drives. On the other hand it is a very large amount of storage for usage in the Cloud. Another possible option is to store your original image files on an external hard drive and create Smart Previews that are stored on your systems internal hard drive. This usually only makes sense when for some reason you don't have access to the external hard drive. For example when using a laptop at work, home, and while traveling.

How to edit photos in Lightroom using an external drive | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

• 5. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
                  dj_paige Level 9

ideally this would work automatically, without me needing to manually move any files around on the file system.

As far as I know, it can't be done automatically

I don't know whether Creative Cloud would do this or not. I get the impression that it does, but it's too small for any significant use (it doesn't sound like can buy extra storage over the 2 or 20 gigs that it comes with).

Creative Cloud is not a method of storing your original photos. It does not do what you are asking.

• 6. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
                    Jesse Barnum Level 1

I am on a Mac laptop with a 512 gig SSD drive. Because I am starting to do RAW + JPEG more often (instead of just JPEG), I am noticing a rapid rise in the space used for the internal hard drive in my laptop. I currently only have 10 gigabytes free, and I'm trying to do something to shrink my photo library, which is the single largest use of space on the drive.

100 gigabytes of storage on Amazon S3 costs $3/month, which seems very reasonable to me, especially since I know it's safe from theft / fire / loss / etc. I would prefer not to rely on an external hard drive - most of my photography is taken while traveling, and I don't want to add a ruggedized external hard drive to the amount of gear to carry. I would also like access to my entire hi-res photo library when I am on the road. In addition, I don't want to risk losing all of my photos if something happens to the hard drive, so it seems like I would need cloud storage even with the external drive.

• 7. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom is not designed to directly access high-resolution images stored in the cloud. I have never tried this, but some people have success using dropbox, keeping their catalog and preview images in dropbox with the images stored in the cloud. But there seems to be a lot of potential for problems using this method. It is absolutely necessary that you allow time for dropbox to synchronize with the cloud. I'm not recommending this method, but it's about the only way you can accomplish what you are looking for. If you want to take the risk, that is up to you. Really, the best solution is to put your images and catalog on an external hard drive.

• 8. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
                        dj_paige Level 9

Yes, I agree that Dropbox is a possibility, except that the user has asked for "automatic" usage of cloud storage by Lightroom, I keep reverting to the fact that neither DropBox nor any other cloud storage mechanism that I know of is going to be "automatic" where Lightroom is concerned. If you want the photos to be in the cloud and not on the local disks, then you can't get "automatic" usage of the cloud version of the photos through Lightroom.

• 9. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?

Jesse Barnum wrote:

I am on a Mac laptop with a 512 gig SSD drive.

I currently only have 10 gigabytes free, and I'm trying to do something to shrink my photo library, which is the single largest use of space on the drive.

Jesse, in your original post you said, "I have a 100 gigabyte photo library." In the above post you mention your photo library "is the single largest use of space on the drive."

I'm using a 256 GB SSD on my Windows 7 system for OS (45 GB), Apps (55 GB), and the LR Catalog (35 GB) and have ~100 GB free space. Along with LR I have PS, ID, AI, and numerous other applications installed.

It's hard to believe that you have only 10 GB of free space on your 512 GB SSD. In fact your system wouldn't run properly if you only have 10 GB free space on the system drive!

Please run the below check of free space and see where the 512 GB (- 10 GB) is being used:

How to check your Mac's free hard drive space | Macworld

• 10. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
                            CycleDude

Jesse,

I'd offer this if it helps.  I was running out of disk space on my hard drive as my photo library was approaching 275GB.  So I bought a 3TB external drive (drive F).  I use my hard drive only for the thumbnails, the external drive for the actual photo directory and LR catalog.  I also have another external drive (drive O) that serves as a continual backup of both the hard drive and external drive.  Even if you could put it on the cloud, upload/downloading that much data would be slow.

• 11. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
                              Jesse Barnum Level 1

Hi trshaner - I was incorrect, my hard drive is 750 gigabytes. I was getting mixed up with my wife's laptop. Free space right now is 48.96 GB because I just uploaded a bunch of video files up to S3 and deleted them from my hard drive; but it was down to 9 gigabytes before I did that.

53 gigs: Applications

121 gigs: Library (mostly Mail, which is 29 gigs, and Application support, which is 53 gigs)

113 gigs: Pictures

85 gigs: Music and commercial movies

68 gigs: Documents (mostly Windows VMs for software development and testing)

54 gigs: Personal movies

12 gigs: Software development projects

etc...

Regardless of these details, it's inevitable that I will run out of free space on my internal hard drive. I'm just trying to come up with a solution before I get to a point where there's nothing left to archive.

• 12. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
                                Jesse Barnum Level 1

Thanks everybody for the replies. It seems like the consensus is that LR either requires all data to be stored on local hard drives, or requires a bunch of manual file manipulation to use cloud storage.

I'm going to see if I can write a utility that appears as a local hard drive, but which will cache the data locally until it can be uploaded to a cloud storage engine, such as S3. I think that will solve my problem.

• 13. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?
                                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Seems like a really simple solution would be an external drive for your pictures (and movies if you desire).

• 14. Re: What is the best way to archive high resolution images to cloud storage?

Jesse Barnum wrote:

I'm going to see if I can write a utility that appears as a local hard drive, but which will cache the data locally until it can be uploaded to a cloud storage engine, such as S3. I think that will solve my problem.

Local Storage Transfer Speed: ~100 MB/s to 300 MB/s

Cloud Transfer Speed: 50 Mb/s (6.25 MB/s)

Cloud Transfer Speed: 15 Mb/s (1.875 MB/s)

Open a 25MB raw file in the Develop module:

Local HDD: 25 MB ÷ 100 MB/s = .25 s

Cloud Connection: 25 MB ÷ 6.25 MB/s = 4.0 s

Cloud Connection: 25 MB ÷ 1.875 MB/s = 13.3 s

You'll need to use Smart Previews stored locally on the SSD or it's going to be painfully slow in the Develop module. If you come up with an idea on how to implement this please let us know.