13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2009 11:52 AM by kglad

help

geiris
      hello
      iam new to flash and so iam wondering how i shold build this flash movie. i dont have much time doing this, the deadline is in two days. but the movie is not going to be complicated at all, and the graphic is all done.
      you see, the movie is going to look like THIS
      and the functions is going to be like this: when i click the next button on each icon in the bottom left, it is going to show different types of trees, bakgrounds and so. that is all. the picture is a psd file with everything as layers. i started to import the file to flash(cs4) and now the question is, how to do the animation?
      sorry if i ask to big. but pleas just give me something to start with, anything at all.
      thank you
        • 1. Re: help
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          put each "scene of trees and backgrounds etc" on a different keyframe of the main timeline. then have your buttons direct the main timeline the the corresponding keyframe.
          • 2. Re: help
            geiris Level 1
            allright, now i just did that.
            then, what will be the script for the buttons?
            anyway, will there not be problems when i am going to show more frames at the same time, i mean a frame is a frame and will only show it contents. if the tree i want is at frame 5, and i change the type of fence at frame 7, the tree i changed is gone. or am i missing something?
            • 3. Re: help
              use the gotoAndStop() or gotoAndPlay() movieclip methods to direct your timeline.

an object placed in keyframe 5 will be visible on-stage until another keyframe is reached that does not contain that object. so, if you have a tree and fence on frame 5 and you want a different fence on frame 7 but the same tree, place the tree and fence in frame 5 on different layers. use a keyframe on frame 7 on the fence layer to change the fence. the tree will remain unchanged on frame 7.
              • 4. Re: help
                geiris Level 1
                pfffh!
                eather iam not explaining good enougt or iam stupid hehe. i just dont get this. the thing is that when i change a tree, there is no way i can do changes to the fence too, there is no way to set up key frames to manage that. you see, there are several types of jacuzzies, houses, trees, fences ect.
                i only got to change one type of objects, it is not possible to change two with this methode.

you could try your self: make two buttons, to each control three objects. when you click one of the buttons you should be able to cycle trough the three objects linked to that exact button. and so on for the other button. you should by this be able to make your own composition of objects.

• 5. Re: help
                  the buttons won't control objects. they'll control the main timeline.

however, if you want to be able to display all combinations of jacuzzi's, houses, trees, fences etc using the timeline is very laborious and impractical.

you should using actionscript to create your display. for each tree-type you create a movieclip and give each a linkage id. you can then bring each tree type to the stage by using the attachMovie() method of movieclips. similarly, for jacuzzi's, houses etc.

you would then need some way to determine what to present on-stage possibly based on the user's choices. that way you could present 100's or 1000's of possible displays without having to create each one on the timeline.

• 6. Re: help
                    geiris Level 1
                    sorry, i guess i need practice. i need a more specific step by step help.
                    if anybody could pleas make me a simple flash file that i can look at, like this:
                    make two buttons, to each control three objects. when you click one of the buttons you should be able to cycle trough the three objects linked to that exact button. and so on for the other button. you should by this be able to make your own composition of objects.

it would mean so wery wery much to me. thanx
                    and thanx kglad for help so far!!
                    • 7. help
                      geiris Level 1
                      edit: error with forum, post duplicated. sorry
                      • 8. help
                        geiris Level 1
                        edit: error with forum, post duplicated. sorry
                        • 9. Re: help
                          www.kglad.com/Files/Untitled-2.fla
                          • 10. Re: help
                            geiris Level 1
                            thank you so much so much kglad! you are realy the man.
                            that flash file did the trick. and it was a realy nice way to learn, by looking at your scripting.
                            i just finnished the project in time! i can thank you for that!

the result is here: HERE

thanx again kglad!!
                            • 11. Re: help
                              you're welcome.

p.s. you should make a preloader for that site.
                              • 12. Re: help
                                geiris Level 1
                                yes. i think i will make that preloader. but hey, lets say i want to take the movie file a bit further. this time i want to animate something, for ex. i want to put in some steam on top of the water. i tried to add the steam by making a movie clip of some animated steam. but what happends is that the steam starts to loop at once the file is opened. what i want is the animation to start when i hit the jacuzzy button. can you please tell me how?

thanx
                                • 13. Re: help
                                  add the steam movieclip to the jacuzzi movieclip.

and in the steam movieclip copy the frames and paste them to extend the steam timeline twice as far as its original length. then click and drag the 2nd half of the frames, right click and click reverse. your steam will now loop seamlessly.