12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 3:42 PM by jerryw48492253

Internal Error Code

jerryw48492253 Level 1

I realize the product is fairly new. But I had a simple PSD file that I tried to bring into CA. I got the following error:

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 5.08.48 PM.png

Happy to upload the PSD if someone wants to look at it.

• 1. Re: Internal Error Code
          Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

If you can send me a private message with a shared link to the PSD, along with any specific instructions on how you encountered this error, that'd be helpful to try to reproduce/diagnose the issue. Thanks for letting us know about it.

• 2. Re: Internal Error Code
            jerryw48492253 Level 1

I have sent you a link to the file. I have been able to import OTHER RGB PSD files into Character Animator without issues.

• 3. Re: Internal Error Code

Thanks for sending it. I'm able to repro the issue here. I'll let you know if I find a workaround for that file.

• 4. Re: Internal Error Code

The problematic issue seems to be that "Layer 1"-named layer, which internally has no name and causes some confusion for us. Do you recall how that layer was created or named? Was the PSD originally generated from another app? Any details you can provide about the creation of that layer would be helpful. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Internal Error Code

The problematic issue seems to be that "Layer 1"-named layer, which internally has no name and causes some confusion for us. Do you recall how that layer was created or named? Was the PSD originally generated from another app? Any details you can provide about the creation of that layer would be helpful. Thanks.

• 6. Re: Internal Error Code
                    jerryw48492253 Level 1

Yes, I created this character inside Adobe's new character building software "Fuse". Originally it came into Photoshop with all the 3D rigging in place. I set the character's facial expression to a few positions and rasterized each layer.

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 1.19.53 PM.png

• 7. Re: Internal Error Code

Thanks, I'll try to repro from Fuse as well, and will log a bug with the Fuse team to make sure they're generating compatible PSD files. We'll work around this issue for the next preview release, but if you need a solution soon I can invite you to our prerelease program if you want to try it out (once we make that prerelease build with that workaround available).

• 8. Re: Internal Error Code
                        jerryw48492253 Level 1

Thank you. I am just experimenting, but I would be happy to test this out.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Jeff Almasol <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: Internal Error Code

I'm trying to reproduce the error from scratch, but want to confirm the steps you did. I tried: 1. In Fuse, create a new model with torso, leg, arm, and head selected. I just chose the first from each section. 2. Click Save to CC Libraries, and save the FuseModel to a new library named "fuse". 3. In Photoshop, double-click the FuseModel in the "fuse" library to open it. 4. Right-click the "Layer 1" layer, then choose Rasterize 3D. 5. Save the file as a .psd. 6. Import the file into Character Animator. That seemed to work for me, so I'm wondering if there are specific settings or options for body parts that are inducing this error. Any details you can provide will be helpful. As for prerelease, sure, I can get an invitation e-mail out to you soon. Thanks.

• 10. Re: Internal Error Code
                            mcfwitt@gmail.com Level 1

Here is a link to both the Fuse project and the PSD I imported. I basically followed the steps you outlined, but I did duplicate the rigged 3D layer to produce an alternate expression. And then I rasterized the layers.

FuseToPSD.zip - Box

• 11. Re: Internal Error Code

Thanks for the file. I've logged the issue with the Fuse team.

What seems to be happening is that the Fuse-originated layer has a blank name internally, even though it shows as "Layer 1" in the Photoshop UI. You can see how it's blank in Photoshop by trying to duplicate the layer (the Duplicate Layer dialog box shows a default name of " copy") or by using File > Export > Layers to Files (which generates a file with that layer's name part as blank, just the prefix and extension). Simply renaming that Photoshop layer won't get it to have a proper layer name and avoid these issues. However, the following seems to be a workaround for now:

1. In Photoshop, duplicate the "Layer 1" layer from Fuse, then give it some custom name.
                              2. Delete the original "Layer 1" layer.

A saved PSD from that document should import as expected in Character Animator Preview 3 and earlier.

We'll provide a workaround in Preview 4 so you won't have to do this duplicate/delete trick.

Thanks for letting us know about this issue.

• 12. Re: Internal Error Code
                                jerryw48492253 Level 1

Glad to help. Thanks for tracking down the source!

Jerry