Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Integrated Pipeline Mode breaks my CF11, but Classic Mode does not

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have ran into a problem, fresh after migrating  to IIS 8.5 (from IIS 6), CF 11.07-ent.

Does this make any sense to the pros out there?

Here is what I would see:
In taskman, as SOON as the Max JVM Heap memory was reached (for coldfusion.exe), CF would become partially or fully unresponsive.

I understand about connector tuning, and that is not the problem here. Here are the isapi_redirect log lines:

----------------
This first line shown below is the LAST line in the log having to do with connections (as you can see, I am a long way from maxing out. Also, my server.xml file's MaxThreads and Timeout are set to 1600 and 60000 and I only use one wsconfig/x, and one application pool, for a total of 1600 connections. I was very stable with these same numbers in IIS6)

[1532:3796] [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (2244): (cfusion) current reuse count is 91 of max reuse connection 800 and total endpoint count 1600

then hits error condition

[1532:3796] [info] jk_open_socket::jk_connect.c (817): connect to 127.0.0.1:8014 failed (errno=61)
[1532:3796] [info] ajp_connect_to_endpoint::jk_ajp_common.c (1127): (cfusion) Failed opening socket to (127.0.0.1:8014) (errno=61)
[1532:3796] [error] ajp_send_request::jk_ajp_common.c (1787): (cfusion) connecting to backend failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port (errno=61)
[1532:3796] [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2903): (cfusion) sending request to tomcat failed (recoverable), because of error during request sending (attempt=2)
[1532:3796] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2924): (cfusion) connecting to tomcat failed (rc=-3, errors=178, client_errors=478).
[1532:3796] [error] HttpExtensionProc::jk_isapi_plugin.c (2763): service() failed with http error 503

(I also occasionally see the following too)
[1532:14080] [info] ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1401): (cfusion) can't receive the response header message from tomcat, tomcat (127.0.0.1:8014) has forced a connection close for socket 5684
[1532:14080] [error] ajp_get_reply::jk_ajp_common.c (2376): (cfusion) Tomcat is down or refused connection. No response has been sent to the client (yet)

Once the error condition starts, then these error lines repeat many many times (with different thread number ... ie [1532:xxxxx] where 1532 is the PID for the IIS worker process for the application pool I am in).
----------------------
CF then either hangs, or occasionally comes back on its own (maybe 20-30 minutes later) and the isapi_redirect.log resumes logging normal activity (no more errno=61).

----------------------
Then I turn OFF Integrated Pipeline mode (making it classic), reset, and the problem goes away.

I am a pure CF shop, no .NET or .ASP, just CF and static HTML on my IIS. I do not need Integrated mode. But since I have read on google that Jakarta/CF is "supposed" to play nice with Integrated Mode, I am very concerned my problem is a canary in a coal mine, ESPECIALLY since it triggers right when Max JVM is reached(!) which should have nothing to do with that since this is just committed, not used, memory, right? It does not make sense to me.

My clue summary: CF instability/hangs are triggered right when MAX JVM Heap is reached (as shown in taskman for coldfusion.exe),  AND I use Integrated Pipeline Mode instead of Classic mode. (Improper connector tuning is not implicated in this situation).

Opinions?
Thanks!
Byron_K

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Welcome Byron,

Thanks for the reminder - should always check CF update level and if matching isapi_redirect.dll is applied.

Lets say I find the details in isapi_redirect.log "secret CF tomcat business", that is not well documented anywhere. Sometimes the log content is lacking useful detail or periods of information when you know usage is occurring. Certainly web searching seems to provide lots of queues to do tomcat tuning given this or that message. What I notice - when the Java part of CF is d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Byron,

Max JVM Heap can be committed with objects. Is there available RAM so you can just increase the value for Max JVM Heap?

Perhaps enabling some Java logging or Java management extensions (JMX) along with using JDK tools like JMC or jconsole to see what the heap or non heap is doing will help to know what is wrong.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for weighing in Carl. I respect your experience.

However, WHY the problem only with Integrated? Using the built in CF server monitor (in Enterprise), I see my memory is stable, and functioning properly, and GC is taking place as expected.

Bizarre. I have JVM set to 24 Gig, and use but a very small % of it, so I don't think that is it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: by poster: I think I maybe should start a new post since I mangled the subject line(?) (end edit)

---

Update: first of all, I apologize for rushing to conclusion. I acknowledge massive face-egg syndrome, and apologize. Although the pipeline mode seems to make things more stable, it may be a red herring since we had another crash this morning (the first one using Classic pipeline mode).

Here are my CF logs. I think I have exhausted my current resources (?) and would love a nudge on how to proceed in solving this. Thanks. (I also include a screen shot of CF-ent's Server Manager memory use during time of crash. I also audited my Windows scheduler logs and event logs and I could find nothing at all that happened at the time of CF crash time (8:32 as seen below).)

-----

LOGS snips during crash:

----

ISAPI_redirect.log

. logs a new connection

[Tue Jan 12 08:32:21.033 2016] [15416:7284] [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (2244): (cfusion) current reuse count is 109 of max reuse connection 800 and total endpoint count 1600

. ERRORS START, users report slowdowns and stalls, yet some users still running OK

[Tue Jan 12 08:32:34.783 2016] [15416:14472] [info] jk_open_socket::jk_connect.c (817): connect to 127.0.0.1:8014 failed (errno=61)

[Tue Jan 12 08:32:34.786 2016] [15416:14472] [info] ajp_connect_to_endpoint::jk_ajp_common.c (1127): (cfusion) Failed opening socket to (127.0.0.1:8014) (errno=61)

[Tue Jan 12 08:32:34.788 2016] [15416:14472] [error] ajp_send_request::jk_ajp_common.c (1787): (cfusion) connecting to backend failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port (errno=61)

[Tue Jan 12 08:32:34.792 2016] [15416:14472] [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2903): (cfusion) sending request to tomcat failed (recoverable), because of error during request sending (attempt=1)

. REPEATS 410 times, except the "14472" changes, although blocks of the same thread ID do repeat during this error state. For instance, besides the one "block" for 14472 shown above, there are 14 blocks for 14472 just like above, before the system corrects itself below.

. Scheduled tasks : some "misfire" during this period but some run. The event below is scheduled to run every 2 minutes and it failed the first time and one other time during the "down time" but it also ran 10 times during the down time with no errors .

Jan 12, 2016 08:32:50 AM Information [DefaultQuartzScheduler_QuartzSchedulerThread] - Task default.CF - IIS running, cks SQL, writes to X: misfired.

Jan 12, 2016 08:34:28 AM Information [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-5] - Task default.CF - IIS running, cks SQL, writes to X: triggered.

. There is also LOTS of valid activity in the coldfusion-out.log during this 'crashed' period, so some connections continue to work (maybe the ones that were already open?), such as:

Jan 12, 2016 08:35:05 AM Information [ajp-bio-8014-exec-627] - Starting HTTP request {URL='http://www.redacted.com/fam', method='GET'}

Jan 12, 2016 08:35:05 AM Information [ajp-bio-8014-exec-795] - Starting HTTP request {URL='http://redacted.com/f?l=5DowW1EneRtU&i=111.222.111.222', method='get'}

Jan 12, 2016 08:35:05 AM Information [ajp-bio-8014-exec-795] - HTTP request completed  {Status Code=200 ,Time taken=73 ms}

Jan 12, 2016 08:35:06 AM Information [ajp-bio-8014-exec-627] - HTTP request completed  {Status Code=200 ,Time taken=871 ms}

. BACK to the isapi_redirect.log showing last batch of errors, then seems to corrects itself by finally establishing a new connection (15 minutes later). At that point, CF seems happy again and the errno=61's stop. Dodged a bullet since it doesn't always recover and I must reset to fix

[Tue Jan 12 08:44:33.149 2016] [15416:15608] [info] jk_open_socket::jk_connect.c (817): connect to 127.0.0.1:8014 failed (errno=61)

[Tue Jan 12 08:44:33.167 2016] [15416:15608] [info] ajp_connect_to_endpoint::jk_ajp_common.c (1127): (cfusion) Failed opening socket to (127.0.0.1:8014) (errno=61)

[Tue Jan 12 08:44:33.181 2016] [15416:15608] [error] ajp_send_request::jk_ajp_common.c (1787): (cfusion) connecting to backend failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port (errno=61)

[Tue Jan 12 08:44:33.192 2016] [15416:15608] [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2903): (cfusion) sending request to tomcat failed (recoverable), because of error during request sending (attempt=2)

[Tue Jan 12 08:44:33.208 2016] [15416:15608] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2924): (cfusion) connecting to tomcat failed (rc=-3, errors=135, client_errors=166).

[Tue Jan 12 08:44:33.225 2016] [15416:15608] [error] HttpExtensionProc::jk_isapi_plugin.c (2763): service() failed with http error 503

Tue Jan 12 08:44:38.821 2016] [15416:14472] [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (2244): (cfusion) current reuse count is 110 of max reuse connection 800 and total endpoint count 1600

(end log snips NO MORE errno=61, CF returned to 'normal' this time. Other times, it will continue with errno=61 until I reset. *EDIT: When it doesn't recover, users start getting the Jakarta/isapi's 'Service Unavailable' white screen until I reset)

----------------------------------

Screen shot of CF-ent's Server Manager for this time period (seems to show proper operations and certainly no memory issues that I can see)

cf-2.png

Thank you for any considerations on this, I am a bit frustrated since our IIS6 CF11-ent installation ran stable : NEVER this error. Thus I am a bit rusty at trouble-shooting CF issues like this.

Byron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Byron,

If you think the subject does not match well for your new findings then I do not see any reason not to post a new subject.

I tend to find when these following log messages occur the tomcat end of CF or Java is broken EG:

sending request to tomcat failed (recoverable), because of error during request sending (attempt=2)

(cfusion) connecting to tomcat failed

Perhaps the syntax of AJP section of server.xml will be good to know.

Your CF Monitor memory chart looks ok. Keep in mind that chart shows you Heap usage which is made up of New / Young and Old / Tenure generations. Java could still be suffering for a problem with non heap Metaspace or less likely tho still present Code Cache and Compressed Class (for Java 8 240Mb and 1Gb default respectively). You would need to enable some other logging to check on non heap usage. Sometimes if Metaspace has filled detail is recorded in coldfusion-out.log.

HTH again, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Carl,

I think I made some headway, but I want to wait to report fully so I am not jumping any conclusions again (has to do with configurations of my IIS6 app pool recycling vs. the IIS8.5 setup, but perhaps a bit of a Band-Aid fix. I'll post fully the results).

You asked for my server.xml's ajp section, I will also provide my workers.properties ... all below.

Thanks for the GC tip. I plan now to look at a more serious monitoring tool.

Question: are there known conditions that can cause these {errno=61, attempt=2, connecting to tomcat failed} conditions OTHER THAN connector mis-tuning?? My impression (and so much on google) is that it is all about proper connector tuning, and if you have that, then you would not see these errno=61's at all. But perhaps I am naïve and perhaps, for example that when you say "Java could still be suffering for a problem with non heap Metaspace", that you also mean(?) that that would cause these errors {errno=61, attempt=2, connecting to tomcat failed} to get logged in the isapi_redirect.log(?)

Question: during the times of stalls when I see these {errno=61, attempt=2, connecting to tomcat failed} errors and I am not out of connectors, IF I can successfully telnet to port 8014, does that help narrow down the component(s)  that are at fault?

Much appreciation!

Byron

===============

supporting info:

workers.properties

-------

worker.list=cfusion

worker.cfusion.type=ajp13

worker.cfusion.host=localhost

worker.cfusion.port=8014

worker.cfusion.max_reuse_connections=800

worker.cfusion.connection_pool_size=1600

worker.cfusion.connection_pool_timeout=60

server.xml (the port 8009 typo in description is how it came from Adobe)

---------

<!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->

<!-- begin connector -->

<Connector port="8014" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8447" tomcatAuthentication="false" maxThreads="1600" connectionTimeout="60000" />

<!-- end connector -->

---------

Also, I subscribe to Pete's HackMyCf and his report says I am current on everything, including this:
CF11/Tomcat IIS AMD64 isapi_redirect.dll   2015-09-10   (and then the MD5) and it says "Up to date".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome Byron,

Thanks for the reminder - should always check CF update level and if matching isapi_redirect.dll is applied.

Lets say I find the details in isapi_redirect.log "secret CF tomcat business", that is not well documented anywhere. Sometimes the log content is lacking useful detail or periods of information when you know usage is occurring. Certainly web searching seems to provide lots of queues to do tomcat tuning given this or that message. What I notice - when the Java part of CF is down or in the process of having a problem

the ISAPI log is most verbose.

If you are going to look at the CF Java memory use and GC matters you can do well to enable JMX with JMC (JDK tool Java mission control, suggest version 5.4 and above in JDK 1.8u45 or greater). Why so? It is free ($) and you can get to see not only heap, non heap but what tomcat is doing as well.

JMC EG:

Capture.PNG

Regards, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS

Sure why not telnet to see if CF tomcat is responding. Here is telnet 8014 with some characters sent a couple times monitored in JMC

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carl, stable now for 2 days (I will post a summary after a few more days, having to do with app pool recycling).

Your comment about the isapi_redirect.log file growing made me smile. Since the problem started, I have on tiny window always open, showing me just the size of that file, so I can tell at a glance if it grows! It has been my first round of defense of late.

Monitoring systems being investigated aggressively, with all your ideas taken into account. My goal is to figure out (if possible) any other causes (memory issues?) that could trigger these CF connecting to Tomcat failures and start being a better planner. Sometimes a sys admin needs a place to talk and your rising to the occasion speaks a lot about you. Thanks again.

Byron

ps: I decided to not change the subject line of this thread until after I setup load testing against a test instance to try to prove one way or another if app pool = integrated (vs classic) is triggering the issue once CF hits its assigned HeapMax (as seen in taskman, not CF ServerMan) ... that is what started this thread and I feel compelled to investigate this further, and post back here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rather than leave this thread hanging, here is my wrap-up, 4 weeks later.

Does Integrated pipeline "break" ColdFusion? Seems that it shouldn't based on the research I have done (but there is a dearth of info on this via search engines, so that research was very limited).  I don't use integrated pipeline mode anymore because it seemed to me to not "play nice" with my IIS CF install. (Plus since I use zero ASP or .net, and have even removed those mappings in IIS, then I see no reason to use "integrated mode" anyway). The symptoms were that once CF took up the java max heap AS SHOWN in taskman, then at that exact moment, I would start getting errno=61 in my isapi_redirect.logs and CF would then start failing.

However, and again to be fair to anyone here by way of a search engine hit, I am not the pro on this. I can only sum it as: If YOU have the same symptoms I had, then your application pool mode might be an idea to explore.

More caveats:

1. we bought a commercial CF monitoring tool (most of you know which one that would be) and I have learned it and used it. Many bottlenecks, slow queries, and general tuning has been performed on our CF instance by the programmer. Perhaps I was running into something else (rather than the app pool mode) but there is still that nagging initial pattern  that bothers me (taskman shows max heap memory being used for CF, and then errno=61 start showing in isapi_redirect.logs, and soon after, CF crashes hard). It also bothers me that there seems to  be no available documentation for these tomcat/Jakarta connector errno=61. When they start piling up (and they have NOT ONCE since I turned off integrated mode), it would be nice to "know more". BUT NOW with our commercial CF monitoring system, I feel that IF the errno=61's come back again, I may have a way to ascertain more clues.

2. I discovered that in my old IIS6 install, that I had setup "recycle application pool" for twice a day. My new IIS 8.5 install was not set to recycle the app pool. So I turned that on too, for twice a day. But again, no proof that this was needed to fix the errno=61's.

(end caveats)

If I find out anything else, I will continue to post here. Thanks Carl for weighing in on this earlier when I was full of angst and under pressure to FIX IT. Your advice was vastly appreciated.

Byron

ps: I marked one of Carl's replies as "correct" because it is great advice in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation