7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 8:29 PM by MikeGondek

Remove logo on moving truck of go pro aerial footage

MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have about 9 go pro flyby videos 10 seconds each they want the 2 lines of type removed underneath North American on the truck.

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 6.28.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 6.28.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 6.29.33 AM.png

Well I thought this project would not be too hard but is just too difficult because of

• both go pro & truck are moving
      • at beginning and end of video the truck goes offscreen & corner pins has nothing to track the shape of truck, and manually cannot take the corner pin off screen
      • the barrel distortion form go pro makes for a corner pin the would  need envelope distortion
      • on the closeup (see screenshot 3) the rivets and hinges needs precise retouching

and tried

1. doing a 2D corner pin distortion
      2. a 3D camera motion track matte - could be most promising but most difficult to control and not getting good track on all frames
      3. using the after effects clone stamp tool - distortions are quite extreme as truck goes on and off screen might as well do frame by ram in photoshop

Sure I could do this clone stamping each frame, but the budget would be too high, and they need this by friday. But then again I do not video edit every day for a living, but work in print & web for last 30 years, and get only a few business video logo animation jobs each year. for last 15.

Hate to turn down my first rotoscope or track and clone /replace (sorry if not using correct terminology) job, but their deadline is Friday and i work full-time/ovetime.

• 1. Re: Remove logo on moving truck of go pro aerial footage
          Stef78

It's an idea to use the Optics Compensation plugin to correct the image.

Then I would definitely track this in Mocha. Are you experienced in this?

• 2. Re: Remove logo on moving truck of go pro aerial footage
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For a lot of visual effects work the best option is to stabilize the area your going to work on so that it doesn't move, then do your matte, paint and CGI element work, then re-introduce the motion to the frame. It's also much easier to to this kind of effects work if you remove the lens distortion from the shot. I just happen to be working on a tutorial that perfectly fits your situation.

The first thing I would do with this project is use the Go Pro app to import the footage and remove the distortion and convert it to the 10 bit Go Pro Cuneiform  format or even better, convert it to a 32 bit image sequence.

Then I would import the footage into After Effects, open it in the footage panel and set in and out points for the footage and create a new comp from the trimmed footage.

I would then track in mocha using multiple splines to track the corners of the truck trailer until you get a really good track. use as many splines as you need to get an accurate surface track. Make sure you increase the number of pixels tracked and check all of the boxes for distortion and perspective because there's a huge perspective change in your truck shot.

track.png

Check with one of the overlays. I like the checkerboard. Make sure the surface precisely lines up with the side of the truck. I like to include a bit of extra room. Then copy AE corner pin data only. It's the second option.

test track.png

Here comes the trick. Back in AE, duplicate your footage layer then pre-compose the top copy and open the pre-comp. Rename the pre-comp "clean plate" or something like that. Follow these steps:

1. Paste the corner pin data to the footage (It's going to look wrong)
              cornerPin.png
            2. Now turn off Corner Pin in the Effects Control Panel and turn off Effects in the timeline to straighten out the footage
            3. Add CC Power Pin to the footage layer
            4. Add an expression to each of the four corners of CC power pin using the pickwhip that ties the corresponding corners to each other
            5. IMPORTANT - check the box that says "Unstretch"
              cornerPin.png
            6. Turn the effects back on in the timeline
            7. You should see a perfectly squared up though distorted side panel of the truck in the "clean plate" comp
              Stabilized.png
            8. Return to the main comp and select the "clean plate" pre-comp layer
            9. Paste the corner pin tracking data to the "clean plate" pre comp and the side of the truck should snap into place
            10. Return to the "clean Plate" comp and clean up the side of the truck using the most efficient technique you can find. This is much easier because the side of the truck will be locked in the frame. Here I have added a logo, animated the reflection, time shifted a masked area under the logo to line up the rivet lines and a few other tricks.
              Composite.png
            11. Turn off the bottom layer in the "clean Plate comp" so you see just fix
              Clean Plate.png
            12. Return to the main comp and your composite is complete.
              Final.png

It is possible to do this without removing the lens distortion but it's a lot more difficult because Mocha assumes there is no lens distortion when calculating perspective changes.

This should get you started. There are all kinds of techniques you can use to copy the texture in the truck, add reflections and automatically transfer shadows to your overlays that don't require tedious roto work. I explain quite a few of these techniques in my upcoming tutorial. That's where all the screenshots came from.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Remove logo on moving truck of go pro aerial footage

Sorry no Mocha experience or optics compensation, but thank you will look into this.

• 4. Re: Remove logo on moving truck of go pro aerial footage

Mocha is the only reasonable solution for your project included in AE. Mocha is not hard to learn.

• 5. Re: Remove logo on moving truck of go pro aerial footage

Hi Rick I remember you from the Creative Cow forums, thanks for all your years of dedication to this industry. Your reply has much useful feedback and will give this a try again tonight after work.

Will go with keeping the distortion since do not have the go pro software and have short deadline. Remember AE having envelope/warp distortion similar to AI & PS somewhere so may animate that if possible to get help on barrel distortion.

Was getting close with this, but then found I could not move the corner pin off the canvas during frames, believe I was using the paint palette option for motion track with perspective, and you mention corner pin so excited about trying that.

Sorry of all the obvious holes in my AE experience, I passed the ACP 10 years ago and much has changed, but only get to use AE a few times a year unfortunately. Mocha sounds the way to go so will definitely go that direction.

• 6. Re: Remove logo on moving truck of go pro aerial footage

The go Pro software is free and available on their website.

• 7. Re: Remove logo on moving truck of go pro aerial footage

In GoPro am not getting the remove fisheye option. Maybe because the footage is not original filename or ovnerted that they sent me, or needs to eb attached to go pro camera.

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 10.24.12 PM.png

Hinges & rivets should not be a problem as will retouch whole side of the truck and distort that.