3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 6:47 AM by Rick Gerard

Something that is 0% opacity suddenly re-appears

owenh62488808

After making a text element 0% opacity it suddenly re appears later on in the animation, how do I keep it transparent?

• 1. Re: Something that is 0% opacity suddenly re-appears
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select your text layer.

Press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties.

Look for keyframes in the timeline.

Press the j and k key to snap the CTI to the next and previous keyframes

Delete the offending keyframe.

If the layer re-appears then purge your memory and cache using Edit>Purge>All memory and cache

It is a good practice to set an out point for a layer when it is no longer needed. The standard workflow for fading in a layer then fading it out is to:

1. move the CTI (current time indicator) to the start of the fade in, press Ctrl/Cmnd +t to set a keyframe for opacity
          2. Adjust the Opacity value to 0%
          3. Press Alt/Option + [ to set the out point
          4. Move the CTI to the spot where you want the layer to be fully opaque (visible) and adjust the opacity to 100%
          5. Move the CTI to the point where you want to start the fade out of the layer and press Ctrl/Cmnd + t to set another keyframe with a value of 100%
          6. Move the CTI to the end of the fade and set the value of the opacity to 0%
          7. Press Alt/Option + ] to set the out point for the layer

Generally you want to set in and out points for all of the layers in your comp. This makes the project easier to edit and speeds up rendering.

• 2. Re: Something that is 0% opacity suddenly re-appears
            owenh62488808 Level 1

Thank you for your reply, there seems to be no offending key frame so I tried to purge the cache but I dont have the option that you stated I have 'All Memory and Desk Cache', 'All Memory', 'Undo' or 'image Cache Memory'.

Will this delete any work? I clicked 'All Memory and Disk Cache' it asked if im sure I want to delete 16gb worth of files?

• 3. Re: Something that is 0% opacity suddenly re-appears
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Purge everything. It won't do a thing to your project but force you to run another ram preview. AE tends to hold on to random frames so purging at east the image cache is a good first step when you troubleshoot unexpected things happening in the frame.