2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 8:40 AM by Joe_Walker

Wasting My Time?

Joe_Walker Level 1

I'm just now allocating some of my After Effects / Cinema 4D mograph time to learning some animation chops for the web. Am I wasting my time learning Edge Animate since it's discontinued, or will it's features be rolled into Adobe Animate CC?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Wasting My Time?
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

EA development being discontinued does not prevent you from using it. I am still using it in production every day and it probably will be fine for a long time unless a browser update brakes it which is possible but not extremely likely.

Flash/Animate 2016 includes HTML5 Canvas. It is possible that it will include EA features along the road but we really do not know at this time.

I personally think that EA is the best product at this time to do css/javascript products because of an excellent UI and relatively easy coding. There are other very good products like Greensock but this is all coding and no UI per-se to develop. Of course Greensock can be included in EA. I have some tutorials about that on Edgehero ( Edgehero | Edge Animate CC Community | Home )  or my site ( MJ Page Design ).

I guess if you are doing something that is not totally critical, then go ahead and use EA.

• 2. Re: Wasting My Time?
            Joe_Walker Level 1

Thanks.

The cell based timeline in Flash has always made me cringe, so it's nice to work more fluidly in EA. I hope we see some of this in the evolution of Animate.

Thanks again for the input.