0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 7:33 AM by RcD

Files and Folders in User Profiles

RcD

Hello,

We are using Fireworks CS6 in a school environment, where the user's local profile is being redirected to a network location.

So instead of storing the data in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Fireworks CS6\", it is instead stored in "\\<servername>\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Fireworks CS6\"

This is working, except for the excessive amounts of disk space that are being used.  Each student takes approx 100mb of disk space for the Common Library folder and the Templates folder.

With thousands of students this becomes a major issue with storage wasted on the servers.  The students hardly change their Templates and examining a handful of them shows the files are the exact same in their common library and template folders.

Our options here are limited.  We can redirect the folder back to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\, but then when students log in to these machines they will use 100mb of disk space on the machine.  This quickly becomes an issue as students are free to roam to any computer that is available.  Within a few weeks, hundreds of students will have logged in, and that computer will have gigabytes of duplicate files which appear completely unnecessary.

So-

Is it possible, to redirect the Templates and Common Library folders on a local PC to point towards either a central store on a network share, which all clients can share, or a central store on the computer (which will be common for all users who log into that PC)?

Is there a registry setting we can use? 

If it is a possibility, are there any considerations for when one student does want to create a new template/overwrite an existing one...

Ideally, I would like all the Common Library and Templates folders to be stored on a network share, and if one user makes a new template/file, then only this single template/file should be stored in the user's profile.  I appreciate this is wishful thinking, but if anybody can come up with something close, I would be really happy.

I can imagine this must happen in other schools, colleges and businesses and we surely can't be the first person to ask this, but I am unable to find anything on Google or these forums when searching (all I can find is "how to reset your profile").

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

RcD.