5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 8:54 AM by Rick Gerard

re-sizing compositions

DaisyS_85

I'm new to AE!

I have a project with quite a few compositions (which in hind sight I should have split in to 2/3 projects!)

They started off as Photoshop files with layers but I made them TOO BIG, they should have been 1920x1080 (?)

I imported the psd's into AE and worked on them all as compositions.

So, at this stage can I make them all smaller? Whilst keeping everything I've worked on and have the layers all down-sized to match the canvas.....?

• 1. Re: re-sizing compositions
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Look under the file menu for scripts. There is a comp resize or script that should work just fine. Resize it to the width you want and then change the comp settings to get the height correct.

• 2. Re: re-sizing compositions
            DaisyS_85 Level 1

Thanks, this seems to have worked!

I just amended the Width, it all looks ok, do I need to change the height as well? Is there a specific way to do this?

Also, will this rescale (smaller) have automatically made the file smaller and smaller once rendered?

• 3. Re: re-sizing compositions

Your comps hold be a standard size. If you reside to 1920 and the width turned out to be 1080 then you are good. If the height ending up 1460 or something like that then you should open the comp settings and change the height to 1080. This will crop some of the images but you will end up with a standard sized video frame.

• 4. Re: re-sizing compositions
                DaisyS_85 Level 1

After rescaling width to 1920 they are all now 1357 High. I tried to change the height in comp settings but it's made the animation go off the screen.

• 5. Re: re-sizing compositions

If the comp you just open the comp settings and change the height to 1080 everything should work just fine because the default is to resize from the middle of the comp.

If this does not work then create a new standard HD comp using one of the presets and just nest your resized comp in the new comp. You cannot render an mp4 that is 1357 pixels high. First, it's an odd number which will not work for MPEG compression, and second it is not one of the supported frame sizes.