9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 7:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?

Aldusweaver

System:

Win7Pro64 - fresh install, fully updated

Premiere Elements 13 - updated

24GB RAM

256GB SSD + 4GB WD Black HDD - both over 70% free space

Only other programs installed are Firefox, Photoshop Elements, Java 32 + 64, 7zip, Flash, Acrobat Reader, Lightscribe Sony Software, Avira Antivirus

DVDs are DVD+R Made in Taiwan generic Ritek Lightscribe (have not used Lightscribe on them yet)

Working with a 1.5 hour long MTS file (~20GB) with about 50-100 audio level adjustments (can't get normalize to work well so did it manually) plus some intro text/images and ending credits.  Has about six picture-in-picture inserts.  Otherwise fairly simple.

Used about 10 Scene Markers and one Main Menu Marker for a clip at the end.

Used Markers in Motion (~5 seconds) for the Scene Selections in the menu.

Used the Christmas Lights menu template.  Changed the font, size, and location of all text in the main menu and the scene selection menus (three of them for the ten scenes 4 + 4 + 2).  Shifted the scene selection thumbnails down on each menu page to look better.  No elements overlap (no red boxes).

DVD Preview works perfectly.

Used "Fit to DVD" default setting, but Premiere crashed before DVD finished burning.  Tried burning to an ISO instead, took an hour but worked.  Burned ISO to a DVD and was successful except the Menu system is borked.  The little marker that shows which option you are currently on is often on two of the three Main Menu items as you move it around so you have no idea which one it really is on.  When going to Scene Selection menus, first one is okay, but if arrow to the third selection page (the one with the last two scenes), will instead show the second scene page (but if you select a scene from that page, you'll get the scene that should be there on the third page.)  Once arrowing off the first page, cannot go back, will show only second page from then on until going back to Main Menu.

Tried DVD in DVD Player, PS3, and Windows Media Player.

Is this a known problem?  Any advice?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

aldusweaver

Two major questions before we dig into the rest.

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit

1. What is the video card/graphics card that your computer uses? And, do you work with the following preference enabled or disabled

"Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher)"? See Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

2. With your DVD-R disc in the burner tray and just before you hit the burn button of the burn dialog, what are the readings for Space Required and Bitrate when you have a check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space?

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?
            Aldusweaver Level 1
            1. What is the video card/graphics card that your computer uses? And, do you work with the following preference enabled or disabled

"Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher)"? See Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Whoops, forgot that.  ATI Radeon 7870, latest Catalyst drivers.  (Just to put the info out there...ATI is linking the 7800 series to the Crimson drivers, but they are causing conflicts, one of which is with Premiere.  ATI Techs are advising to use the Catalyst instead.  Also, they are admitting their uninstall process is faulty and recommending you use DDU instead when removing Crimson.)

"Use Hardware Accel..." is checked/enabled.

2. With your DVD-R disc in the burner tray and just before you hit the burn button of the burn dialog, what are the readings for Space Required and Bitrate when you have a check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space?

It is a DVD+R (not sure if that matters), but the readings are:

Space Required = 4.37GB (Bitrate 5.62Mbps)

Thanks for taking a look!  I am totally fine with saving to an ISO and then burning the ISO to a DVD (especially since I need to burn 20 copies).  I just need that menu system to work properly.  Since it is a template automatic thing, I don't see any way to try to fix it...

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Aldusweaver

Thanks for the reply with important troubleshooting information.

You definitely need to resolve the video card/graphics card situation because of its importance to Premiere Elements performance. That does not seem to be an immediate happening.

Important. What should be able to get a more immediate "works" or "does not work" is by removing the check mark next to the preference "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher)" and doing the burn to.

You have far too much on that DVD-R disc. It is spec'd for 4.7 GB/120 minutes. In reality, that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB. You can see from those burn dialog reading for Space Required and Bitrate that the project has had to lower automatically the bitrate from max 8.00 Mbps down to 5.62 Mbps to reduce the file size to get the fit on the DVD disc. Lower bitrate, lower quality, but lower file size. You could determine if you get better outcome if you used a DVD double layer single sided disc spec's for 8.5 GB/240 minutes. Have you tried another brand/type of DVD disc?

Please remind me...what are you doing for the burn to ISO Image 4.7 GB to get the DVD-VIDEO.iso file? Just be careful. There is a serious flaw in 13/13.1 when you create the AVCHD .iso or Blu-ray .iso that has a file size over 1 GB. You should be alright with the DVD-VIDEO iso.

Please consider, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?
                Aldusweaver Level 1

Thank you again, ATR.

Video card situation -- It is all resolved.  I had the problem with the installation two weeks ago; I was just posting the solution in case anyone else searches the forums with the same problem.

Too much on the DVD+R -- I have too much video?  My whole video is only 1hr40min long, so 100 minutes.  The picture-in-picture overlays are very short and total about 3 minutes.  Other than that it is just the Christmas Lights DVD Menu...how come it has to reduce the bitrate so much?

I haven't tried another brand/type of DVD for recording...wouldn't be able to get more discs for at least a week because of shipping.

To get the ISO image, I am just selecting the "Burn to:  ISO Image (4.7GB)" option.  It creates the ISO just fine (takes about two hours).  And then I burn that ISO to a DVD with the native Win7 ISO burner.  The DVD burns fine that way and plays well, just the menu system is all messed up, particularly the scene selection screens.

(Also, could you elaborate on the problem with burning to a Blu-Ray in 13/13.1?  I need to burn some blu-rays for another project in a couple weeks.)

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Aldusweaver

Thanks for the update.

Your Space Require and Bitrate readings tell the story about too much on that one DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes. Even with the lowered bitrate, is the video quality acceptable to you?

That is the important factor.

Your 10 scene markers do not seem excessive. And with with Blinking Lights theme (4 scenes per page), that should give you 3 scene selection pages.

However, that is a menu with a main menu video background. Not sure just how much demand that makes on the situation.

For troubleshooting purposes

1. We could toss out the too much consideration by ...maybe making a copy of the project. Using the copy, removing the 2nd half of the project. Leaving the menu as is. Heading for burn to iso image. Any impact on the menu issues?

2. Have you looked at the problem with and without the menus? Also, with the menu without any user customization (even to the extent of leaving the defaults). Just apply the menu and move to burn to ISO Image.

Tomorrow I will do some run throughs with Blinking Lights theme.

If you do not have any different DVD discs, hold off on new discs at least until tomorrow when we will have more data on the problems.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?
                    Aldusweaver Level 1

Thank you, ATR.

I checked the reading if I selected "Burn To:  ISO (8.5GB)" and it listed the project as needing 6.2GB, so like you said, definitely over the 4.3 available.

With the lowered bitrate to fit on disc, the quality is acceptable I guess.  It looks terrible compared to the original footage (shot in 1080p HD), but so does any DVD.  It will have to be good enough for now. 

Tonight I will try your suggestions:

1.  Make a copy of the project with half deleted to test the menu issues.  (I will also look at this to see if the video quality is greatly improved since the bitrate won't need to be reduced with only half the project.)

2.  Make a copy of the whole project with just the default menu.

I'll update in the morning with the results. 

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Aldusweaver

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to your results when your schedule permits. It is after midnight here, so I will be calling it a day shortly.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?
                        Aldusweaver Level 1

Hi ATR,

Results are promising...

(Note:  I gave an incorrect number earlier...I was using 14 Scene Markers, not 10.  So three screens of four, one of two instead of two screens of four and one of two.  Not sure if that matters, but wanted to mention it.)

Burned to 4.7GB ISO image and played by mounting ISO to test:

1.  Half of show removed -- menu system problems remain the same

2.  Movie Menu completely reset to default -- menu system problems gone!

3.  Movie Menu customization added back in (a few Scene Markers, changed fonts, repositioned menu graphics) -- menu system still working fine

4.  Adding all customization back in (14 Scene Markers, Markers in Motion selected) -- menu system problems returned

5.  Reset Movie Menu to default and added back in only Scene Markers and changed fonts (no repositioned graphics and no Markers in Motion) -- menu system seems to work fine for mounted ISO, now to test a physical disk!

Burned #5 to physical DVD:

Most of previous errors were gone, but final Scene Selection screen (the one with just the final two Scenes) will not display at all.  Actually works okay using Windows Media Player, but does not work in PS3 or regular DVD player (about five years old) -- no way to get to last selection screen.

Went back to Premiere Elements and removed two Scene Markers, total is now 12, three screens of four.  Burned new disk -- everything seems to work fine now.

So the two things that were causing problems were (1) using the Markers in Motion setting and (2) having more than 12 Scene Markers.  This was with the "Blinking Lights" template, a Christmas theme included with the program.

On a side note, I burned an 8.5GB ISO image to see what the max DVD quality would look like compared to the compressed version I have to use with the 4.7GB disks -- It is a little better, but not very noticeable.  Quality of both is vastly lower than source material (1080p) -- will need to order some blank Blu-ray disks to burn in HD!

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - DVD Menu Failure?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Aldusweaver

Great update. Great summary.Thanks. Well done.

If you want we can go deeper into the 2 scenes on that last scene selection page.

Do any of your players play back AVCHD on DVD disc. You might want to give that a try before the Blu-ray work.

Although you can create an AVCHD on DVD with a regular DVD burner, it will not play back with a regular DVD player. You need a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of those multi media players that supports AVCHD DVD.

Please update us on further developments as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR