17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 9:09 AM by goob4114

Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists

iank70945642

I store all my photos on one external hard drive (which I back up sometimes).
      On that Drive, there is one bucket, with all the photos.
      But within that bucket, there are several smaller buckets.

I want to move the photos from those smaller buckets to the larger bucket.
      I understand that they are 'already there' - but I just want to have everything in one place.
      I no longer need those small buckets, as they don't really serve a purpose anymore.

I am able to drag + drop SOME of the photos to the larger bucket, but not all of them.
      After I transfer a small group of photos, I will get a popup box telling me that some of my photos could not be transferred.
      This is because a file already exists in the destination with that name.
      But that file name is actually for a different photo.

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 4.31.56 PM.png

I understand WHY Lightroom is protecting me from this problem.
      But I cannot find a way to move those images and rename them at the same time.

I've managed to move ONE photo at a time and "keep both copies" as an option.
      But then LR renames the file "IRK_1234.copy.NEF" or some such.
      I don't want that. I'd want it to rename it to something like "IRK_1234-x.NEF", where the hyphenated x is the next available number.

Is there an elegant way to do this?
      What am I missing?

I am using LR-CC, on a MacBook Pro, on OSX El Capitan 10.11.2

• 1. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi iank

Hope that helps

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
            iank70945642 Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions, Akash.

But my issue is with duplicate file names, not duplicate files.
            I would look at the file name in the warning popup, and locate that file within my main Master folder (bucket).
            It was easy to locate the file name, and confirm that it was indeed a different photo, with the same name.
            So, I don't think I am dealing with duplicates here.

I think the same-name issue stemmed from having multiple catalogs which were later merged.
            Importing files to a catalog will name the photos in the next-available name.
            But when those 2 catalogs are combined, there will be duplicates.
            Since some of those duplicates are residing in sub-folders, they can maintain that same-name.
            But when I attempt to move that photo, it's a problem.

• 3. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Use Finder to Rename one set of the files that have the same name.

• 4. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                dj_paige Level 9

Honestly, I think you are just making extra work for yourself, and winding up with a poor use of your folders.

If you want everything in one bucket, you have a maximum of 10000 images before your file names start duplicating. Furthermore, most operating systems slow down considerably when you have thousands of photos in a single folder.

If I were you, I'd leave the photos in the folders they are in now, and use keywords and other metadata to organize and search. Future imports could  go into folders by capture date.

• 5. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists

IIRC there is a way to have Nikon cameras use 5 places for the file numbers, instead if the Under Score. So that would allow 99,999 images before the numbering started to repeat.

• 6. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                    iank70945642 Level 1

Thanks for your reply, dj_paige.

Please note:
                    I have 60,000+ photos in the catalog.
                    All 60,000+ photos reside on the same drive.

Approximately 25,000 of them are within subfolders of the main Master folder.

It's these 25,000 photos that I want to MOVE from those subfolders into the root of the Master Folder.
                    Right now, they are:
                    Master -->Subfolder-->Photo.
                    I want them to be:
                    Master --> photo.

I won't be creating NEW photos or adding to the catalog in any way.
                    I simply want to MOVE the photo, and discard the unneeded subfolder.

The problem I am trying to resolve is RENAMING the photos while moving them.

I don't have any issues with speed or processing power.
                    And my plan for moving the photos won't change anything that way anyway.

I have many versions of the 'same name' files already.
                    ie: IRK_1234.NEF and IRK_1234-1.NEF and IRK_1234-2.NEF.
                    This is a common result with large libraries, and not the issue here.

I am simply trying to find an elegant way to RENAME the photos while moving them, within Lightroom.
                    LR doesn't seem to have that option.
                    And I don't relish the idea of renaming 25,000 photos, one by one, using Finder.

• 7. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                      Hal P Anderson Level 6

Actually, not. The underscore at the front indicates that the image is Adobe RGB. Changing to sRGB just moves the underscore to the interior, still leaving only 4 digits.

I have to agree with Paige: it's a far better idea to use a simple date-based folder structure and put one's effort into keywording. Putting everything in one bucket will cause lots of trouble.

Hal

• 8. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                        dj_paige Level 9

It's these 25,000 photos that I want to MOVE from those subfolders into the root of the Master Folder.

Right now, they are:

Master -->Subfolder-->Photo.

I want them to be:

Master --> photo.

I think this is a very poor choice. Your operating system does not do well with thousands of photos in one folder.

It also makes you do a lot of work of renaming, for which there appears to be no easy method.

But don't listen to me, listen to Hal who says "it's a far better idea to use a simple date-based folder structure and put one's effort into keywording. Putting everything in one bucket will cause lots of trouble"

• 9. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                          iank70945642 Level 1

Thank you to those who are providing answers to questions I didn't ask.
                          Your opinions and advice are well noted.

I'll still with Adobe's advice on this one, thanks.

How to use Lightroom catalogs

However, I am still hopeful someone will answer the question I asked, and not get sidetracked on problems I don't have.
                          My catalog is working just fine, thank you very much.

The question at hand is:
                          How can I MOVE photos from a subfolder to a root folder, if the root folder contains another (different) photo with the same file name?

When I try to move said photos, I get a warning dialog, telling me that a file already exists with that file name.
                          I don't get any options on renaming these photos.
                          I can, however, move these photos ONE at a time, and I get a naming option then.
                          But the options are not good (replace, or keep both - which marks the 'new' file as a copy, when it clearly isn't).

I have no need for those subfolders anymore.
                          The photos already exist in the Root folder, so I am not duplicating images.
                          I am not enlarging my Master folder. I am simply bumping them up the chain.

Snip20160113_2.png

The Master folder contains 60594 images.
                          The 7 folders underneath that Root (Master) folder are part of that 60594.
                          They are not Additional file quantities.

I want to move the contents of the subfolder (Old Master folder) to the Root folder (Master).
                          Some of those images move very well, because they don't have to compete with a file of the same name.
                          But some images can't be moved because the Master folder already contains a file with the same name.

The question is, again, is there a way to rename those photos during the Move process, to a new name?
                          I can do it one at a time, but not easily, and it won't name it very well.

Thanks, in advance.

• 10. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                            dj_paige Level 9

The question is, again, is there a way to rename those photos during the Move process, to a new name?

No

• 11. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                              Bob Somrak Level 5

Just rename the file in Lightroom BEFORE you try to move it!

• 12. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                                Hal P Anderson Level 6

If someone says to you, "I want to shoot myself in the foot. How do I load my gun?", do you explain how to load the gun, or do you point out that it isn't a good idea to shoot oneself in the foot?

I don't see where that web site you reference says anything about keeping all your images in one folder, and I'm sure that George Jardine in that video doesn't recommend that you do that. You are of course welcome to go through the hassle of doing that, but it will involve a lot of effort for no benefit. It's your time, waste it if you want to.

Hal

• 13. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Agreeing with Hal, I think it is a very good thing that some of the regulars in this forum will speak up and let others know that what they are trying to do is a bad idea. And you can even find cases where the person listens and abandons the bad idea and takes the advice given here! A positive result!

• 14. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists

Did you actually read the article linked to in your reply below? I ask because it never says "best practice is to place all images into one large FOLDER". It does suggest you only use ONE CATALOG whether large or small, depending on the number of images you have imported.

Also you do realize the Catalog file doesn't contain any images. It is just a Database file that References, Creates a Record, of where your images are on your hard drives, internal, external or networked.

Have fun renaming all those images when you could, for example, place them into Dated folders under the Master folder. Or just leave them where they are because LR doesn't care where the actual image files are.

iank70945642 wrote:

Your opinions and advice are well noted.

I'll still with Adobe's advice on this one, thanks.

How to use Lightroom catalogs

However, I am still hopeful someone will answer the question I asked, and not get sidetracked on problems I don't have.
                                    My catalog is working just fine, thank you very much.

The question at hand is:
                                    How can I MOVE photos from a subfolder to a root folder, if the root folder contains another (different) photo with the same file name?

When I try to move said photos, I get a warning dialog, telling me that a file already exists with that file name.
                                    I don't get any options on renaming these photos.
                                    I can, however, move these photos ONE at a time, and I get a naming option then.
                                    But the options are not good (replace, or keep both - which marks the 'new' file as a copy, when it clearly isn't).

I have no need for those subfolders anymore.
                                    The photos already exist in the Root folder, so I am not duplicating images.
                                    I am not enlarging my Master folder. I am simply bumping them up the chain.

Snip20160113_2.png

The Master folder contains 60594 images.
                                    The 7 folders underneath that Root (Master) folder are part of that 60594.
                                    They are not Additional file quantities.

I want to move the contents of the subfolder (Old Master folder) to the Root folder (Master).
                                    Some of those images move very well, because they don't have to compete with a file of the same name.
                                    But some images can't be moved because the Master folder already contains a file with the same name.

I can do it one at a time, but not easily, and it won't name it very well.

Thanks, in advance.

• 16. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                                      iank70945642 Level 1

I guess I didn't explain my question very well.
                                      Just want to do some housekeeping, that's all.

Thanks for showing me how this forum works.
                                      I'll be careful next time.

• 17. Re: Cannot move photos from one folder to another, because a file with that name already exists
                                        goob4114

I do know that if you export photos, LR allows you to rename all the photos as you wish.  You could export them to your hard drive / desktop (or Mac equivalent) temporarily (renaming in the process).  Delete the "Old Master Folder" folder and then import the pictures from your export location back into your Master folder.  I don't have LR in front of me, so I'm not sure if you can export as RAW format or if this option would force you to convert all these photos to jpgs, but I am sure you can rename them this way and re-import them to your desired location.  You might have to convert them to DNG before you export so that you can export in that raw format (if it won't let you export in Nikon's native raw format).

You can also simply rename the photos by selecting all the photos and renaming them.  You won't be able to name them like you want (adding an 'x' to the end of the file name).  Do this, and THEN move them to the master folder.  You don't have to rename them one by one, but you do if you want to rename them exactly the way you want. 

Also, moving forward, I would recommend that you use Lightroom's custom naming options when importing to avoid this problem in the future.