8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 1:37 PM by johnrellis

lightroom 5 how to save keywords to metadata

Firislander

Is it possible in Lightroom 5 to save keywords to metadata so that iPhoto can see the keywords?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: lightroom 5 how to save keywords to metadata
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Firislander,

It is possible to save the Keywords for any file, you can save the changes to the Metadata.

Click on Metadata, and then click on Save Metadata to file.

However I am not sure if iPhoto will be able to read this information from the metadata or not.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: lightroom 5 how to save keywords to metadata
            Firislander Level 1

Hi Tanuj,

Thank you for your reply. I have a jpeg file and I did as you suggested by clicking on Save Metadata to file. It said it was saved. I do not see it in the metadata in Lightroom 5. Am I missing it somewhere in there?

Also, is it possible to save keywords to metadata for a DNG file?

Thank you again.

Firislander

• 3. Re: lightroom 5 how to save keywords to metadata

The keyword will be saved in the metadata, however it will not show under the Metadata Panel.

In order to make sure that the keyword has been saved in the metadata, you may Edit the same image in Photoshop , and then check File >File Info.

You will be able to see the Keyword in the Metadata.

Yes, it is possible to save the metadata to DNG files, as the XMP file for DNG is embedded within DNG.

• 4. Re: lightroom 5 how to save keywords to metadata
                Firislander Level 1

Ok, so I can't see it in the Metadata Panel. Good to know.  I don't have photoshop. Is there anyplace else in Lightroom where I can check to see if the keywords are saved to the Metadata? Also, I have checked "Automatically write changes to XMP" in the Catalog Settings.

Thank you again, Tanuj.

Firislander

• 5. Re: lightroom 5 how to save keywords to metadata

Please select the image, and then in the Metadata Panel, where it says Preset, please click and select Edit Presets.

A new window will open and if you scroll to the bottom of the window , you should be able to see the Keyword that you have applied to the image.

• 6. Re: lightroom 5 how to save keywords to metadata
                    Firislander Level 1

I see it! Then it asks me if I want I want to 'save the changes as a new preset'. I probably don't want to do that, right? This is just a way to see if the keywords are written to the metadata? So I am clear, if I want to see the keyword in the metadata panel, I have to do as you suggest above. It will not be found just by looking in another area of the panel?

• 7. Re: lightroom 5 how to save keywords to metadata

That is right, it is only a way to check the keyword in the metadata.

If you click on " Save the changes as a new preset" then a Metadata preset will be created which you can apply at the time of importing images in Lightroom .

• 8. Re: lightroom 5 how to save keywords to metadata
                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                        I do not see it in the metadata in Lightroom 5. Am I missing it somewhere in there?

The keywords for a photo appear in the Keywording panel in the right column of the Library.  It isn't necessary to save a metadata preset, since that will show the same set of keywords that appear in the Keywording panel.

Also, I have checked "Automatically write changes to XMP" in the Catalog Settings.

Good.  That option will automatically write changes to the keywords (and any other metadata) from the catalog back to the photos (or in the case of raw files, the .xmp sidecars associated with the raw files).    You can check whether the writing has completed by looking for the status indicator in upper-right corner of a thumbnail in Library:

Untitled.png

That down-arrow indicates that LR has not written the metadata back to the photo file.  Only when the metadata has been written back is it available for access by other applications.

1 person found this helpful