1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 3:29 PM by dj_paige

Lightroom 6.3 wants to reimport existing, previously imported, images  (+ any risks with very large DBs ?)

portoFranco

I recently switched to LR 6.3 and imported a rather large  (LR 5.x DB of ~150k images).   I am now importing some ~20k photos from ~20 directories, one directory at a time into the same DB and after I select a new directory for import, if I then switch to a previously imported directory, all the photos in that directory also show a checkmark, as if they are also new images and would be presumably re-imported if I confirm the import ?    If I cancel the import, exit and  then restart lightroom and then try to import from that directory (which was incorrectly checked as if the images were new during the last session) this time the photos are _correctly_ grayed out, implying they are in the catalogue.    The problem resumes as soon as start to import new directory (new images) and then switch to a directory with old (previously imported) images in which case these would also be shown as (new) import candidates ?

The bug is not benign since there are cases that I have added new photos to directories that were once imported, and I would like lightroom to select and import only the additional (few) files in that directory, rather than the entire directory which creates duplicate entries for a large number of photos.

I have the DB  backup (and integrity check) upon exit enabled and have a string of backups but am concerned if the DB integrity check would indeed guarantee that the DB is not corrupted and all the edits are safely preserved ?   At a broader level, since I also have a backlog of another 200k+ photos awaiting to be imported,  I am wondering if it would be wise to push the limits on the size of the DB and are there examples of those who (reliably) use DB's with > 400k photos  (coming from a S/W engineering background I do wonder if LR is being sufficiently stress-tested across a wide range of DB size and whether it can realistically be expected to scale up at the pace that the cameras and storage devices are going ?)

Thanks for any insights into this.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6.3 wants to reimport existing, previously imported, images  (+ any risks with very large DBs ?)
          dj_paige Level 9

I have the DB  backup (and integrity check) upon exit enabled and have a string of backups but am concerned if the DB integrity check would indeed guarantee that the DB is not corrupted and all the edits are safely preserved ? 

I doubt the bug has anythjing to do with the integrity of your database, it most likely is a programming error.

At a broader level, since I also have a backlog of another 200k+ photos awaiting to be imported,  I am wondering if it would be wise to push the limits on the size of the DB and are there examples of those who (reliably) use DB's with > 400k photos

Yes, a number of users in this and other forums report 500k images and more.