3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 3:40 PM by truthbeshone

Is it moire? How can I fix it?

truthbeshone

So I shot on a Canon 60D with the nifty 50 and they only had LED lights to light the space for the event. I'm not worried about the color but there are moving lines running up the screen in certain places. It's not like I know moire to be from a pattern or something- it's moving lines going up the screen. I'm using CS6 Adobe Premier and After Effects on a:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Is there any way I can fix this? It's not possible to reshoot.

• 1. Re: Is it moire? How can I fix it?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you share an example of what these lines look like and how they move?

From your description, no, it's not moiré.

• 2. Re: Is it moire? How can I fix it?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If these are  lighter colored horizontal lines slowly rolling through the frame they are caused by the switching unit that converts AC power to the DC power required to run LED fixtures beating against the frame rate of your camera.  This is extremely common in theatrical LED lighting that isn't "high-end" and optimized for shooting video. I'm afraid your shots are ruined. It would take hours of handwork and fiddling to try and repair the shots. You should have noticed it when you were shooting but sometimes it is hard to see.

Professional LED fixtures have very high frequency power supplies to avoid this problem.

• 3. Re: Is it moire? How can I fix it?
              truthbeshone Level 1

Thank you guys so much. I'll try and post a sample later. Rick, it may be something where the hours of handwork will be worth it so I may need some direction on that. I know I should have noticed it but that's how we learn and grow, right? Poco a poco...