6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 5:33 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem with playing video in organizer

brimstonefox

Hi I downloaded photoshop elements and discovered that I could not play a large portion of my videos (codec issue) inside the organizer. So from the information provided in this thread: Re: How do I install mpeg2 codecs for photoshop elements? I then downloaded premiere elements and lo and behold ended up with the exact same issue.

Interestingly enough if I right click on the video and hit "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor..." it pulls up and plays fine then, but not in the organizer at all (I'm not interested in editing the videos just playing them from the organizer)

Thanks

• 1. Re: Problem with playing video in organizer
          A.T. Romano Level 7

brimstonefox

Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are standalone programs, each coming with an Elements Organizer for its version.

When the same version of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Element is installed on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer (same version).

The Elements Organizer player for each of the versions typically has its unique set of compatibility problems in spite of the install of Photoshop Elements Editor and Premiere Elements Editor. Install of latest version QuickTime 7 is a must do in this mix.

1. What version of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements? What computer operating system?

2. What are the properties of the video that you are trying to play back in the Elements Organizer player including compressions and file extension? Is it the video or the audio or both of the file that has problems in that player? Are your videos from one source or mixed sources?

Do you actually get the video imported into the Elements Organizer so that it presents with a thumbnail (gray or otherwise)? Do you right click the thumbnail (if you get one) and select Update Thumbnail? Does double clicking the thumbnail open to a message about non support or does the Elements Organizer and the program just crash?

The response depends on your details. Sometimes you can rename the file extension. You might be able to replace the recording format in your camera. Using a missing codec concept to explain the player issues is challenged by the finding that video that will not play back in the Elements Organizer X player will play back in the Elements Organizer Y all on the same computer.

Please consider and supply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problem with playing video in organizer
            brimstonefox Level 1

1. I'm on Windows 10 Home (Version 1511 OS build 10586.63) Elements Organizer 14.1 (20151206.m.83730) x64 (editor same version) Premier version 14.1 (20151208.daily.895401) trial version

2. It gives an error saying it won't play because the proper codec is not installed, nothing works (in organizer) works fine in the Premiere editor (as well as windows media player and sony playmemories) its an mpg file with the vob codec more detail is provided in the thread I linked to. There's a gray thumbnail, no crashing just an error message about codecs.

• 3. Re: Problem with playing video in organizer
              A.T. Romano Level 7

brimstonefox

Last night I started to reply and had written the following as quoted before my Internet connection failed.

Thanks for the follow up with additional information.

I am not sure how far we will get beyond "it is what it is", but to try to get at the question dealing of the video properties need to be given...at least video compression, audio compression, file extension. From what you just written, are you saying that the problem file in the Elements Organizer is MPEG2.vob with Dolby Digital Stereo. MPEG2 would be the video codec/compression, VOB would be the wrapper format fo the files compressions.

This is the rest of the story. I have Premiere Elements 10 through 14/14.1 installed on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. Last version of QuickTime, VLC Player, Windows Media Player, and Media Player Classic installed on that same computer. And, the corresponding Photoshop Elements is installed here also.

When I refer to MPEG2.VOB, I am referring the DVD video file VTS_01_1.VOB.

Elements Organizer Playback of the MPEG2.VOB file

10 - plays video and audio

11 - plays video and audio

12/12.1 - crashes the Elements Organizer on import into it

13/13.1 - video but no audio

14/14.1 - video but no audio

I suspect that the issue is not the MPEG2 compression of the file nor the VOB file extension, but rather the audio format of AC-3 Dolby Digital Stereo 2 channels.

Renaming the file extension to .mpeg or .mpg does not change the situation for 13/13.1 and 14/14.1. Since this is all going on using the same computer, it is difficult to call on a missing codec theory to explain this.

I will return in a few minutes with the results from an additional test on this which is in progress.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem with playing video in organizer
                A.T. Romano Level 7

brimstonefox

Add On to my post numbered 3...the additional studies did not get finished until just now.

This is what I did. I created two files in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows 7 64 bit

1. Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Standard. Under Advanced Button/Audio, set was for Dolby Digital Stereo.

2. Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Standard. Under Advanced Button/Audio, set was for PCM Stereo.

Both these MPEG2.mpg files were imported into Elements Organizer 14/14.1 and played back in the Elements Organizer 14/14.1 player.

The MPEG2.mpg with Dolby Digital Stereo played back video and no audio.

The MPEG2.mpg with PCM Stereo played back fully with video and audio.

The above supports my suggestion that it is the Dolby Digital Stereo in these DVD video VOB files that have the problem in the Elements Organizer versions pointed to already.

What to do? Not sure if I am ready to be looking Dolby Digital codec to import.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problem with playing video in organizer
                  brimstonefox Level 1

I appreciate your efforts. Unfortunately, adobe's support is nonexistent and I can't make it work after several hours of effort I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie here and just use Playmemories for now (My biggest issue with playmemories is the fact that it saves everything in plist format which is horrible for either putting in central location (network drive) or just copying from one computer to another since there's thousands of extra xml files sitting around and they don't necessary transfer properly..but I digress)

• 6. Re: Problem with playing video in organizer
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

brimstonefox

Thanks for the comments. I will continue to keep watch on the situation and report if I find a breakthrough in my own work or in that of others.

Best wishes

ATR