6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 1:13 PM by wobertc

Sequence of dialogs during "edit in photoshop"

ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Win7 box. Lightroom CC 2015.3

When I am editing Nikon NEF files, if I select "edit in photoshop", photoshop launches, control is passed, all my LR edits show up in PS.

If I am editing a PSD file or a JPG file and select "edit in photoshop", I first get the dialog asking to what to edit: {edit original, edit copy, edit copy with adjustments}.

When editing the NEF files, should I get the same "what to edit" dialog?

• 1. Re: Sequence of dialogs during "edit in photoshop"
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Let's hope my explanations are meaningful to you- 

1. Lightroom (a RAW editor) passes "RAW" images  (NEF, CR2, DNG, etc) directly to Photoshop (as they "Understand" each other"..)

A new "Pixel" image is not created until you "SAVE" the file you have edited in the Photoshop window. Then it will appear in the Lightroom Grid. (Do NOT use "SAVE AS")

In fact if you exit or close this image window in Ps, without saving it, no new file is created!

2. Sending a "PIXEL" file to Photoshop has the three situations-

a) you want to send the "Original" PSD, JPG, TIFF, in the same state it was saved. (eg. An imported PSD, TIFF, or an image as Saved in scenario 1.  )

b) You want to create a Pixel "copy" so as not to over-write the editing you may have done (eg. a TIFF may have Ps layers when it was saved and you want to preserve the layers for more alternative Ps editing.)

c) A "Copy with Adjustments" takes the Pixel file and embeds any further editing you may have done in the Develop module of Lr. *Note: If you edit a layered TIFF or PSD file in Lr, it destroys any layers in the file since Lr Develop module cannot handle "Layered" image files. So "Copy with Adjustments" is like starting with an image that will be ONE layer in Ps with the Lr developments showing.

• 2. Re: Sequence of dialogs during "edit in photoshop"

Yes, I understand (already) all that stuff.

So to answer my question, the lack of the dialog is on purpose because it is not needed regarding raw files.

That was going to lead to a follow-up question of how do I replicate the choice of no-edits or all-edits to be passed to PS. It turns out that the amount of edits passed to PS is governed by my current position in the edit history. The edits at the current position of the edit history are the ones passed to PS.

• 3. Re: Sequence of dialogs during "edit in photoshop"
              Hal P Anderson Level 6

Yes, although if you want to pass a NEF file to Photoshop with no edits, it's probably safer to create a Virtual Copy that you then reset that to the unedited state. I wouldn't want to leave my image with the history "temporarily" set to some state prior to the final edit. Any change to the image at that point would wipe out all the following edits.

Hal

• 4. Re: Sequence of dialogs during "edit in photoshop"

I agree with Hal- Creating a Virtual Copy is a good answer.

The VC could be made from any place in the Lr edit history, but that does not wipe the history on the original. It is the VC that has no history.

The workflow would be-

1. Open the image in Lr Develop

2. Open History and select the place in history to show the image as you want it for Photoshop

3. Ctrl+'  to make a Virtual

4. Return to the 'Original' and re-select the top line of history to restore it as it was. This avoids the "Temporary" problem that Hal mentions.

5. Now open the Virtual in Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Sequence of dialogs during "edit in photoshop"

I agree, a virtual copy would be better for consistency.

I have never wanted to send anything other than the full edits to PS. I was just trying to see how the results of the dialog could be achieved without the dialog.

• 6. Re: Sequence of dialogs during "edit in photoshop"

And: there is "Open as a Smart Object" in Photoshop!

In Ps the 'background' layer will remain infinitely adjustable by re-opening it in ACR using the 'same' tools as Lr.

It is possible to use Smart Objects to alter a Ps image by further Developing in Lightroom.  Edit the image in Lr and the image layer in Ps changes along with it!