8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 8:02 AM by A.T. Romano

Re-install failure for Premiere Elements 12

jeffh24718664

I have tried at least 12 different ways / methods for re-installing v12 on a new machine (Windows 7, 64 bit); errors always occur during installation of shared technologies. I get error message, and am told to reboot computer and try again. I have followed all tips on advanced troubleshooting page, plus got instructions from Adobe Chat / Live Support. They could not help and referred me to this forum. Please help if you can! Thanks!

• 1. Re: Re-install failure for Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jeffh

I have not seen a Shared Technologies error in a long while. It can hit any version of Premiere Elements and just about any operating system.

You came to the right place. The following is what worked for me consistently in the last several posts on Shared Technology error at program installation.

Go to

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Adobe

OOBE

Rename the OOBE Folder from OOBE to OLDOOBE.

Close out of there, and restart the computer.

Install your Premiere Elements.

Please let us know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR

• 2. Re: Re-install failure for Premiere Elements 12
            jeffh24718664 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried the steps you outlined, but had the same problem. I have tried a few other things after that still, going back to the advanced troubleshooting website. I just can't figure-out what is causing the issue. Do you have any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: Re-install failure for Premiere Elements 12
              jeffh24718664 Level 1

By the way, I also deleted all other Adobe programs for now, and will go back and try to reinstall them after I get this loaded. I don't know if that was wise to do or not. But, I only did it after having this issue for so long.

• 4. Re: Re-install failure for Premiere Elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jeffh

Thanks for the reply with your results.

Does the Premiere Elements 12 installation error message continue to be Shared Technologies? Or, has the error message changed, but the result is the same - no 12 install?

If the error remains Shared Technologies, do not give up. There are numerous home remedies out there for that. As I said, the renaming of the OOBE Folder has been the one that has consistently worked for me.

Are you installing from installation files or installation disc? If installation disc and you have more than one burner, try another burner into which to install your installation disc.

You can also explore different source for the installation files - For that please see Adobe Other Downloads Premiere Elements 12. Other downloads

After your uninstalls have you been doing a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete Adobe and non Adobe uninstalls/reinstalls?

CCleaner - Free Download - Piriform

I would not give up on the renaming of the OOBE Folder.

Please consider. As your schedule permits, we will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 5. Re: Re-install failure for Premiere Elements 12
                  jeffh24718664 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks SO MUCH for your continued support / help on this. But, still to no avail, sorry to say.

1. Same error message each time, which I have inserted below. I happens during the sequence of "Installing required Shared Technologies." So, yes, end result is the same - no 12 install.

premiere error messsage.png

2.Installing from desktop. And, I had downloaded a fresh copy (yesterday) from the website link you recommended. It was given to me previously be tech support. And, I used a different browser for the download rather than Internet Explorer.

3. I was not using cc cleaner before. But, I have since downloaded and used that. Unfortunately, the install afterwards failed in the same way.

4. Out of desperation I have erased all of the folders out of the Common / Adobe folder, except for the fonts folder. I don't know if this was a good idea or not. But, everything in the folder seemed to be related to the failed installs that I had previously done. So, I was trying to remove them.

5. At this point, I am worried that I may have some settings which are preventing the install, as I have made so many modifications from the advanced troubleshooting page (such as adjusting virtual memory, adjusting msconfig, and other things). Is that likely?

6. Do you think it would make sense for me to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10 and see if that helps? I have that available as a free upgrade now, but don't want to create other compatibility issues with any of my other programs. What do you think??

Again, all of your help is greatly appreciated!

thanks, Jeff H.

• 6. Re: Re-install failure for Premiere Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff H

Thanks for the update. Sorry to learn that 12 is still not installing.

Just in case mention...did you running the computer from a user account with administrative privileges? Is the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer. Apple is up to 7.7.9 for QuickTime 7. One of the last resort tactics is to open a new user accounts with administrative privileges and try to install Premiere Elements 12 from there.

Is taking the whole computer to its factory setting an viable option at this point?

The less drastic things to do -

a. Try to install the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 14 from Adobe. It may be a win win situation....if 14 works, then we point to 12. If 14 runs into the same Shared Technologies error, then we point to the computer.

b. Have you seen the following including renaming of cache.db?   Install rollback and Shared Technologies for Windows

c. Have you seen the following marathon thread on the problem and suggested remedies? Premiere Elements 11 "installing Shared Technologies" error during install

Based on my history with the problem, I would probably stick with OOBE Folder renaming and try try again.

My impression has been that Premiere Elements problems are essentially the same before and after upgrade to Windows 10. I would probably hold off on the Windows 10 upgrading right now.

Please check out the links above to determine if their content adds anything to getting at the solution.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Re-install failure for Premiere Elements 12
                      jeffh24718664 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I think this is my find post. Thanks again for all of your help.

I made other attempts as you suggested, including updated version of QuickTime, renaming of cache file, OOBE and other things. Still did not work.

I DID however, get the trial version of 14 to install - which is great, I suppose. So, I think for now, I am just going to pay the upgrade price and keep that one, as the time spent has already cost me (and you) way more than the cost of the upgrade.

I wish that these installs would be less complex. But, I'm sure there are lots of people working on that somewhere.

Thanks again!

Jeff

• 8. Re: Re-install failure for Premiere Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Thanks for the update. Sorry that Shared Technologies error persisted. It is a difficult one to get rid of.

Under other circumstances, trying the free 30 day tryout of 14 would give you the opportunity to look at the version longer before purchase.

However, if you purchased the 14 download from Adobe, there is an Adobe return/refund policy of within 14 days of purchase.

Best wishes in moving forward with your Premiere Elements 14/14.1 projects. Please let us know if you need supplemental information on this.

Thank you.

ATR