10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 1:44 PM by greg14

2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original

greg14 Level 1

I have the trial version of LR/PS CC6 where I am comfortable with LR.
      I transfered an image into PS, made a few adjustments, saved and closed it and the it returned to LR there were 2 Adjusted images.
      (1) with the LR + & - symbol

(2) The PS adjusted with a lighter outside border around in an a white inner border.

I unchecked the Stacks as Original and there is no original showing and obviously the 2 are adjusted images .

Question:
      Should both adjured images be showing?
      If not what did i do wrong and/or how do I remove the first adjusted image

I watched a few You Tube videos and I did not see 2 images and there were no videos to address the issue that I could immediately find.

Thanks

Greg

• 1. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Greg,

When you select an image in Lightroom and choose Edit in Photoshop, save that image and come back to Lightroom, it shows two versions as it displayed on your end.

One with Lightroom original adjustments and other with Photoshop adjustments which might be having "-Edit" in the end of the filename and would be having extension ".PSD' or .tiff'

By default, they are both stacked together. So, the behaviour on your end is completely as expected.

When you, uncheck Stack with Original, it stops showing the images side by side, but it still saved both the versions for that image.

If you will sort the images by File name or if you will search by that specific filename in your library, you will be able to see both the versions.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original
            greg14 Level 1

One of the images is not the Original.

Just to make sure BOTH images have adjustments,
            I unchecked the : Stack the Original" so that the original does not show.
            The attached shows the image on the left with the + & -- for the LR adjustments )bottom right) and the image on the right shows the image transferred back from PS with a lighter border and no + & --

I hope this is an easier explanation.

Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 8.03.19 AM.png

• 3. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original

Yes, that seems to be working correctly as designed.

Lightroom is designed to work in the same fashion as it is working on your end.

You will find the original unedited version at the actual location of the image on your hard drive.

Lightroom would show you both edited versions and not the original unedited version.

• 4. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original
                greg14 Level 1

OK!

Question:
                Do I need to keep both adjusted images showing in LR or is there a way to hide the LR adjusted image (one on the left) so that there is no confusion and the wrong image is sent to wherever.

The reason I ask is because on another image I made a LR adjustment to the PS adjusted copy and the both look the same in the thumb nail with the normal background and both have + & - on the bottom right.
                It was a minor change so that it is not obvious in the thumb nail.

• 5. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original

If you are sure you would not need the image edited only in Lightroom, then you can select the image > right click or command click on the same and choose remove (do not delete) and it would be removed from the Lightroom Catalog database.

But remember, that there would be no backup for the same if you remove it from Catalog as the original image on your hard drive would remove without any edits.

• 6. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You shouldn’t be removing your original, no, otherwise you won’t be able to redo what you did in PS from the same starting point if you decide to do something slightly different.  Does every image need a round-trip to PS or just a few?  What do you do in PS that results in two images looking the same and not being able to tell which is the original and which is the PS-edit?

As far as telling them apart, do you shoot raw or JPG and then the images from PS are TIF/PSD?  I’d probably turn on Expanded thumbnails and make sure that the file-extension is part of the information so I can easily tell which one is the camera raw and which one is the TIF/PSD from PS.

• 7. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original
                      greg14 Level 1

(1)
                      I shoot only in Raw

(2)
                      The image was transferred to PS as a Tiff.
                      (3)

Are you saying that the image on the left is an Original?
                      I thought that once you edited in LR, a copy was generated for the adjustments and the original stayed in the background on the HD.

Therefore deleted the image only would be the LR version and the original would be on my HD in pictures (Mac)

Again I ask, are the 2 images copies of the original and I only need one ?
                      When you hit the delete button a pop up appears and asks if you want to delete the master photo from disk or just remove it from LR
                      If I hit the delete button for the image adjusted in LR which is not the final version, can I remove it from LR and only have the one image (LR & PS) in LR and the original is still on the HD?

I hope I explained myself, please bare with me at 72 and having my own dark Room for years it is hard to understand the new technology.

• 8. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original
                        Hal P Anderson Level 6

Greg,

It probably is a bad idea to delete your original raw file. If you only want to see the file that came back from photoshop, you can stack the pair of them and, if necessary, move the raw file to the bottom of the stack, where it won't show.

Think of it in "darkroom" terms. The raw file is like your negative. The file that comes back from photoshop is kind of like a print. Would you throw away your negative?

Hal

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Show us another screenshot that includes the file extensions of each image on the thumbnail.

Generally you want to keep both the original raw and the TIF from PS which presumably is the final edit. As far as which one is on the left, how would I know?

• 10. Re: 2 adjusted images in LR after PS adjustments, one is not the Original
                            greg14 Level 1

Ok
                            I will try that and see how it goes,

Thanks,

Greg