11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 7:07 AM by dj_paige

Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?

MrDSR

Hi I'm new to LR and need to understand if this is standard behaviour.

My objective was simply to convert a native RAW file to DNG and have both files in the catalogue and visible in the same library.

I imported a bunch of native RAW files + JPEGs into my catalog (as separate files). I did this from inside LR.

Then I selected and Converted a RAW file to DNG (using Library, Convert to DNG, with "Delete Originals after successful conversion" DESELECTED)

Unexpectedly, the RAW file (.ORF in this case) is removed from the library Grid view. A new DNG file appears in the Library view, as anticipated.

I expected that the .ORF RAW file would remain and the new DNG would be added, i.e. that I would see both files.

BTW I have Filters Off.

In alarm I viewed the folder with Explorer (inside LR) and (to my relief) the folder contains the RAW .ORF, the JPEG plus the new DNG

Suspecting that the RAW file was removed from my catalogue - I tried to Import the RAW .ORF again.

Using Import - I can view the RAW file, but it is greyed out. And gives me the message "Appears to be a duplicate of another photo already in the catalog".

Since I DESELECTED "Delete Originals after successful conversion" I expected them to stay visible in the Library.

Seems I have done something wrong or I am misinterpreting the process. Is this normal behaviour ?

Also, how do I get the RAW file back into the Library View now that LR tells me it is already in the catalog ?

• 1. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom is operating as designed.

I do not believe there is any option to retain both the original raw and the dng in the same catalog. Maybe changing the name of one of them is an option to consider.

Explain what you are trying to achieve?

• 2. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
            Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi MrDSR,

I completely agree with DdeGannes that Lightroom is operating as it should be.

When you choose convert to DNG, Lightroom converts your original file to DNG and save that DNG format in Lightroom Catalog and retains your original NEF at the actual location.

Regards,

Chetna

• 3. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
              MrDSR Level 1

Thanks.

So I understand then that as far as the catalog is concerned my RAW .ORF file and new DNG file are treated as possible duplicates.

I was looking to develop a workflow in which my objective was to create DNGs and use them as the files on which to work.

But I also wanted to retain the RAW files, as a sort of archive, and hoped that I could view them and  keep those inside the catalog, either in the same folder or perhaps move them to a different folder.

Until now I was using PSE and the Camera Raw plug-in that allowed me to edit the RAW files and created the XMP sidecar files. So I have a few hundred RAW files already imported. But I have several thousand RAW files, from a recent holiday, which I have not yet started to work on.

I suppose that I can manually move the Raw Files to a separate folder with Explorer.

Thanks for you guidance.

• 4. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
                JTV1234 Level 1

You can have both the RAW .ORF and the DNG in the catalog.  Instead of converting to DNG, export the RAW .ORF to DNG.  In the export dialog, choose both "export to same folder as original" and "add to this catalog."  That will stack the DNG with the .ORF.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
                  MrDSR Level 1

Thanks JTV1234. That is very helpful.

• 6. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
                    dj_paige Level 9

But I also wanted to retain the RAW files, as a sort of archive, and hoped that I could view them and  keep those inside the catalog, either in the same folder or perhaps move them to a different folder.

I understand why you want the RAW as an archive (at least I think I do).

I don't see the point of having both DNG and RAW in the catalog. I don't understand why you (or anyone) would want this. It just takes up extra screen real estate, makes you work harder at organizing, and as far as I can see, provides little benefit.

• 7. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
                      MrDSR Level 1

Good feedback. I guess I'm trying to get organized & develop a workflow while still getting to grips with LR's extensive capabilities and options. Not enough experience to know what works best.

Since I already imported the RAW files without conversion I now have about 5000 in my catalog, the majority of which I have not culled, tagged or edited (hence my eagerness to get organized!).

So my plan then is to first make use of LR's excellent library tools for comparing, flagging and filtering to review then cull my RAW files. Then I will Convert the keepers to DNG and since the RAW files will then be effectively removed from the catalog I probably remove the RAW files (manually) to a set of new folders or perhaps just leave them physically in the same folder. My files are on a RAID1 NAS plus off-site back-up.

• 8. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
                        Hal P Anderson Level 6

Leaving them where they are seems best to me. You would always know that they'll be in the same folder as their corresponding DNGs, so you won't have to remember where you put them. You also won't have to remember to move them.

To get to that folder, you right-click on an image and choose 'Show in Finder' or 'Show in Explorer' (Mac/Windows).

Hal

• 9. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
                          MrDSR Level 1

Thanks Hall for that tip.

Yes I think I will leave them in the same place. In summary then LR has

given me what appears to be a good solution, by actually removing them from

the library, reducing the visible clutter but giving a quick way to

navigate to the folder where i can locate them. I will go with this & get

some experience.

But i will also take a look at the DNG export option and stacking, however

I think I would be for ever checking the file on top to make sure it was

the DNG and not the Raw.

• 10. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
                            Hal P Anderson Level 6

Yes. If you don't want to accidentally edit the .NEF, it makes total sense not to have it in Lightroom. Why spend the mental effort?

Hal

• 11. Re: Why is my RAW file removed from the library grid after Conversion to DNG?
                              dj_paige Level 9

MrDSR wrote:

Good feedback. I guess I'm trying to get organized & develop a workflow while still getting to grips with LR's extensive capabilities and options. Not enough experience to know what works best.

Since I already imported the RAW files without conversion I now have about 5000 in my catalog, the majority of which I have not culled, tagged or edited (hence my eagerness to get organized!).

So my plan then is to first make use of LR's excellent library tools for comparing, flagging and filtering to review then cull my RAW files. Then I will Convert the keepers to DNG and since the RAW files will then be effectively removed from the catalog I probably remove the RAW files (manually) to a set of new folders or perhaps just leave them physically in the same folder. My files are on a RAID1 NAS plus off-site back-up.

If you convert EVERYTHING to DNG, even the ones to be culled later, that seems to me to be the simplest approach, and the one that involves the least effort on your part, plus less chance for errors, and it can be done automatically at import.

I point out some of my own organizing philosophy in case it might be helpful to you. If a photo is so bad that I don't want to keep it, I delete it from Lightroom and from my hard disk immediately after making the decision not to keep it. Other than that, I keep ALL photos in Lightroom, that's every single one of them, 100%, no exceptions. Lightroom becomes the ONLY tool I need to manage my photos, I don't have to look in Lightroom for some photos and look in my operating system for other photos. Some day you're going to want (for example) that photo at the beach that you remember, and it's not going to be in Lightroom, you've just created extra work for yourself. Photos that are not in the category (to use your words) of "keepers" can be flagged or given a 1-star rating in Lightroom, and then filtered out of your normal view of Lightroom, if you like. (I do use other editors along with Lightroom, but I do not use another tool to manage the photos).

I also add that because Lightroom's capabilities have improved over the years, and my own ability to edit photos have improved over the years, I have photos that I originally thought were pretty poor photos, but I kept them anyway and today I can turn them into somewhat decent photographs. The only photos I discard are the ones that are exteremely under or over exposed, or so fuzzy/blurry that I consider them not salvageable and worthless.