12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 10:09 AM by dj_paige

Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License

aleshak

I'm using both Win + Mac and I wonder whether I can install standalone Lightroom (single license) on both of them.

License agreements are a bit ambiguous about this:

If you own, or are the primary user of, a single-user- or volume-license (AVL) Adobe product that is installed on a computer at work, you can also install and use the software on one secondary computer of the same platform at home or on a portable computer. However, you may not run the software simultaneously on both the primary and secondary computers.

Note: AVL customers have to buy two different licenses to use both operating systems, even if they have two different computers. They can use the same license on another computer (not simultaneously) only with the same platform at home.

My understanding is that I CAN install it on two computers of the same platform and that I CAN'T use it at the same time on more than one computer. There's no explicit statement about whether I can or can't install it on two computers of different platform. This is only said in the case of AVL customers - they can't use both platforms - but what about single user license?

Another statement from license agreements:

Adobe develops software for different platforms (such as Mac OS, Windows, Linux) and sells the software built for separate platforms as separate products.

I don't think this is true as standalone Lightroom is being sold for both Win/Mac. One box = one product, right?

Could someone from Adobe clarify that? I'd appreciate that.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
          dj_paige Level 9

This is not the Lightroom license you are quoting.

The next quote is from the Lightroom license

2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

• 2. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
            Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi aleshak,

Yes, you can install the program on two machines but cannot run it on both at the same time.

It depends if your serial key is supported by one platform (Windows or Mac) or if it supported by both (multi-platform)

You should check on the box if it says multi-platform or a single platform.

Regards,

Chetna

• 3. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
              dj_paige Level 9

You should check on the box if it says multi-platform or a single platform.

I have never seen a version of Lightroom being sold that is "single platform", and the license terms I quoted above make no distinction between Mac and Windows; in fact the words "Mac" and "Windows" do not appear in the license at all.

• 4. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
                F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR licenses are always multi-platform.

• 5. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License

I have seen single platform serial keys in the past for Lightroom however, for majority yes its multi-platform.

I believe there was some change some time ago regarding the same.

• 6. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
                    aleshak Level 1

It really seems that Lightroom license is multi-platform:

This thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1165301?tstart=0

And another statement from this page http://prodesigntools.com/how-many-computers-can-you-install-adobe-cs5-on.html

"Other Adobe products like Photoshop Elements and Lightroom are also always sold multi-platform, making it easier to mix-and-match Windows and Mac OS for your two installations."

However, there's no single word about this on the official page. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work, I'll switch platforms by activation/deactivation process if need be:

Learn to activate or deactivate Adobe applications

• 7. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
                      dj_paige Level 9

However, there's no single word about this on the official page.

Please read the actual Lightroom license, it does not mention Mac or Windows, so you are not restricted by operating system, you can install it on any two computers. That is definitive.

• 8. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
                        aleshak Level 1

I think I've figured it out.

It looks like there's no specific information about platforms in Lightroom License Agreement (Photoshop Lightroom End User License Agreement - Adobe Labs):

4.3 No Unbundling. The Software may include various applications, utilities and components, may support multiple platforms and languages and may be provided to you on multiple media or in multiple copies. Nonetheless, the Software is designed and provided to you as a single product to be used as a single product on Computers as permitted by Sections 2 and 14. You are not required to use all component parts of the Software, but you may not unbundle the component parts of the Software for use on different Computers. You may not unbundle or repackage the Software for distribution, transfer or resale. See Section 14 for specific exceptions to this Section.

... this statement at the beginning of the Agreement is probably very important:

YOU MAY HAVE ANOTHER WRITTEN AGREEMENT DIRECTLY WITH ADOBE (E.G., A VOLUME LICENSE AGREEMENT) THAT SUPPLEMENTS OR SUPERSEDES ALL OR PORTIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

Anyway, it seems to be previous EULA that is no longer valid.

If you go to Licenses and Terms of Use | Adobe and find Lightroom, you are then redirected to General Terms of Use (Legal Terms of Use | Adobe)

See the section 1.5 Additional Terms - there's a link to CS6 Terms (I guess that standalone LR is part of CS6 family):

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/legal/licenses-terms/pdf/CS6 .pdf

It's in multiple languages. Go to page 98 for the important part:

2.1.5 Dual Boot Platform. The Software is licensed for use on a specific operating system platform. Customer must purchase a separate license for use of the Software on each operating system platform. By way of example, if Customer desires to install the Software on both the Mac OS and Windows operating system platforms on a device that runs both of those platforms (i.e., a dual boot machine), then Customer must first obtain two separate licenses for the Software. This is true even if two versions of the Software, each designed for a different operating system platform, are delivered to Customer on the same media.

Only english version can be found here as well: Adobe - End User License Agreement

I also had an email conversation with some guy from Czech Support Team today and the conclusion was, that Adobe Lightroom is sold as multi-platform product only but that doesn't say anything about License Agreement. As far as I understood, it's technically possible to install and activate Lightroom on both platforms, but License Agreement allows you to have the product installed and activated on one platform at a time. You can move to other platform but you first have to uninstall and deactivate the product on the previous platform.

I was thinking about purchasing standalone LR but now I say goodbye to Adobe. The Agreement is pretty stupid and inflexible and I'm not gonna buy 2 licenses only because I edit 50 photos each month and need to use other computer from time to time.

• 9. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License

You can keep the software installed and licensed on both machines at the same time.

EULA restricts you from running the program at the same time on two machines (not from installing).

• 10. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
                            dj_paige Level 9

aleshak wrote:

I think I've figured it out.

It looks like there's no specific information about platforms in Lightroom License Agreement (Photoshop Lightroom End User License Agreement - Adobe Labs):

4.3 No Unbundling. The Software may include various applications, utilities and components, may support multiple platforms and languages and may be provided to you on multiple media or in multiple copies. Nonetheless, the Software is designed and provided to you as a single product to be used as a single product on Computers as permitted by Sections 2 and 14. You are not required to use all component parts of the Software, but you may not unbundle the component parts of the Software for use on different Computers. You may not unbundle or repackage the Software for distribution, transfer or resale. See Section 14 for specific exceptions to this Section.

... this statement at the beginning of the Agreement is probably very important:

YOU MAY HAVE ANOTHER WRITTEN AGREEMENT DIRECTLY WITH ADOBE (E.G., A VOLUME LICENSE AGREEMENT) THAT SUPPLEMENTS OR SUPERSEDES ALL OR PORTIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

Anyway, it seems to be previous EULA that is no longer valid.

If you go to Licenses and Terms of Use | Adobe and find Lightroom, you are then redirected to General Terms of Use (Legal Terms of Use | Adobe)

See the section 1.5 Additional Terms - there's a link to CS6 Terms (I guess that standalone LR is part of CS6 family):

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/legal/licenses-terms/pdf/CS6 .pdf

It's in multiple languages. Go to page 98 for the important part:

2.1.5 Dual Boot Platform. The Software is licensed for use on a specific operating system platform. Customer must purchase a separate license for use of the Software on each operating system platform. By way of example, if Customer desires to install the Software on both the Mac OS and Windows operating system platforms on a device that runs both of those platforms (i.e., a dual boot machine), then Customer must first obtain two separate licenses for the Software. This is true even if two versions of the Software, each designed for a different operating system platform, are delivered to Customer on the same media.

Only english version can be found here as well: Adobe - End User License Agreement

I also had an email conversation with some guy from Czech Support Team today and the conclusion was, that Adobe Lightroom is sold as multi-platform product only but that doesn't say anything about License Agreement. As far as I understood, it's technically possible to install and activate Lightroom on both platforms, but License Agreement allows you to have the product installed and activated on one platform at a time. You can move to other platform but you first have to uninstall and deactivate the product on the previous platform.

I was thinking about purchasing standalone LR but now I say goodbye to Adobe. The Agreement is pretty stupid and inflexible and I'm not gonna buy 2 licenses only because I edit 50 photos each month and need to use other computer from time to time.

aleshak:

You are looking at the WRONG license agreement. Your conclusions are 100% incorrect.

You have to look at the ACTUAL Lightroom license agreement, not the license for all those other products.

If you had done that, or actually read anything written in this thread, you would know that you can install Lightroom on any two computers you own, regardless of operating system or platform. You can purchase one license and install one copy on a Windows computer and install another copy on a Mac.

• 11. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
                              aleshak Level 1

You have to look at the ACTUAL Lightroom license agreement, not the license for all those other products.

I was told by Adobe Support that License Agreements on site labs.adobe.com are for beta versions only. If there isn't any product-specific EULA, then General Terms of Use are applied. According to Support, Lightroom has no specific EULA (and no additional terms). I was only provided with the following links:

The last link is what I mentioned in my first post, but it isn't EULA, just FAQ (doesn't look like summary of General Terms). So basically, as I understand it now, you can install LR on how many platforms you want to, because General EULA doesn't say anything about platforms. And I don't believe that the FAQ page would supersede EULA.

Anyway, it is really frustrating to find what you need and Support isn't much helpful as well.

• 12. Re: Standalone Lightroom on Windows and Mac with Single-User License
                                dj_paige Level 9

I agree Support isn't much help and they are completely wrong more times than you would guess, like in this case ... but I have provided the link to the actual License Agreement for Lightroom, the product-specific EULA. In fact, this document specifically states it does not apply to Beta software. Please read it.

So basically, as I understand it now, you can install LR on how many platforms you want to, because General EULA doesn't say anything about platforms.

You can install Lightroom on two computers, regardless of operating system or platform, because the Product Specific EULA doesn't restrict your use by platform.

Anyway, it is really frustrating to find what you need

I have not had this issue. Your favorite search engine will find "Lightroom License Agreement" without any pain whatsoever, it is the first item listed.