8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 3:57 AM by dj_paige

Do you know the answer to my Lightroom Crisis?!

TriggerArtist

There seem to be a series of about 200 images from an event MISSING!
      I'm trying to determine if the problem occurred during the initial import or if there was a corrupted sector of the card I'm using.

Card:Toshiba 32GB FlashAir

Lightroom v: 5.5 Camera Raw 8.5
      Used Card Recovery 6.1 (did not indicate bad sectors)

Never experienced this issue before

Created a new catalogue in LR, named the folder in explorer (thru LR), Imported photos into that folder with my normal metadata/process settings.  It's been several weeks (and shoots) since that event and when the client noticed a segment missing (oops ) I then noticed a 200 filename break in the folder in explorer.  I searched my HD, Recycle Bin, External storage (just in case?), and ran CardRecovery, which seemed to run fine, but looks like the files have been overwritten (unless someone knows an even deeper level algorithm proggy that diggs deeper??).  The files are nowhere to be seen.

Question: Is there anyway to decipher the preview data files in LR?  I'm noticing the catalog creates a huge hierarchy.  I'm trying to see if maybe flagged/rejected files ended up somewhere where it's no longer showing in this catalog.  I've toggled the flagging system, it shows 0 photos marked as rejects and again, they aren't in my recycle bin.

Any suggestions before I make "the phone call" lol *sigh*

And yes, I've learned the lesson of double checking the copy, please be courteous versus obvious, this has been an awful experience already.

• 1. Re: Do you know the answer to my Lightroom Crisis?!
          dj_paige Level 9

Step 1: Restore the photos from your backups. If you don't have backups, then

Step 2: Use this Lightroom plug-in to extract lower-resolution JPGs of your images: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Extract Cached Image Previews” Lightroom Plugin

• 2. Re: Do you know the answer to my Lightroom Crisis?!
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds to me like those images were never imported. Lightroom rarely does that but it definitely pays to double check every time. Oftentimes if that happens it was just a mistake in the import panel settings. If you can't find them on any backup and they have been overwritten on your card already, you might not be able to retrieve them. You will only have previews for these files if they are still referenced in Lightroom.  Lightroom deletes previews for files that get deleted from Lightroom. It is not an immediate deletion so sometimes previews can linger but I would not expect them to last for more than a day. You should definitely check though but if they are not referenced in Lightroom, you're probably toast. This is a really gut wrenching thing to happen and I know how it feels.

Lastly, I notice you're at an old version of Lightroom. The latest version of LR 5 is 5.7.1, which is a free update from Adobe. After the dust settles on this, you might want to update.

• 3. Re: Do you know the answer to my Lightroom Crisis?!
              TriggerArtist Level 1

Hi dj_paige, thanks for pointing me in a direction!!!!! The plugin looks to

have installed properly (at first it gave me an error, but it appeared

under Plug-ins Manager after restarting LR).  Unfortunately it thinks I'm

on a less-than-legitmate version of LR 5.5 since it was transferred from

another computer that has since been laid to rest with a heap of

flowers...may she rest in peace.

I've checked the host file and it seems to be correct, but I'll try to get

a version of the newest LR next.  In the meantime, do you know of any way

to run the plugin outside of LR or have any workarounds?  Trying to fixthe

serialissue without having the original scares the sh** outta me as the

rest of LR seems to function properly.

Can you think of any way LR wouldn't have grabbed all of the files off an

SD card? Trying to figure out exactly where I messed up :\.

Thank you so much for your quick response earlier, I appreciate it!

• 4. Re: Do you know the answer to my Lightroom Crisis?!
                dj_paige Level 9

Unfortunately it thinks I'm on a less-than-legitmate version of LR 5.5 since it was transferred from

another computer that has since been laid to rest with a heap of flowers...may she rest in peace.

What makes you say this? What do you see that indicates this? What is the EXACT complete word-for-word error message?

I take it you do not have backups, in which case I provide my standard advice/lecture. You need to begin IMMEDIATELY making regular and automated backups of your photos and of your catalog file, said backups must be stored on a different physical disk than the originals. No excuses.

• 5. Re: Do you know the answer to my Lightroom Crisis?!
                  TriggerArtist Level 1

Out of curiosity, what program do you recommend for off-site backup of the

LR catalog/originals?

The error message says "Plugins are disabled for the Lightroom serial you

are using, repeats message w/ red triangle and button reading 'Instructions

on how to re-validate plugins'"

• 6. Re: Do you know the answer to my Lightroom Crisis?!
                    dj_paige Level 9

You need to keep giving us details.

What specific plug-ins? What are the exact names of these plug-ins?

The message does not mean that Lightroom itself has the wrong serial number, it means that the plug-ins do.

• 7. Re: Do you know the answer to my Lightroom Crisis?!
                      TriggerArtist Level 1

LOL reminds me of Johnny 5's "Neeeeeed mooooore input" (if you're a fan of

the 80's film...)

Plugin: Jeffrey’s “Extract Cached Image Previews” Lightroom Plugin

Source: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/preview-extraction

plugin seems to be up to date, being from the developer source, can't run

to check otherwise

• 8. Re: Do you know the answer to my Lightroom Crisis?!
                        dj_paige Level 9

I think you'd need to contact Jeffrey Friedl to figure out what is wrong with his plug-in. He's usually pretty good about replying