1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 8:17 AM by gilbertoj97886933

Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

gilbertoj97886933

Would appreciate your help on sorting out the following issue:

I have a Mac 24" with OSX 10.11 El Capitan using iMovie for many years. Never had to worry about video settings - there is no need for it, the app self adjusts the settings.

Just started using Premiere 13 because it offers much more editing options.

My problem starts when trying to burn DVDs with films edited in Premiere using format mp4; after a while, the burner (tried iDVD and also Burner for it) aborts with a message "encoding error".

These edited files at Premiere can be open and viewed using Quicktime, however if I try to save using Quicktime it refuses displaying a message mentioning some mismatch with timing.

When importing the Premiere films into iMove and exporting it using the same mp4 format - the new files can be burned, and the interesting thing is that the resulting iMovie mp4 file is about 30% smaller than Premier's.

In short, both files have the same mp4 format, iMovie is about 30% smaller and can be burned, Premiere cannot.

Thought about video settings since I used the default one that comes with Premiere, but there are so many options and I am not an expert.

I record using SD cards with 2 devices:

* Sony HDR-CX200 NTSC 1440x1080  60i frames

* Nikon 5100 camera 1920x1080 30fps NTSC

Question: can I use one single video setting for both cameras and which is the recommended, or do I have to change settings each time ?

(Not to mention phone mp4 films that I receive and have a different size 568x320 ...)

• 1. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gilbertoj

Your Sony is 1440 x 1080 60i which represents 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

The Nikon is probably 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. Please confirm if that is 1080i (interlaced) or 1080p (progressive) footage.

Premiere Elements (any version) allows for only one project preset. When you have more than 1 format in one project, then you have to set priorities

and fit the non priority one into the mix. Is your destination in all cases, NTSC DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc.

Please let us know about the 1080i versus 1080p, and we will post very details settings for your project.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
            gilbertoj97886933 Level 1

ATR,

Nikon offers a choice of  "high quality 18Mbps" or "low quality 10Mbps"" for this size frame, and it can be set up at the camera's menu.

I have been using high quality..

There is no mention of progressive/interlaced.

From a search in the web, seems that high quality = progressive, but I will have to ask Nikon customer service to be 100% sure.

I always can make a trial afterwards, edit a film on both high and low quality and see (using QuickTime or iDVD) which will burn properly.

Please post also the settings for smartphone settings like 569x320

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

I found a Nikon article confirming that Nikon 5100 is progressive.

• 4. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is correct the Nikon 5100 only produces progressive footage.

Drop everything in an full HD avchd  (1920x) 1080i 29,97 frames setting.

The Sony will automatically be scaled up to 1920x1080. (best is when filming the next time is to set the camera to 1920x1080).

The iphone is a different matter.

Its first off all post stamp size compared to the other camera's and it has variable framerate (which needs to be converted to constant framerate with HandBrake before importing)

If you want to use this along side the other footage in the same project, you will have to accept its small or scale it up and have a blurry picture.

• 5. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

gilbertoj

Thanks for the follow up replies and important troubleshooting information. This is the 13/13.1 workflow that I would like you to explore for to get a baseline.....

Source Files -

1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 30 interlaced frames per second (scan order: Top Field First)

and

1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97/30 progressive frames per second

1. Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to its Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset to

NTSC
                  DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

Use the following steps to do that

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                  • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the one mentioned above. OK out of there.
                  • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                  • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders.

2. For the export

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with Presets = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

With the DVD disc (assumed 4.7 GB/120 minutes) in the burner tray and just before you hit Burn button, what is the reading for Space Required and the reading for Bitrate (With Fit Content to Available Space enabled)? Your end product will be no other than DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc with frame rate of 29.97 interlaced frames per second (Bottom Field First). You cannot user customize the preset, including bitrate.

See what that look like, especially with regard to the footage from the 1440 x 1080. If interlaced problems related to that, then we can look to Field Options and taking the 1440 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second to 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second before import into the project cited above.

Also, depending on the results, make two copies of the project with both formats on the Timeline. Remove one of the formats from each. Then burn each to DVD and determine how each ends up.

On the other matter

Not to mention phone mp4 films that I receive and have a different size 568x320

we can talk about the next including thoughts of creating your own project presets depending on whether or not you require a 568 x 320 workflow throughout.

ATR

• 6. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

gilbertoj

I did not see any other posts when I posted (post 5).

My suggestions were independently suggested and remain as written awaiting your reply.

And, yes, with cell phone video whether or not the video was recorded with a variable frame rate can affect the results. Premiere Elements has a problem with video with variable frame rate, ranging from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. I have long written about this and the typically remedy of taking the cell phone video into the free HandBrake program to get the H.264.mp4 version with constant frame rate to take into Premiere Elements project.

But first I wanted to work out with you the details of a successful burn to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc for your source files.

If you need explanations for paths suggested, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 7. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

Regarding your post 6 I agree it is wiser to go carefully one step after the other as you mention.

Just now occurred to me that in my projects I use other sources such as a Lumen photo camera with video capabilities, Samsung phone, etc, and  integrate those on my projects as well.

Being the set of those devices done automatically by iMovie I never gave a though on the diversity of sources I have...

But better to stick in Premiere with only the 2 sources we started (Nikon and Sony as above), and I will try to apply this knowledge to the other devices afterwards.

So, back to your post 5, and after I walked through the steps you suggested, a few questions before adding media/files:

Remark: I checked my Premiere version and I have 14 (not 13/13.1) but this probably has no influence on the work flow, right?

1. Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to its Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset to

NTSC
                      DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

Question: did it, very good explanation. Is this set good for both Sony 1400 interlaced and Nikon 1920 progressive?

Because afterwards when I burn the DVD disk (4.7GB 120min) I use edited files from both cameras.

And another question at this point: if I insert stills/photos (jpeg) between the clips at the Timeline has it any influence on this set?

Use the following steps to do that

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                      • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the one mentioned above. OK out of there.
                      • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.

Question: by renaming the project and adding the check mark, a new setup with this name will be created and become available somewhere ?

• 8. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

Ann,

Thanks for your advice.

I do use Handbrake for the conversion, I think it is a very helpful app!

• 9. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

gilbertoj

Thank you for the reply.

With Premiere Elements, there is only one project preset. When you have more than one video format, then you need to set priorities and then fit the other to fit your priority setting.

When photos are involved, I use photos sized to the frame size of the priority setting - in the example 1920 x 1080 16:9. With the example that I gave you for 13/13.1, the DSLR project preset would have the additional benefit that Timeline photos destined for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc appear sharper than if you had used another project preset. This has been confirmed by several including myself.

Also, the project preset setting directs the project as to what space to provide in the Edit area monitor which you use for editing. That space will be the display space of 1920 x 1080 for both 1920 x 1080 as well as a 1440 x 1080 project preset. So, both these formats should fit the 1920 x 1080 monitor space for editing. Your 1920 x 1080 photos should fit that space as well. Application of Pan and Zoom effect specifically with the program's Pan and Zoom Tool to any of these photos should not give black borders. And, if you decided to import your cell phone video, 569 x 320 16:9, that should be automatically scaled to fit the 1920 x 1080 16:9 space (See Default Scale to Frame Size preference in Edit Menu/Preferences/General). The question becomes how well can the project do that without pixelation. And, with cell phone video, we need to deal with variable vs constant frame rate.

Another question becomes how the interlaced video (1440 x 1080) will present related to it being interlaced video. That is why I wrote as I did regarding the possibility of the 1440 x 1080 displaying interlaced problems. See my comments on that in post 5....Field Options or conversion to 1920 x 1080p30 before import into the 1080p30 project.

Now that we know that you are using Premiere Elements 14/14.1 instead of 13/13.1, the following is how the 13/13.1 translates in the 14/14.1 project.

1. Setting of the project preset would have the same consideration.

2. For the burn to - Export & Share/Disc/DVD.

Please consider, and then let me know if you need clarification on any of the above and if you need supplemental information.

Thank you for considering the comments.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

Thanks for your answers, it is lot of valuable information!

The pictures issue is enlightening, perhaps this is the explanation for the (unknown to me) reason that sometimes pictures are sharp on the DVD, other times fuzzy.

I will work with the different options you indicated and in a few days let you know about results.

Best regards!

• 11. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

=============================

Hope this is not too much of a bothering information…

==============================

I upgraded to Premiere 14.1 and then proceeded to make experiments but focusing uniquely in a clip from the camera Nikon 1920x1080 30fps

Update: the Nikon clip (which I am using for the experiment) is interlaced, not progressive.

For sizes 420/576/720 it records progressive, for 1920 - which I use - the recording is interlaced. Perhaps from here steams the different opinions saying it is progressive or interlaced - everyone is right…:-) 

1. Setting of the project.

* Used two different project settings:

NTSC DSLR 1080p30 (there is no interlaced option for 30fps)

Hard Disk 1080i30 (since my clips are interlaced)

* Added a clip 1920x1080   16:9   29.97p and moved it to the timeline afterwards

2. Export and share/Disc/DVD

Options SD576 and SD480 have the same readings: Bitrate 6Mpbs Space Required 14MB

Without themes; the generated ISO folder has 2 files:

- "Open DVD" this is probably aimed to Windows since it has an “exec” file

- “Video_TS" I will have to use Handbrake to decode for viewing or burning it into a viewable DVD

I understand this option is valid for archiving but not for viewing.

With themes: Premiere crashes immediately. Tried a number of times.  Might be an OSX El Capitan problem, I have to access the Apple forums to confirm.

3. Export and share using Devices option

For the experiment, created two mp4 clips SD576 and SD480 and tried with both since output fps is different (25 and 30fps respectively)

* Tried to open using QuickTime - the clips open for viewing, but when saving an error message appears “ “the movie could not be saved because it contains as incorrect time value”

* Tried to burn using iDisc - the clips open for viewing, the menu of the app encodes, but when the content starts encoding an error message appears “there was an error during movie encoding”

Summary:

Results were the same for both project settings (p and i)

No way to burn DVDs using Premiere because it crashes on “themes” option

Also, cannot use the mp4 Premiere generated films for burning DVDs in any other application - unless I encode these clips a second time using iMovie.

• 12. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

Your footage is ntsc so you use a SD480 output (29,97 fps)

On a mac you cannot view the vob files which are the mpeg files within the video-ts file.

If you just want to watch your work on the mac (or standalone mediaplayer/tv) export to mp4 but try the VLC (which you probaly need to install) rather QT.

El Crapitan might be the culprit here.

If going for mp4 you can also export (share) with HD quality.

mp4 is not designed for burn on a video-dvd but rather on a data-dvd.

converting with Handbrake will give you unnecessarily quality hit.

I still suggest (see my earlier post) you use an interlaced project as the interlaced footage will be blended to progressive and on exporting to dvd will be back (and down) converted to interlaced as Elements does not have the feature to burn to progressive dvd. (And on a side note also to the wrong field, but that cannot be helped).

• 13. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Thanks for the reply with details. I am glad for the opportunity to be of assistance. So do not hesitate to ask your questions.

1. We need to clear up this matter of the scan type of the Nikon 5100 that you are using in your tests described in post 11.

From all reports online, Nikon 5100 will give you the 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second video. No mention of interlaced video produced by that camera.

Where did you get the information about the Nikon 5100 video having interlaced frame rate? Please download and install the free MediaInfo Mac and read the video's scan type from the video properties in the Tree View of that program. Just be careful in your downloading and installing choices for MediaInfo Mac since it is known to travel with unwanted baggage.

MediaInfo Mac (Mac) - Download

The above information will impact the project preset needed.

You cannot burn to folder with Premiere Elements 14/14.1. That feature is removed. Did you actually burn to ISO Image and then use technique to view a Open DVD and VIDEO_TS Folder (open in 7-Zip software or open in virtual burner)? Can you take the .iso file to DVD disc with the Mac Disk Utility or other Mac program for taking .iso image to disc?

The VLC player should play back your iso file. VIDEO_TS Folder. In Windows, VLC plays back .iso file and VIDEO_TS Folder.

Please assure that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and that you are working the programs as administrator. The System Requirements for Windows and Mac both include QuickTime 7. System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

If this really comes down to interlaced video, the scan order can be adjusted for the import using (a) Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorder project preset or using "regular" project preset and applying field option Reverse Field Dominance to Timeline clip. More on that another time.

But, for this test run on the behavior of just your Nikon 5100 footage, please consider the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

Please read original post of OP.

Camcorder is interlaced. Nikon is progressive you dont need Mediainfo to look that up.

Dont make things more confusing by adding Reverse Field Dominance to the discussion as that is for interlaced material in a reversed interlaced timeline.

A imac does not work exactly like windows does (as I have both as well as a Nikon dslr).

• 15. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann Bens

Please read the information to which I replied....where the OP is telling us that there is interlaced video for the NIKON 5100. I am just asking for confirmation. There is no confusion in asking for details and supplying as much supplemental information to explain the situation.  And, there is no foundation for suggesting otherwise. What is last posted by the OP

the Nikon clip (which I am using for the experiment) is interlaced, not progressive.

The appearance of my latest comments to Gil are/were on delayed posting due to assumed web security routine which applies to all. I am not sure when you saw them.

ATR

• 16. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

Regarding your post 13, I will download the app you mention and look at it in more detail.

Bellow answers to your questions on post 13 (thanks for that):

ATR: 1. We need to clear up this matter of the scan type of the Nikon 5100 that you are using in your tests described in post 11.

From all reports online, Nikon 5100 will give you the 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second video. No mention of interlaced video produced by that camera.

Where did you get the information about the Nikon 5100 video having interlaced frame rate?

Gilberto answer:

The latest information described in post 11 was from browsing in my camera's embedded menu - these are the options included at this particular model 5100 with the existing SW version

Reports online mention generally progressive, but sometimes also mention interlaced - probably different 5100 SW versions of the version installed in my camera.

Still on the same subject - progressive vs interlaced: in order to eliminate doubts, that is why I fully experimented with both Premiere settings - one for progressive, the other for interlaced.

Results are similar, as I mentioned in my previous post 11.

ATR: You cannot burn to folder with Premiere Elements 14/14.1.

Gilberto Answer: Right.  I did not burn to folder. Yes I saved to folder. The resulting mp4 file was not burnable (more details on the above post 11)

ATR: Did you actually burn to ISO Image and then use technique to view a Open DVD and VIDEO_TS Folder (open in 7-Zip software or open in virtual burner)? Can you take the .iso file to DVD disc with the Mac Disk Utility or other Mac program for taking .iso image to disc?

Gilberto answer: Yes, I did it and it worked. But , ATR, perhaps this is marginal to my purpose?

What I am looking is burning DVDs with a theme and multiple files (such as with iDVD) . For that, I need files mp4 or mov burnable - Premiere files are not burnable with my set ups.

Back to my original post of this thread in Jan 14:  the mp4 files from Premiere won't encode on iDVD, either using progressive or interlaced project settings.

The only way to use iDVD is by encoding mp4 Premiere generated files on iMovie.

ATR: The VLC player should play back your iso file. VIDEO_TS Folder. Please assure that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and that you are working the programs as administrator.

Gilberto: Yes for all these questions; but perhaps we are deviating from the main issue?

I am looking for burning full DVDs with theme and multiple files - a VIDEO_TS encodes only one file a time, and VLC or QT won't generate DVDs with theme and multiple files.

QT was used as a verification alternative to check if the mp4 not-encoding issue was a specific iDisc problem - not that I will use QT for burning DVDs.

• 17. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

Downloaded MediaInfo for Mac and checked the clips I am experimenting with.

Results for Nikon file (and for Sony file in parenthesis):

File format MPEG-4 (MPEG-4)

Codec information:  AVC, avc1, High@4.0 (Intermediate Codec)

Frame: 1920x1080  29.97 fps  16;9  progressive  (1416x1062  29.92 fps  16:9  no mention of progressive/enlaced)

Video stream info: VBR, bit depth 8 bits (VBR, no mention to bit depth rate)

If more information needed, please let me know.

Thanks!

• 18. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Many thanks for taking the time to confirm the requested workflow details.

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac El Capitan

Manually set project for

NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30

Then import the Nikon's 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second (believed to be AVCHD.mov)

If destination DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, then....

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

(we know that burn to ISO Image works for that Timeline content, so it is expected/assumed to work with burn to disc DVD)

The all Premiere Elements workflow end product is going to be 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Is the above currently working for you in your Mac computer environment using an external or built in DVD burner? This setup is using the burn software built into Premiere Elements.

So, now I come to a point

Here is the part which I was not clear on in your latest post details

What I am looking is burning DVDs with a theme and multiple files (such as with iDVD) . For that, I need files mp4 or mov burnable - Premiere files are not burnable with my set ups.

Back to my original post of this thread in Jan 14:  the mp4 files from Premiere won't encode on iDVD, either using progressive or interlaced project settings.

Why do you need iDVD in this?

If all that you are after in the first place is Premiere Elements .mp4 or .mov files that iDVD will burn to DVD disc as DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, then I would ask "Have you done the following?"....

a. For H.264.mov - Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTIme with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9 and under the Advanced Button/Video Tab customized the export preset to H.264.mov 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second.

b. For AVCHD.mp4 - Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

I can offer screenshots for these advanced export settings if necessary.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

Thanks for taking your time with my questions.

Please see bellow:

ATR: Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac El Capitan

Gil: I am using Premiere 14.1 & El Capitan

ATR: Manually set project for NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 then import the Nikon's 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second (believed to be AVCHD.mov)

Gil: OK, manually set project as above.

Imported the clip with file format MPEG-4 (MPEG-4),    Codec information:  AVC, avc1, High@4.0 (Intermediate Codec),  Frame: 1920x1080  29.97 fps  16;9  progressive (MediaInfo data)

ATR: If destination DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, then....

Gil: And here stops the flow because before this step I need to add the theme. And when I add Premiere theme, Premiere crashes.

So, to keep the work flow, I am forced to continue without using Premiere themes on the project.

ATR: Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

Gil: Premiere 14.1 does not have this option.

ATR: So, now I come to a point, why do you need iDVD on this?

Gil: since I cannot use Premiere+themes because it crashes, I use iDVD to add theme.

However, an additional block: Premiere-generated mp4 do not work with iDVD (the raw file does work with iDVD), iDVD displays the message "there was an error during movie encoding".

ATR: If all that you are after in the first place is Premiere Elements .mp4 or .mov files that iDVD will burn to DVD disc as DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, then I would ask "Have you done the following?"....

a. For H.264.mov - Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTIme with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9 and under the Advanced Button/Video Tab customized the export preset to H.264.mov 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second.

Gil: Yes, I did it.

Premiere 14.1 offers the option Export& Share/Devices/Computer/HD 1920x1080  MP4-H.264 29.97fps, which I used.  Results were the same - mp4 generated file did not work with iDVD, displays message "there was an error during movie encoding".

Gil: What amazes me is that both files - the raw and the Premiere-saved mp4 - are identical, but the raw works with iDVD and Premiere-generated file do not. How can I upload on this thread a screenshot of a files comparison I got using MediaInfo?

• 20. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Thank you for the important troubleshooting information.

1. How long have crashes been associated with trying to add movie menu theme? Does each theme do this or just one? What is the size of the project when you get to the Movie Menu part of the project? When does the crash happen - just selecting the theme from the display of themes under Tools Menu/Move Menu or other?

2. With your your DSLR 16:9 project preset, when you get to Export & Share/Disc/SD 480 720 x 480 - Type = Disc, the end product should automatically be NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD as direct by the 16:9 project preset. (Counterpart of 13/13.1's "NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD". You say that results in crash.

3. You report that the Premiere Elements .mp4 files do not work in iDVD. At this time with 14/14.1, what about Premiere Elements .mov file exports instead of .mp4 files. Same thing?

For posting a jpeg screenshot, please see the following

The specified item was not found.

If you been through the usual questions and answers and none of that targeted the issue

1. Latest version of QuickTime 7 installed

2. Running programs as administrator

3. No problems with antivirus or firewalls

4. Video card/graphic card driver up to date

5. Is your Mac computer optimized, including Apple Updates

then have you consider and done an uninstall/reinstall? I realize that you said that you can generate the .iso file from the Timeline content, but there are far too many crashes (for themes and other export types) not to look to uninstall/reinstall.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 21. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

Please see bellow the answer:

1. How long have crashes been associated with trying to add movie menu theme? 

100%  

Does each theme do this or just one?

Tried 3 themes, all the same.

What is the size of the project when you get to the Movie Menu part of the project?

Very small, 140MB

When does the crash happen - just selecting the theme from the display of themes under Tools Menu/Move Menu or other?

When selecting the theme.

2. With your your DSLR 16:9 project preset, when you get to Export & Share/Disc/SD 480 720 x 480 - Type = Disc, the end product should automatically be NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD as direct by the 16:9 project preset. (Counterpart of 13/13.1's "NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD". You say that results in crash.

No, it does not crash. Generates an ISO file containing 2 folders: "Open DVD" and "Video_TS".

3. You report that the Premiere Elements .mp4 files do not work in iDVD. At this time with 14/14.1, what about Premiere Elements .mov file exports instead of .mp4 files. Same thing?

Yes. I exported mov files and results were the same.

have you consider and done an uninstall/reinstall?

No. I bought it on line and download 2 copies, one for me another to my daughter. Don't know if I can download a third copy.

===================================================================================

ATR, I think we might pause for a while I address my problem to the Apple site.

After so many exhaustive checking done and we could not find the root issue, seems that the problem may very well be attributed to OSX10 El Capitan version 10.11.

This version is known for making troubles (including to myself) on Apple's own app iMovie among other apps.

What do you think?

• 22. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Thanks for the report.

I think that the bottom line right now is to get the Apple perspective on what you are experiencing.

On this side, uninstall and reinstall may be the next step.

If you are using Premiere Elements 14 Mac, you are probably eligible for online Adobe Chat free support for Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up. It only covers latest version, so best take advantage of this while you still can. Contact Customer Care

Adobe Forums help will always be available to you.

Just "thoughts" for considering when applicable.

According to the Adobe Licensing Agreement, you are allowed to have your purchased activated serial number on no more than two of your computers. But, you are not supposed to run them at the same time. There should not be any problems getting free installation files from Adobe Other Downloads and using your serial number in them during installation.

Other downloads

I would deactivate your Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Mac in an opened project's Help Menu/Sign Out. Do you have and see that option in Mac? Then uninstall the program the usual Mac way. Then reinstall.

The focus would be the number of "activated serial numbers". In the above scheme, you would just be replacing one install with another.

It is the hope that Apple or Adobe can reveal the problem with remote control troubleshooting of your computer and/or some undocumented solutions.

Best wishes

ATR

• 23. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

I think that is a good idea to sort out El Crapitan first.

I just tested E14 on Yosemite ( will not upgrade yet)

Exported a dvd iso with a 4 page menu with no craches.

This iso plays fine in VLC.

On a side not your Nikon camera produces H.264 in a mov container. There is no such thing as an avchd.mov.

Your Sony CX200 produces avchd. Avchd is a format that is compatible with Bluray and can only be MTS or M2TS.

Good luck with get thing sorted.

• 24. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

Thank you for your efforts and patience !

• 25. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

Ann,

Upgrading to El Capitan was the worse idea I had.

Adobe Elements 9 (I had previously) barely works, although Elements 14 does work.

Premiere 14 does not work.

iMovie 10 and iMovie 11 do not allow importing photos.

And many other flaws, and no word from Apple on it.

Thanks!

• 27. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

Ann,

WOW, this downgrade procedure is exactly what I need and didn't know where to look for !

Many thanks.

1: You mention at post 23 that you tested Elements 14 on Yosemite without installing Yosemite? How did you do that?

2: Did you test Premiere 14 on Yosemite as well?

3: The MacWorld procedure mentions that, after downgrade,  "restore your original pre-Capitan data from Time Machine".

However my Time Machine data is not only pre-Capitan since and I have been working with EC for some 2 months.

Won't it make any troubles?

• 28. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

1. I never upgrade to El Crapitain (probably wont do so for a long time), I have Yosemite installed (upgrade from Maverick)

2. Elements 14 runs just fine on Yosemite as far as I can tell. Have not had it that long.

3. I am more of a Windows person, cannot help you there.

• 29. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Please continue to contact Apple as mentioned. In the United States yesterday was a holiday, and I am not sure if that was a factor in delayed Apple contact.

Back in post 21, you wrote about your daughter having a copy of the program...assumed Premiere Elements 14 Mac.

a. On what Mac operating system is she running the program - Yosemite of El Capitan?

b. If El Capitan, what is the difference between her computer and yours?

Also, there is a problem specific for Premiere Elements 14 Mac, and it is called Royalty Activation Error. It impacts MPEG exports and DVD burns.

At any time have you seen an error message related to that? I am referring to the details for that found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 14: Premiere Elements 14 Mac Only Adobe Solutions For Three Known Issues

Please consider. We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

Thanks for staying with this. Appreciated.

ATR

• 30. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

The article you sent solved the problem of Premiere crashing when, after choosing a theme,  I clicked "continue".

Does not crash anymore.

( But I still have to learn how to match the films to the theme to generate an ISO file... )

On the other hand...the mp4 exported file is not valid as before, even if I apply the solution proposed by the Adobe expert at the article.

Thanks!

• 31. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

I am so very pleased and happy for your results with the Royalty Activation troubleshooting. Great job.

Next to the mp4 files that you are trying to import into iDVD.

(At this time, does the .mp4 import into a Premiere Elements project to be burned successfully to disc (DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc or anything else).

Could you send me a small sample of one of those .mp4 files using a shareable link from Google Drive or Dropbox. Not sure if Google Drive was on Mac. But, I found this

Install Google Drive for Mac/PC - Google Apps Administrator Help

The instructions that I use for Google Drive on Windows 7 or 10 64 bit are

1. Click on Google Drive - Cloud Storage & File Backup for Photos, Docs & More   and click on Go To Google Drive

2. Click on the red New button, then File Upload. Browse to and select the video for sending.

3. Right click the video thumbnail that is placed in the Google Drive view of thumbnails and click on Share in the drop down menu.

4. In the "Share with others" dialog that pops up, click on "Get Shareable Link".

5. Under "Anyone with link can view" in the dialog, copy the link shown and paste that link in your thread reply.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 32. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

I would sort out your OS first.

I would very much appreciate it if sharing a file you would use just Dropbox.

• 33. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

Yes, in any case I will downgrade to Yosemite - enough is enough.

Regarding the file, to make it simpler, I made a 5 seconds 10MB file for mailing, just need the email address.

• 34. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

Regarding the file: since I am allergic to Google fussing about every thing I do on cyber space, I don't use Google Drive.

To make it simpler, I made a 5 seconds 10MB file for mailing, just need the email address.

• 35. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

I don't like Google either meddling in everything.

You can use Wetranfer. (don't have to install anything)

Send the file you yourself and post the download link here on the forum.

I will test it for you on my imac.

• 37. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...

ATR,

Please check the link bellow and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

WeTransfer

• 38. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Just starting my day here about 8:30 am and went to this first.

Thank you for the sending. I was able to download the file to my computer.

I have imported the file into Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit and have no problems with the file.

When I import the file from the computer desktop into the Premiere Elements 14/14.1 (Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets and drag it to the Timeline, the project gives a project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

In agreement with the properties of the file as read from MediaInfo readout.

The properties of the file (.mp4 file extension) as read from MediaInfo are compatible with Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows.

Video

Format = AVC

Codec = avc1

Frame Size = 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate = 29.97 progressive frames per second

Bitrate = 18 Mbps (Maximum 40 Mbps)

Audio

Format = AAC

Channels = 2

Sampling Rate = 48.0 kHz

Bitrate = 157 Kbps (Maximum 213 Kbps)

I will await your further comments and  the results from those viewers of your thread who work with your file in a Premiere Element 14/14.1 Mac computer environment.

I am not expecting a difference in result between Windows and Mac in this regard, but I do not work with a Mac computer.

Thank you for the sending and the opportunity to be of assistance.

ATR

• 39. Re: Which video setting should I use on Premiere 13? ...so confusing for me...
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

This is an Add On to my post 38.

RE: The .mp4 file that you sent as representative of .mp4 files produced with Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Mac and not usable in iDVD and elsewhere.

I have taken the .mp4 that you have sent, successfully imported it into Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows, and am now looking at export of it.

a. Export as Blu-ray ISO Image. Export & Share/Disc/Blu-ray with Type = ISO Image (25 GB). There was no problems in producing the .iso file from that.

When that .iso file was taken to Blu-ray disc (BD-RE 25 GB) with IMGBurn program, the disc produced played back well on the computer Blu-ray player.

b. Export as Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray Disc. Export & Share/Disc/Blu-ray with Type = Disc. There was no problems in producing a Blu-ray disc with the Blu-ray disc format and playing that on the computer Blu-ray player.

c. And, no problems with Premiere Elements 14/14.1/your file and the DVD and AVCHD counterpart results for the above. In the DVD and AVCHD choices, a DVD-R (4.7 GB/120 minutes) was used.

d. As a side test, your .mp4 file could be imported in Movie Maker and exported as a .mp4 (same properties as the original) without problems.

To be continued...

ATR

1 2 Previous Next