3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 4:50 PM by Ryanide123

Collections and Collection Sets both need improved organizational options.

Ryanide123

I love LR for so many things but the Collections and Collection Sets method of organization leave much room for improvement. Adobe really needs to look to how Apple has done this with projects and albums in Aperture/iPhoto/Photos.

First off, why can't we have a grid view of all the Collections, where each collection is represented as a folder/stack with a top image that represents that event? Then you could double click a stack to open that collection.

What about a year view (like Photo's > All Photos view) that automatically groups images shot together in a location/date? As it is, it is very difficult to browse through thousands of images that have no apparent grouping.

For starters, a Collection could have a Name, Date, Location and a select image that represents the photos in the collection. Give us an option to view or sort the Collections, by Name, by Date, by Location, in a Grid View, or by Custom order. Furthermore Collections could have Tags, or Keywords that are assigned to the Collection rather than just to the Photos inside.  This would allow for expanded search options.

Let's say for example I have an Event for "Christmas 2015". When sorting through Collections, I want to see All Collections for 2015, so it should show up there. I want to see All Collections that are Tagged as "Holiday", then it would show up there.

As it is now I organize all my photo files into folders by Year/Month/Day. Then the photos are added to Collections, but finding photos is still terribly unorganized.

I'm curious how everyone else is managing their Collections/Sets??

• 1. Re: Collections and Collection Sets both need improved organizational options.
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional
          First off, why can't we have a grid view of all the Collections, where each collection is represented as a folder/stack with a top image that represents that event? Then you could double click a stack to open that collection.

You can!

In Preferences > Interface > check "Show Photos in Navigator on Mouse over"

Mouse over all collections shows the first image in that collection

Click the collection to open a grid view of all the images in that collection. Grid view thumbnails (only in a Standard Collection- Not Smart Collections) can be sorted several ways, including Custom.

ScreenShot283.jpg

What about a year view

Make a Smart Collection- (Lightroom does not automatically create "Dated" collections in the manner of Mac programs)

Eg. Year 2015

ScreenShot284.jpg

Eg. Christmas:

ScreenShot285.jpg

You can also Select MULTIPLE Collections by holding down [Ctrl] as you select each collection-

eg: you could select both Smart Collections to see Green and Red labelled images together in the grid:

ScreenShot286.jpg

The Collection Panel sorts Alpha-numeric, so you can use Collection "Sets" with numbers (01 02 03 etc) to hold other collections in a sorted manner.

but finding photos is still terribly unorganized

Research the Keyword functions of Lightroom then you can use Metadata search filters very creatively!

Using folders to find images is not best practice! Folders are for storage. Keywords, Rating, Flags, Labels, are for data management.

I only use Standard Collections for special jobs, like a book, or images to export for Grandma, Images for the print lab, etc. Standard Collections are images of MY choosing.

Smart Collections are automatic- they are images of Lightroom's choosing, dependent on the criteria you define in the dialog.

Let's see some other replies-

• 2. Re: Collections and Collection Sets both need improved organizational options.
            dj_paige Level 9

What about a year view (like Photo's > All Photos view) that automatically groups images shot together in a location/date? As it is, it is very difficult to browse through thousands of images that have no apparent grouping.

The filter bar lets you select all photos in a year (or all photos in a year/month, etc.) or multiple years. Built right into Lightroom, you don't have to create a smart collection to do this.

Let's say for example I have an Event for "Christmas 2015". When sorting through Collections, I want to see All Collections for 2015, so it should show up there. I want to see All Collections that are Tagged as "Holiday", then it would show up there.

The Filter Bar selects the year, and then in the FIlter Bar you can see what keywords are available for 2015.

2016-01-14 18_46_36-Lightroom.png

Honestly, I think just about everything that you are asking for can be done in Lightroom, and it won't take a huge amount of effort either (exception: collections cannot have keywords assigned to them, you'd be better off using keywords than collections for most stuff anyway).

One of the problems you have is that you want things to be done exactly the same way you do it in Apple software. That simply isn't going to happen. If you expect that, you will be disappointed with Lightroom. If you try to find Lightroom tools to accomplish the same thing, you might find that it does an awful lot of the things you want without a whole lot of effort.

• 3. Re: Collections and Collection Sets both need improved organizational options.
              Ryanide123 Level 1

Thanks for the replies. Guess I just need to explore and learn more about using keywords and filters to find things.

Thank you for the tips and suggestions.