15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 5:53 PM by A.T. Romano

Problems with my off lline content on time line

camera shy again Level 1

Drop down box opens up with "Where is file so and so"

I go to"search" the file shows up many times. Not clear on what to do with it. Need step by step procedure from there.

When the project program in loading up I can see the folders being downloaded into the program. Sooo not sure why it's asking me were a file is.

I have several folders in my project and all my material is there.

My timeline is there with all transitions, inserts etc. but no A/V the whole project is off-line.

In the past when I save and close the project I don't alter any folders or files but this problem keeps coming back.

Thanks,

Gil

• 1. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

The "Where is the file ______?" typically comes from the user moving, deleting, or renaming files and folders that went into the project after the project is saved closed.

If this is the situation, you have to know where the specific files are for the files that the project is looking for. When you import your source files into the project, all you get are

copies of the originals that remain at their hard drive save location. And, the project needs to trace back to them where they were at the time of their import into the project.

Do you know where all the missing files are? How many are missing?

Another explanation for that message is that you are storing your source files on an external hard drive and that external hard drive is malfunctioning (possibly changing drive letter with a lot of plug and play activities).

Please consider both possibilities.

Please consider and give more details.

Possible troubleshooting activities....

1. Compare storing source files on Local Disc C instead of external hard drive if that is applicable. Also, giving the external hard drive a new drive letter further down the alphabet.

2. When you open the project and are greeted by the first "Where is the file _____?", click Skip All to gain access to the project workspace and then determine which files are missing according to the color offline media displays.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
            camera shy again Level 1

I'll be working on my "off Line files" at a later time but I do have another question.

My Sony DCR-HC85 "HandyCam" takes up to 30 fps at MPEG 320x240.  What do I set the available presets to in my "new project" setup?

Thanks

Gil

• 3. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Are you still working on Premiere Elements 12/12.1? Please remind me what computer operating system you are using. For now, I will reference to Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit.

For your MPEG file 320 x 240 @ 30 frames per second (assumed progressive), set the project preset for

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Minio and Ultra 30p

(There is no project preset for your video, so we are selecting the above base on 4:3 video and 4:3 project preset. The space provided in the monitor will be one for 640 x 480 but that will get us through the editing phase nonetheless.)

Setting the manual project preset has the following steps:

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the one mentioned above. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline track.

Render the Timeline content by pressing the Render button above the Timeline or hitting the computer keyboard Enter key.

Please give that a look at the mini test run level, and let us know if that will work for you. When you get to export, we can adjust the properties of the export to 320 x 240 or other as needed.

We do not want to increase the resolution too much beyond the original to avoid pixelation.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Thank you for the reply, but there was no message in the reply.

Please try again as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

I think that we have a problem in communications. Your reply continues to be posted without a message. You were successful in posting your initial posts. Did you change how you post since then - maybe sending from cell phone instead of your computer browser? Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                    camera shy again Level 1

Using Windows 7, "Premiere Elements 12"

Just

so I don't trip myself up and make it more confusing to me, the

"Available Presets" don't show "Flip or Flip Minio & Ultra 30P. I

did the shooting 16:9

Three  of the many they show are: 'AVCHD Lite 720p 30, HD 1080i 30 and QFHD 16x9 29.97

Is this irrelevant to what you wanted me to do in your first reply?

Gil

• 9. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Thanks for staying with the posting for the message. Important things to discuss to make sure we are in sync.

I have offered reply for the question

My Sony DCR-HC85 "HandyCam" takes up to 30 fps at MPEG 320x240.  What do I set the available presets to in my "new project" setup?

But, now you say

did the shooting 16:9

That 320 x 240 is 4:3, not 16:9.

The project preset is set based on the properties of the file that you are importing into the project for editing. So, it is critical that we know properties of the video, such as, video and audio compressions, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio. Do you have that information or can you tell us the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video?

Any questions or need clarification for my request, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                        camera shy again Level 1

Opened up my

latest project and click on a segment portion of film on the time line.

This is the

information from the file properties of that segment: (Probably more info than

you require.)

Type: AVI

Movie

File Size:

11.3 GB

Image Size:

720x480

Frame Rate:

Source Audio

Format: 32000hz-16 bit- Stereo

Project

Audio Format; 32000 Hz -32 bit floating point-Stereo

Total

Duration; 00:54:05:16

Pixel Aspect

Ratio: 1.2121

AVI File Details:

User

Timecode: 00:00:00:17

Contains 1

video tracks(s) and 1 audio track(s)

Interleave:

1:28.99

Video track 1:

Size is

10.87G bytes(average frame =121.35kbytes)

There are

97268 keyframes

Frame rate is

29.970 fps

Frame size

is 720x480

Depth is 24

bits

Audio track 1:

Size is

396.18m bytes

Rate is

32000 samples/secSample size is 16 bits

• 11. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

If the video described in 10 is the one you want to use, then the Premiere Elements project preset should be set at

NTSC

DV Widescreen

But, this one for 720 x 480 16:9 is not the one that you mentioned previously. That other one was 320 x 240 4:3

Please consider, and then let me know if we are in agreement with the details. If you need supplementary details on this, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks again for your follow up. Appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR

• 12. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                            camera shy again Level 1

Yes, the info I send you the first time was taken from the camera's manual (320 x 240) was incorrect.  In the "project presets" I don't think the "NTSC DV Widescreen was there. I can give you a list if that would help.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Good morning.

Just recap to make sure that we are together on the details....

The Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit can be set two ways....

a. the Adobe way....let the project set the project preset automatically based on its analysis of the properties of the first file dragged to the project's Timeline

or

b. by you....before you import the file, going to File Menu/New/Project and its Change Settings option.

For the file that you described in your latest posts, in either case that project preset should be NTSC DV Widescreen.

If you do it....

ChangeSettings.JPG

If the project does it automatically, then you can find out what it set looking at Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Although you can find out what the project has set automatically, you cannot use Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to set the project to the right settings.

You start a new project for that.

If the project does it, Edit Menu/Project Settings/General will look like this for the NTSC DV Widescreen setting

ChangeSettings 2.JPG

Please consider. If sending the list that you mentioned will help, please post it.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                                camera shy again Level 1

Good news,

Fulfilled your last post.

At first I didn’t see “NTSC DV Widescreen”  in  “project  preset”

The discrepancy drop down box didn’t show up this time ( a

good sign) when I went to transfer film to project.

All appears to be working.

Thanks again,

Gil

• 15. Re: Problems with my off lline content on time line
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Wonderful news "All appears to be working". Great job of gaining your success.

Your follow ups were appreciated.

Best wishes. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need supplemental information on your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR