24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2016 9:21 PM by josephm588

Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14

andyt17311865 Level 1

I have completed and successfully burnt one project to a DVD and have just completed the second and am ready to burn the project to an iso image. I did a preliminary burn successfully two days ago so as to identify areas that needed change or improvement. This has been completed and I tried to burn a new iso image without success. I have used the same settings e.g. an AVCHD with the fit contents to available space box ticked as I did several days ago but this time the pop up window "Indexing" comes up suggesting the process has started but nothing is happening. I have checked my memory, disc space, I have restarted the application and then the computer but it still sits on the indexing screen with what appears to be no activity e.g. no change to the progress bar and no noise from the computer to indicate it is actively working.

Can you advise as to what might be stopping the generation of the image from commencing.

Cheers....AndyScreen Shot 2016-01-15 at 2.25.56 PM.png

• 1. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Couple of things:

1.Make a dedicated folder to store your exports in.

Preferably not on the C drive if you have more then 1 drive. (same applies for source video and project)

2. 40 minutes of HD timeline is rather much for an avchd disk.

max is about 20 minutes of timeline. A double layer dvd (8,5 gig iso) disk will hold 40 min in good quality.

3. Go into your Preferences/Media and clean out the Media Cache and try again.

• 2. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
            A.T. Romano Level 7

andyt

Around midnight I replied to your thread with the following message. I believed the message to have been posted. I had Internet failure at this time. And, it looks like my reply was not posted in your thread. Please consider which I have recovered from this web site just now.

andyt

Premiere Elements 14 on what computer operating system? Have you updated to 14.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

Where do you have your source media for the project stored and have you moved, deleted, or renamed any of the source media that went into the project?

Where are the Scratch Disks pointed and how much free hard drive space is there at those locations? See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Is the source files for this current Index problem project completely different (hard drive save location as well as format) than those used in those recent projects that did succeed with burn to .iso file?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

I add now the following points if explored

Media Cache Files Folder contains conformed audio files

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder contains preview files from Timeline rendering

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, andyt, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
              andyt17311865 Level 1

Ann,

Thanks for your response. I did successfully burn the iso image on the the Wednesday with the size of the file larger than the one I tried to burn on Friday so it does not appear that size is the issue.

I cleaned out the media cache but this made no difference.

Cheers...Andy

• 4. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                andyt17311865 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for providing a detailed response sp hopefully my response will assist you in determining where the problem might lie.

Basically I am running Premiere Elements on an iMac that is running the most up to date version of El Capitan. Premiere Elements is running on version 14.1

Not sure ho Premiere works as I have exported all of the photos and video from iPhoto which is stored on a separate drive and then imported the into Premiere Elements, as such I had assumed that is stores a copy of the files separately. The music is imported direct from iTunes on the iMac. 

There appears to be plenty of space on the hard drive of the iMac where the scratch files are stored.

As far as I am aware all of the source files are still in the same location they were in when I first created an iso file. Following that first effort I made a number of changes that required me to delete a number of photos, video and music and then adding in new photos and music. The one change that I have made that I now think might have a prt to play in this is that I edited the name of the project file and then opened it to make the new changes mentioned above. I notice in the directory that I have two directories one for each project name. Is it possible that this is causing my problem in that Premiere has created a new set of directories for the project in the new name making the links to the original source files invalid? If so am I able to go back to the old name and make my new changes to the originally named version or do I need to simply start again as the two sets of directories make it impossible to use the existing files?

Hope this helps pinpoint the problem and you are able to assist further.

Cheers...Andy

• 5. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would deleted the entire new project and go back to the old one, make the changes and burn to iso.

On a side note I know the size of the iso is no issue to the problem you are having at present. Its rather a picture quality issue.

• 6. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                    andyt17311865 Level 1

Thanks Ann, I agree the issue is quality with the file size but I'm keen to complete the project with one DVD and to include all of the content so have been prepared to lose a little in quality.

Good to hear you suggest I go back to the earlier version as I had come to the conclusion that it was either this or start again but wanted to get some confirmation before proceeding.

Cheers...Andy

• 8. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Good morning. I think that we are in different time zones. And, I did not see your reply to me until now.

I would agree that going back to the original project and trying to make your changes there would be the next step. Have you actually done and gotten your .iso file successfully?

From what you wrote, am I understanding correctly that this all started by Save As or Save A Copy (renaming and/or new location of the original)?

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 9. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                        andyt17311865 Level 1

ATR,

Yes I line in Australia hence the time lag.

I had thought that simply renaming the filename of the project (in fact it was just a spelling correction) and then opening it up under the new name would not have made an impact however it now seems clear that Premiere stores the links to the source files within the project file. As a result all of the initial source files would have been linked to the original file name and changing it back would not have helped as it would have created the same problems for the files I added after the change of name. As a result my best strategy is, as we all agree, to go back to the old project file and redo those more recent changes.

It was your comment about changing the destination of the source files that made me look into the directories structure and I was surprised to find that Premiere had created another set of directories for the renamed project file. This then suggested that the directory path for the stored source files would have been different hence the failure to index the final project. Oh well we live and learn and I now have a task in front of me to identify and repeat all of the changes I made so I can produce the final version.

Thanks to both you and Ann for your assistance it has been invaluable. I will post a final note once I complete and produce the iso file.

Cheers....Andy

• 10. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                          andyt17311865 Level 1

Well I thought we had a solution by using the earlier version but just to test it would work before I did all of the updating I tried to burn the earlier version and it also s stuck at the indexing stage. What I am curious about is why the earlier version would have images and music that was only added in the later version even though the timeline is exactly as it was when I first successfully burned it. I can only assume that the system stores the files in a central location for a project whereas the timeline is specifically linked to a version. If so am I correct in then assuming that the indexing process at the start of a burn process simply checks all of the files in the project's library to ensure it can find the sources files through the links stored when they were first loaded.

Just to make sure I didn't have another issues I loaded a previous project and tried to burn the iso and it started straight away so the problem is linked to this project regardless of the file names used.

Either way it seems I have no choice but to go back and start my project right from the start with a fresh new project file as it is far to difficult to try and remember which images and video I added in the later version and I don't want to gamble that I go through the process only to find it still does not work.

Cheers...Andy

• 11. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Thanks for the update. Sorry for the setback.

Just in case recap...when you import source media into the Premiere Elements workspace, all you get are copies of the originals stored on their hard drive save location. But, those copies need to trace back to the originals where they were when they were first imported into the project.

I have two things for you to explore before you decide to redo the problem project - if you have not done them already....

1. Go back to the Expert workspace and inspect all the opened tracks and Project Assets for any signs of colorful media offline displays. Make sure the you do not have any media - project disconnects that could be triggering the endless indexing in the burn to.

2. Go To Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and set all the categories of Scratch Disk to Same As Project.

Where is the project file being saved to at this time? For comparison where are the Scratch Disks and project file located in the project that does work for you?

ATR

• 12. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Add On to my post numbered 11....did you see this

"Indexing Screen" prevents dvd burning

Please refer this back to my suggestion 1 in post 11.

ATR

• 13. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                andyt17311865 Level 1

ATR

I have reloaded the project and am currently rendering the project, if all of the items in the timeline have a green status bar can I assume that the project is linked to all of the source files?

If so I will attempt to create the IOS file once again.

What am I unsure of is a movable button that appears in the space where the rendered colour bar appears. It was at the end of the project at one stage but was in the middle when I tried to create the ISO file, does this have any impact on a project and the creation of an ISO file?

Cheers...Andy

• 14. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Open Project Assets, if you have any file - project disconnects, the thumbnail for the file typically has circling arrow in it.

Also, if you have file - project disconnects, you will also see colorful offline displays in the content in the Timeline track.

I think that you are referring to the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar. I do not believe that this should make a difference with burn to .iso, but, nonetheless, position those gray tabs to span the entire duration of the Timeline content.

If you press the End key of the computer main keyboard, does the Timeline Indicator go to the end of the last item on the Timeline tracks or does it keep moving far beyond that end of content? Since you are on Mac, use whatever the Mac equivalent is for the Windows End key. I will see if I can find that in the morning morning.

I am going to be calling it a day. We will watch for the outcome in the morning morning. Keeping positive thoughts for your success.

Best wishes

ATR

• 15. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                    andyt17311865 Level 1

ATR,

I hope your last message did the trick as I did find one file with a circling arrow in it and deleted the file. The warning message was that I would be deleting a file from the timeline but I could not find a gap after it was deleted. It now appears that all of the files have successfully rendered and there are no other files showing in the project assets with a problem. I have then tried to burn the ISO file but I'm getting an insufficient space massage (see attached) despite ticking the check box to allow the program to fit it to the available space (this worked in the earlier burn when the file was even larger)

Just to prove that the project is able to be burned I have chosen to run a quick export option which as I speak is now 9% complete. Do you know why I am getting the insufficient disk space message when trying to burn it to an IOS/disc?

Cheers....Andy

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 1.27.28 PM.png

• 16. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Now that is a puzzlement.

Based on the details of your screenshot, I could not repeat the details to get the insufficient disc space for burning.

Fit Content to Available Space with check mark

AVCHDfirst.JPG

Fit Content to Available Space no check mark

AVCHD2.JPG

1. Save, close, the project and program. Restart the computer. Same result - Insufficient space for burning.

2. Check the Encoded Files Folder to determine how much free space is at that location.

3. Point the Destination field to another location - maybe desktop (is that OK for Mac?

What is your project preset for this project?

I will think about this some more.

ATR

• 17. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Add On to question 16....

What I am about to ask is the reverse of the typical question - "Even if you cannot burn to AVCHD ISO Image, can you burn your project to DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes)?

ATR

• 18. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                          andyt17311865 Level 1

I have plenty of space on the computer so this should not be an issue unless there is a specific limit for the encoded files directory but it does not look to be overly large.

I tried several different destinations for the file including the desktop but the message was the same. I even tried an external 2TB drive but is indicated that this was an invalid destination.

I then tried to burn to a DVD disc and got past the insufficient space message only for it to stop once again at the indexing stage once again.

Am I correct in assuming that if I can create a Quick Export mp4 file that the project file does not have any issues so the indexing issue is therefore linked to a different problem or does the indexing vary for the different share options.

Not sure what else may have been changed since I first produced an Iso file with this project that is giving cause for an insufficient space message. Is it related to the hard drive of the computer or the space available on a blank DVD?

Is there an effective way of burning the mp4 file version so it can be read on a DVD player?

Cheers...Andy

• 19. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                            andyt17311865 Level 1

Project presets as follows

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 6.36.13 PM.jpg

• 20. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                              andyt17311865 Level 1

ATR,

I have found the problem following a read of a previous discussion on the forum on the 24 Feb 2014 titled "Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space". In this message is the suggestion that it is the menus that are causing the error so I deleted my menu and the program is now creating the IOS file. Not sure just why this is causing a problem but hope this provides a path for the programmers to follow to determine just why this would generate this error.

Anyway thanks to you and Ann for your assistance.

Cheers...Andy

• 21. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Wonderful news "...now creating the IOS file." Great job.

Your results pointing to relationship between disc men and burn area insufficient disk space are interesting. Before I posted by results in post 16, I did not a with and without menus to determine if that could be a factor in this case. I could not with my model case.

But, well done navigating through the endless indexing in burn to and the insufficient disk space situation.

Just starting my day and great way to start with your good news.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On....If you have a regular DVD player attached to a TV or standalone, you will need an end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

What is what you describe as DVD player? Is your interest in TV or computer play back for this MP4 file

Publish +Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25?

Add On...you wrote

Am I correct in assuming that if I can create a Quick Export mp4 file that the project file does not have any issues so the indexing issue is therefore linked to a different problem or does the indexing vary for the different share options.

The answer to that would be forthcoming from the troubleshooting and be significant if Quick Export mp4 file did not present the indexing problem and the burn to situation did. Need for Adobe programming details would be indicated. Is this issue project or program specific as of now?

• 22. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                                  andyt17311865 Level 1

ATR,

Thought about this issue a bit more as I wondered if it was linked to the use of the same image for the main menu and the scene menus so tested this this morning but it made no difference. Funnily enough I then got a new error message "Image with Name Exists" but ultimately discovered that this was the program defaulting to the same ISO file name as the one I successfully burned last night.

I then went through a series of tests to try and determine just what causes the Insufficient Space message. I added a new menu and image and there was no problem, I added one scene marker with no problem, I added 6 with no problem but when I added the 7th resulting in the system adding an extra scene menu I got the error message. I then removed the 7th scene marker and the error disappeared.

While it is up to the programmers to determine why this is the case we at least know the cause and how to avoid it in the future. Not sure if this is repeatable in your test model but if it is not it may be linked to the size of the project or any number of other factors. At least you have a place to start investigating.

Happy to test something on my project if you need as I am now burning a new and final version with one main menu and one scene menu.

It has been interesting and puzzling but I am very pleased I did not have to reproduce my project from the very start.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers...Andy

• 23. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Thanks for the update.

It is about 3 pm Tuesday afternoon here. In the next few hours, I will take another look at your details as I posted previously (post 16). This time I will focus on the details of Timeline markers and main menu pages and scene menu pages. Please remind me what movie menu theme that you used.

To be continued...

ATR

• 24. Re: Trouble trying to burn an ISO image in Elements 14
                                                      josephm588 Level 1

I had the same problem as Andy on Premiere Elements 14. It seems you need to reduce the number of menus, as Andy figured out... which I tried and it worked

<<I then went through a series of tests to try and determine just what causes the Insufficient Space message. I added a new menu and image and there was no problem, I added one scene marker with no problem, I added 6 with no problem but when I added the 7th resulting in the system adding an extra scene menu I got the error message. I then removed the 7th scene marker and the error disappeared.>>

I just kept removing scenes until I had fewer menus (2 main menus and 7 subtitle menus). That did the trick for burning an ISO file (otherwise it says "disc full" or "not enough space" -- even when TB of space are open. The issue is a programming problem with PE14. I'll try burning a disc after doing an ISO file burn... am assuming that will work since the "burn" button became active (not grayed out) as soon as I reduced the number of menus.