8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 6:58 AM by EBinNYC

Is InDesign the best software for producing a flyer?

EBinNYC

I just finished a flyer for a friend's candidacy in Photoshop, and some of the type came out very fuzzy.  I cannot figure out why it came out fuzzy, but I am sort of a novice at Photoshop and InDesign.  Also, some of the objects I put on the page are fuzzy.  I am considering re-doing the flyer in InDesign.  Would that be a better choice?

• 1. Re: Is InDesign the best software for producing a flyer?
          Derek Cross Level 6

You use Photoshop to optimise (cropping etc) your images, working in the RGB color mode and ensuring your photos are around 250 to 300ppi at the size they will be printed. Place the image in InDesign where you add, text, effects like panels of color. When finalised you export the document as a PDF using the InDesign PDF presets, selecting High Quaity Print if it's to be printed on a desk-top printer and PDF/X-4 if you're using a commercial litho printer. Select in the Acrobat panel, separate pages (not spreads) and tick Use the dicuments bleed settings.

• 2. Re: Is InDesign the best software for producing a flyer?
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Designing Flyers in InDesign is definitively better than doing it in Photoshop. But InDesign has a very high learning curve.

Problem is in your case: Your image has a resolution, it will be around 300ppi. If you send this file with image, vectors and type to a RIP or printer, it will be printed with that resolution, not higher as text and vectors are rasterized with Photoshop files with that resolution.

If you send a PDF (not flattened version!!!!) the type and vectors are rasterized on the RIP's or printer's resolution, which is 1200dpi or 2800dpi or somehow higher. dpi!!! not ppi!!!!

You could save the LAYERED PSD file as PDF, this will allow to send the fonts and vectors as those to the RIP or Printer and it will not appear as fuzzy.

But we encounter another problem in Photoshop. For images (as the standard settings are) black will be 4c black and not overprinting. Black should be K-only and at least with tiny letters overprinting black. It can be done in Photoshop, but it is difficult to do so.

There is another problem or disadvantage in Photoshop making flyers. Your images are RGB, if you make a flyer in Photoshop you will have to convert all images in Photoshop to a single CMYK color working space. If you use InDesign you link the images in their original working space, probably in RGB, and keep it in that space in a PDF/X-4 or convert it in a CMYK space when converting it in a PDF/X-1a. Which allows you more flexibility.

• 4. Re: Is InDesign the best software for producing a flyer?

You answer is not visible. You might go to the forum and write your answer there, some email clients show problems.

• 5. Re: Is InDesign the best software for producing a flyer?
                EBinNYC Level 1

Hi, Willi,

Thank you so much for your kind and prompt reply.  I am really a novice at InDesign.  I only graduated from a graphics course in late July and have not really had time to do much graphic work as I am a busy biology teacher.  Thus, these problems are really punching me in the gut.  The pics of the candidates in the flyer which were supplied to me were horrible.  I had to quick-select and erase the head shots I wanted from full body shots or half body shots of poor quality.  And all the guys were totally bald, so it was minute work to get their heads cleanly from the background.

The logo I was supplied with is not an EPS file, so it does not translate well to either Photoshop or InDesign, it looks fuzzy. 

Finally, to be honest, I only understand about half of what you discussed below.  What I attempting to do is to take the layers I created in Photoshop, such as the background, and translate it to InDesign in the hope that I can get a flyer which will print as sharp as possible.  Is it possible for you to state what you said below in terms I might understand better?  I understand vectors, rasterize, ppi, etc.  But I am wondering what RIP is, a layered PSD and your last 2 paragraphs make me feel completely stupid. 

Meanwhile, the guy REALLY likes my design.  I just want to get these technical difficulties solved.  Part of my learning curve.  And I REALLY REALLY appreciate your kindness in trying to help me. Thanks SO MUCH!

--Esther

• 6. Re: Is InDesign the best software for producing a flyer?
                  EBinNYC Level 1

Hi, Derek.

Thank you for your kind and prompt reply.  I was supplied with absolutely horrid photos of the candidates for the ancillary positions and a crummy full-body shot of the main candidate, which I quick-selected and erased the head shot I wanted from.  What a bunch of work just with those photos!  I made a nice background in Photoshop which translated well to InDesign.  What else is giving me a problem is that the logo for this guy's organization comes across fuzzy from Photoshop to InDesign.  I tried to reproduce the logo, but for some reason the circle around the center design (a bunch of blue people silhouettes) looks rough.  And, I gave up for the night when I made a circle with no fill and no stroke with which to make a circle of text surrounding the blue people.  I got the top part of the phrase all right.  Then I used the pen to create a "smile" to attach the rest of the phrase to at the bottom, so it would be all facing the right way and not just following a circle all the way around.  For some reason, the bottom phrase on a separate pen "smile" wanted to attach itself to the circle with the first part of the phrase in the complete circle.  Considering I have a bad cold and am not at my strongest, I threw in the towel for the night.

So, is there a way to import the logo from another document or can I recreate it?  I asked the candidate for an EPS file, but he said "Huh?" and that was that.

So very grateful,

--Esther

• 7. Re: Is InDesign the best software for producing a flyer?

RIP is Raster Image Processor, where vectors get translated in raster images.
                    EPS is not so good anymore, use PDF instead.
                    Photoshop is to make images, not layout. Save them without text and vectors as PSD or if they don't have layers as JPGs with high quality. Save each image as separate image. It makes putting them together in InDesign easier and reduces file size.

Vectors are done at the best in Illustrator, save them as AI or PDF/X-4.

In InDesign compose everything by placing (File > Place…) PSD, JPG, AI or PDF and adding text.

From InDesign export a PDF for print or web or what you need.

What file type is the logo? Best would be AI or PDF.