3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2016 5:11 AM by bob frost

Lightroom slideshow stutters on transitions and zooming on 'lesser' computers!

bob frost Level 3

I can make a LR 6.3 slideshow with 180 nefs exported to jpgs and sized and sharpened for projector 1400x1050, so just the jpgs are being used in the slideshow. If I run this on my main desktop computer, it runs fine - nice smooth transitions and zooming.

BUT, if I run it on my Shuttle (SZ77R5) or on my Dell XPS 13 laptop, the slideshow keeps going into stuttering mode! Then it recovers and runs fine for a few slides, and then starts stuttering again. The Dell laptop is uptodate, and I have updated all drivers in the Shuttle, and tried various graphics cards - even taken the Quadro K2000 card out of my desktop and put it in the Shuttle, but no change. Both have quadcore cpus and the slideshow hardly taxes the cpu in any case. Both have ssds as system and ssds for catalog and previews, with jpgs on a hdd.

OK I can avoid the problem by exporting the slideshow to video in my desktop and then running the video on the Shuttle and laptop (which I use for giving talks), but that doesn't seem quite as sharp as the live slideshow.

So what's the answer. I'm quite computer literate and have tried most things I can think of. I'm running Win10x64 on all three computers, without any other problems.

A puzzled Bob Frost.

• 1. Re: Lightroom slideshow stutters on transitions and zooming on 'lesser' computers!
          bob frost Level 3

""Curiouser and curiouser" said Alice."   From 'Alice in Wonderland'.

I seem to be in a sort of Wonderland myself! I have eventually found a solution to the stuttering during transitions and zooming on my Shuttle SZ77R5 computer. Nothing to do with the graphics card, driver, cpu, etc,etc; but due to the lack of Apple's Quicktime!!    Installing Quicktime 7.7.79 cures the stuttering in LR CC, and uninstalling it causes LR to stutter again.

Now I understand that Quicktime has been necessary in the past for running some videos in LR, but I haven't read anything about it being necessary for running a live slideshow from jpgs already resized for the screen. And even more curious is the fact that I don't have Quicktime on my main desktop where the slideshow runs fine without any stuttering!!

Anyone any ideas on why this is happening?

A still puzzled yet happy Bob Frost

• 2. Re: Lightroom slideshow stutters on transitions and zooming on 'lesser' computers!
            bob frost Level 3

Quicktime also cured the stuttering of transitions and zooming in the slideshow on my new Dell XPS13 laptop.

But from the total lack of responses, either everyone else knew this, or no-one knows why?

Bob frost

• 3. Re: Lightroom slideshow stutters on transitions and zooming on 'lesser' computers!
              bob frost Level 3

I have now had a partial answer to this problem.

According to an Adobe source, "We don¹t require QuickTime.

In some circumstances, we leverage QuickTime if its there.  In this case,

its likely that QT has a path that is more optimized, thus we're

leveraging it to reduce the stutter."

So if you have any problems with LRs slideshow stuttering in transitions or zooming/panning, install Quicktime.

Bob frost