0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 9:40 AM by Gary Niemeier

Why do object style keyboard shortcuts stop working?

Gary Niemeier Level 1

I'm using InDesign CS6 on OS X 10.8.5. I've defined some object styles and have assigned keyboard shortcuts to them (using the numeric keypad and the command or option modifiers). Example: "Opt-Shift-Num 3."

The shortcuts work for a while. But then, with no warning, they just stop working. If I restart InDesign, they start working again. Then they stop working. Typically I use them once or twice, and they stop. A restart always fixes it, for a few minutes, then they go dead again.

If I try to edit the object style, and click in the shortcut box, I get an error beep. It won't accept any shortcuts. It's like the Object Panel just decides, "no, shortcuts no longer work."

I've examined InDesign's own keyboard shortcuts for conflicts -- that doesn't seem to be the problem. I also use Quickeys and have checked that for conflicts. Can't find any. I've also check my Mac's keyboard shortcuts in the System Preferences. It's not that the Object Styles don't work. If I click them manually in the panel, it's fine.

I suspect there's some conflict with the keyboard shortcuts somewhere, but I just can't find it. Thanks for any help.

Gary