3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2006 6:36 AM by Newsgroup_User

Smooth surfaces from lightwave

MikeLB Level 1
      This has probably been asked a thousand times and probably very basic but I thought I'd give it a whirl, we currently making models of packaging in formZ, things like bottles, food containers etc. Then opening them in Lightwave and exporting w3d file for use in director, unfortunately if we give the surface a specular/semi reflective surface, the polygons become visible. The surface editor in Lightwave has smoothing on (angle 89.3) and the shockwave export settings are as follows
      Enable Toons and SDS = true
      Crease Angle = 1
      Normal Deviation = 3

I've mucked about with these values to no avail, the only way it seems is to have oodles of polygons and even then you can stiil see em!
      There's a simple model here to illustrate this, one high polygon count and the other low --- what am I missing??
        • 1. Re: Smooth surfaces from lightwave
          Level 7
          Hi Mike,

You should be able to export as Shockwave 3D from formZ directly, which
          might give better results ( the additional exporting and importing might
          be causing a problem with normals ).

Mal

> This has probably been asked a thousand times and probably very basic but I
          > thought I'd give it a whirl, we currently making models of packaging in formZ,
          > things like bottles, food containers etc. Then opening them in Lightwave and
          > exporting w3d file for use in director, unfortunately if we give the surface a
          > specular/semi reflective surface, the polygons become visible. The surface
          > editor in Lightwave has smoothing on (angle 89.3) and the shockwave export
          > settings are as follows
          > Enable Toons and SDS = true
          > Crease Angle = 1
          > Normal Deviation = 3
          >
          > I've mucked about with these values to no avail, the only way it seems is to
          > have oodles of polygons and even then you can stiil see em!
          > There's a simple model http://www.marketing-sciences.com/Smoothing.dcr to
          > illustrate this, one high polygon count and the other low --- what am I
          > missing??
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Smooth surfaces from lightwave
            MikeLB Level 1
            Thanks for replying to my post Mal, the models I've illustrated are simple shapes directly out of Lightwave so they wouldn't have been affected by such a transition from FormZ. We have tried to export directly from FormZ and have found the results to be less manipulative (though the export settings from FormZ seem to be plentiful) - we can't seem to find any guidance or literature on shockwave exports from FormZ, do you know the whereabouts of any? Thanks in advance
            • 3. Re: Smooth surfaces from lightwave
              Level 7
              Hi Mike,

> we can't seem to find any guidance or literature
              > on shockwave exports from FormZ, do you know the whereabouts of any? Thanks in
              > advance

I don't know of any additional literature on formZ etc.

This might be an interesting ( and hopefully fun ) way of testing the
              export from both though!

Download our 3D car eLearning app, and read a bit about how to set it
              up, from this link...

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/director/articles/3d_in_30_print.html

Now, export from both Lightwave and formZ over the gamelevel.w3d file,
              testing how objects in each turn out ( the fun part is that you can
              drive around / over your new objects ).

Mal