12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 1:58 PM by Peter Spier

Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic

sallyl47663082

I can't seem to add Adobe Garamond Pro Semibold Italic to Indesign CS5 fonts. I get all the other styles but that one, even though I added it to the Indesign fonts folder. I successfully added Adobe Jenson Bold Italic, so I know I am adding them correctly. Does the program not recognize Semibold italics? I need to know before I purchase, because if it doesn't take semibold italic, the program is useless to me.

• 1. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's installed just fine here. What version of ID? OS? Do you use a font manager?

• 2. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic
            sallyl47663082 Level 1

I’m using a trial version of InDesign CS5. I also tried a trial version of InDesign CS5.5. I have a MacBook Pro that is using Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.5). I have had trouble trying to find the correct version of InDesign that would work with this OS. Checking the Adobe website, the older versions of InDesign had OS requirements that were too low, and the newer versions had OS that was too high. My problem stems from my old Mac G4 using InDesign CS2, which has all the fonts of Adobe Garamond Pro. The G4 is close to the end of it’s life, so I am trying to find something that will open those CS2 files and print them. The CS5 and CS 5.5 both work on the MacBook Pro and can both open my CS 2 files, but Adobe Garamond Pro Semibold Italic is not listed in the fonts, and the text in the files converts to Bold Italic. I don’t want Bold Italic, I want Semibold Italic.

Curiously, I have InDesign CS2 on my Windows 8.1 laptop, and it also does not list Semibold Italic, even though my Mac version does have it. I can not add the Semibold Italic to the Windows CS2 either. It only lists Bold Italic. If I could add it to the Windows version of InDesign CS2 and have the Semibold italic, my problem would be solved. As it is, I’m still trying to find a solution.

The MacBook Pro is a drag and drop in for fonts, so I did not use a manager. As I posted previously, I was able to add Adobe Jensen Pro to the InDesign CS5 trial version, so I know the process I used works.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 3. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic

And you are sure you are installing Adobe Garamond PRO? Try installing it in Font Book rather than a private InDesign fonts folder and see if it works in other programs.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic

Also, where are you getting this semi-bold italic weight? As far as I can tell that never shipped with any version of InDesign.

• 5. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic
                  sallyl47663082 Level 1

The source of the Adobe Garamond Pro  was the Mac G4. But since that computer is ten years old, if not more, with files and fonts transferred back and forth between it and a G5 during all that time, I can’t tell you exactly where it came from. It’s just there in the G4 system fonts. The G5 finally crashed and burned, so I don’t even know if that computer was the source. My best guess is that it came from my sister who had a small publishing business, since the Mac computers were hers originally. I see Adobe Garamond Pro listed in Microsoft Word 2010 on my Windows laptop, but unfortunately that program doesn’t list the font styles. I also see the font listed in Photoshop on the same computer, but again, all styles but Semibold italic.

I am a bit confused by your term “font book”. Are you referring to the system font folder? If that is the case, then I did try placing all the styles of Adobe Garamond Pro in the system font folder, but still the Semibold Italic does not show up on the list in InDesign CS2 on the Windows version.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 6. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic

Font Book is the OSX built-in font manager.

Again, are you certain that the semibold italic version is really the OpenType PRO face, and not, for example, an older TrueType or Type1 version of Adobe Garamond. That would have its own listing in the font list.

• 7. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic
                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Very little point trialling CS5, you won't be able to buy it from Adobe. CS6 and earlier releases of CC are available to your OS. So you can join the subscription world and you can update for free when you update your OS.

• 8. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic
                        sallyl47663082 Level 1

Yes, it is an OpenType face. It has the ‘o’ preceding the name. It says Adobe Garamond Pro, not Garamond or Adobe Garamond. But, I am getting the distinct feeling at this point that it might be far simpler to change the Adobe Garamond Pro in my file to some other font in which Semibold Italic is available, than to doggedly continue on this path. It is looking more and more the easier solution to my problem. Still, I do thank you for all your input thus far.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 9. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic
                          sallyl47663082 Level 1

I am curious as to which InDesign version you mean when you posted, “It’s installed just fine here.” What was “here”?

Sent from Windows Mail

• 10. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic

I run Windows 7 here, and the font is installed normally in to Windows' Fonts folder. It is available in all installed versions of InDesign and other programs.

• 11. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic
                              sallyl47663082 Level 1

I have a computer with Windows 7 and InDesign CS2, but rarely use it. I turned it on and opened my old CS2 file. The font I needed was there. Problem solved! Thank you for all your responses. This one did the trick.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 12. Re: Indesign CS 5 & Adobe Garamond Semibold Italic

That font is probably in the Windows' Fonts folder. You should be able to copy it to a flash drive (or do it across a network) and install it normally on your Mac.  If you don't see it, make a file in CS2 that uses the font, then package it and put the package on a flash drive. The font should get copied into the package folder.