9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 12:28 PM by johnrellis

Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)

alexshark29

Problem:

When photos are taken in burst mode and are imported by Capture Time they appear out of order. Importing them again and again produces rather random out of order results.

The result is camera independent, I tried it with Canon 5D Mk III, Canon 1Ds Mk III, Leica M (240).

OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

Lightroom CC 2015.3 (Lr6). I noticed the problem was reported repeatedly beginning with Lr3 in a variety of OS, cameras, SD and CF cards.

The problem is the ADOBE LIGHTROOM problem.

It appears that Lr takes no notion of milliseconds, and whatever photos were taken less than a second apart will be imported in random order, no matter what.

The photos appear in the correct order on the media card when sorted by File Name.

A workaround:

1. Import photos without renaming them, or choose Filename in the Rename Files option.

2. Sort by Filename in Lr after import.

3. Rename all files to your liking.

4. Keep the folder sorted by Filename

Problem: you are not forever stuck with this directory sorting. Any attempt to change it to sort by Capture Time will mess up everything.

It is suggested that Adobe will take care of the problem of truncating the Capture Time.

• 1. Re: Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)
          dj_paige Level 9

You should let Adobe know about this, instead of telling us users here in this forum.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 2. Re: Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)
            alexshark29 Level 1

I just did. Meanwhile, some users, especially those who do time-lapse photography, might find the workaround useful.

• 3. Re: Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)
              nyskiya

I'm having the same problem. When shooting burst mode in fast action shots. I notice when i input the file into LR. some files are out of sequence. I thought my Nikon D750 was acting up. I will go back and test using nikon software to input file, then LR. To see if that makes a different in my workflow. Thank for the tip. "Come on adobe help  us out by fixing this"

Ray

sequence problem in burst mode

• 4. Re: Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                When shooting burst mode in fast action shots. I notice when i input the file into LR. some files are out of sequence. I thought my Nikon D750 was acting up.

I just retested this in LR CC 2015.5 / OS X 10.11.4, using Nikon D750 samples from dpreview.com.  LR correctly sorted these photos by subseconds.  Some troubleshooting steps:

- Do Help > System Info -- which exact version of LR are you running?

- In Library grid mode, select one of the burst photos.  In the Metadata panel on the right, select IPTC and look at the Date Created field. It should show fractional seconds, e.g.

Untitled.png

- In Library grid mode, do View > Sort > Capture Time and View > Sort > Ascending.  Are the burst photos properly sorted by the times shown in IPTC Date Created?

If you find two burst photos that aren't properly sorted by IPTC Date Created, upload them to Dropbox (or similar) and we'll take a look at what might be going on.

• 5. Re: Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)
                  NorthandBob

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my Canon 80D in burst mode.  I'm running:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.5 [ 1067055 ]

The import order is out of sequence, but when I sort by capture time (in Quick Collection for example) it fixes the order (but not the filenames, of course).  I have the import set to sort by Capture Time so it's unclear to me why the import order gets shuffled.

Thank you!

• 6. Re: Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)

I am having the same problem with my Canon 80D in burst mode.  ... The import order is out of sequence, but when I sort by capture time (in Quick Collection for example) it fixes the order (but not the filenames, of course).  I have the import set to sort by Capture Time so it's unclear to me why the import order gets shuffled.

It's not clear you are experiencing the same problem, since when you sort by capture time, the photos get correctly ordered.

What do you mean by "the import order is out of sequence"?   Immediately after importing, do View > Sort -- which sort order is currently checked?

• 7. Re: Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)
                      NorthandBob Level 1

Thanks johnrellis -- I must have misunderstood the issue above.  My issue, as you already figured out, is that the import order is wrong.  In other words, the sequence numbers being applied to each file as part of the Import Rename is changing the order of the resulting files.  Here's an example across a 7 shot burst (the first number is the sequence number assigned to the photo by the import rename step):

05 @ 10:54:46.65

07 @ 10:54:46.79

06 @ 10:54:46.94

09 @ 10:54:47.08

11 @ 10:54:47.22

08 @ 10:54:47.37

10 @ 10:54:47.51

Sorry for the confusion on this thread!  BTW, you should get an award for "Fastest Response To A Question EVER."  :-)

• 8. Re: Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)
                        ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

There is no defined ordering of the import sequence LR.

The sorting in the import dialog is for viewing purposes.

If the ordering of the images by file name is important, you need to be using the "original file number" instead of the "import sequence number" when you rename the files.

• 9. Re: Importing out of order in Lightroom (Lr6)

There have been lots of complaints about out-of-order photos, and it's been difficult to tease apart the issues, given all the places in LR that affect the display order of photos.

I take it you are using the "Sequence #" to rename your photos?  LR CC 2015 / 6 appears to have changed the behavior of Sequence  #, such that it is assigned in the order that LR actually imports the photo into the catalog.  Since LR is using multiple processors to import the photos, the sequence # gets assigned semi-randomly.  (It would be a trivial amount of programming to assign the numbers in the order shown in the Import window, but LR doesn't do that.)

Some workarounds:

- Don't do file renaming.  Use the Library View > Sort command to get your photos into the desired order.

- Use the "Filename" renaming token to import the files using the current filename. After import, click on the source Previous Import, and make sure Sort: File Name is selected in the toolbar at the bottom. Select all the pics and do Library > Rename Photo, using the renaming preset "item name-Sequence #". Not as convenient as doing it all in one step at import, but these extra steps will take about 20 extra seconds per import.

- If the filenames include a trailing number sequence, e.g. IMG_015.NEF, IMG_016.NEF, etc. then you can use the import renaming preset "item name-Filename number suffix", which will use the item name appended by the number that exists in the original filename. This ensures that the renamed files will still sort in the original order.

There's a feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum on this topic: Lightroom: Import renaming Sequence # should be assigned by the order shown in the Import window | Photoshop Family Cust…  Add your vote and detailed opinion to that topic, which will make it a little more likely Adobe might pay attention.  (Product developers actively participate in the feedback forum but rarely participate here.)

2 people found this helpful