6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 11:06 PM by Peter Grainge

Index file location

Hello, all. I would like to have my index file sitting outside the WebHelp output folder so that, if someone goes into the directory that holds the Webhelp folder, they'll immediately see the index file without having to dig through the thousands of files in the Webhelp folder. If I do this as a Windows shortcut, it doesn't translate to other p.c.s. So, I want the actual index file (rather than a shortcut to the index file) sitting outside of the Webhelp folder.

Does anyone know how to do this?

-Greg
        • 1. Re: Index file location
          RoboWizard Level 4
          Hi Greg

You could take a few different approaches with this.

* You could create folders and move all topics into folders with no real content in the root except the WebHelp start page.
          * You could create a redirect page using a couple of different techniques.
          **> Meta Refresh
          **> JavaScript

Basically the redirect works by specifying a page to open when the redirect page opens. User opens page A and when page A opens, the instructions say to open page B.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Index file location
            Level 1
            Thanks, Rick! Question: If I try your first suggestion (i.e., "You could create folders and move all topics into folders with no real content in the root except the WebHelp start page."), are you referring to the first page that displays when you open the RoboHelp finished project?

-Greg
            • 3. Re: Index file location
              RoboWizard Level 4
              Hi Greg

An interesting question to be sure. Here's why.

Many users confuse the WebHelp start page with the Default Topic. Often they will attempt to name them the same. But they are vastly different.

The WebHelp start page is simply the HTML file you point your user to. It launches the help. Basically it sets a series of actions in motion. The HTML file loads into the browser and the instructions inside tell the browser to split the windows into different areas. Main Toolbar, Navigation Pane, Topic Pane, Navigation Mini Toolbar. The last action is that the Default Topic loads into the Topic Pane and is presented to the user.

The first field on the dialog where you generate WebHelp is where you set the WebHelp start page. That's the page I was referring to. The Default Topic may be located anywhere in the folder structure you like. So it may be inside a folder so as to eliminate any confusion.

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Index file location
                Level 1
                Thanks for that great info, Rick. Please bear with me but I have two final questions: when I change the Output Folder and Start Page location, RoboHelp copies ALL the files to that location in the output. How do I get it to put just the Start Page there? And how does that Start Page know to go into the related folder to start those actions in motion?

-Greg
                • 5. Re: Index file location
                  RoboWizard Level 4
                  Hi Greg

There is simply no way to cause all files in the folder to move to a different folder. I'm guessing that you are wanting the user to open the folder and see a single file that they open, right?

Assuming I'm correct, you will accomplish this as follows:
                  Place the entire WebHelp content and sub folders inside a folder. Assuming this were on a CD-ROM, the user might open the CD and see simply a folder named "WebHelp". You would then create a redirect page that points to the WebHelp start page (Which will be inside the WebHelp folder given the example above.)

If this were the setup, here is how the entire code would appear for the single HTML redirect page.
                  <!doctype HTML public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
                  <html><head>
                  <meta http-equiv=content-type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
                  <meta name=generator content="Adobe RoboHelp - www.adobe.com">
                  <meta HTTP-EQUIV=refresh CONTENT="0;URL=WebHelp/index.htm">
                  <meta name=generator-major-version content=0.1>
                  <meta name=generator-minor-version content=1>
                  <meta name=filetype content=RoboHelp>
                  <meta name=filetype-version content=1>
                  <meta name=page-count content=1>
                  <meta name=layout-height content=321>
                  <meta name=layout-width content=706>
                  <title>HTML Redirect</title>

<link rel=StyleSheet href=styles.css>

</head>
                  <body>
                  <p> </p>
                  </body>
                  </html>
                  Hopefully this helps... Rick
                  • 6. Re: Index file location
                    Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                    "I would like to have my index file sitting outside the WebHelp output folder so that, if someone goes into the directory that holds the Webhelp folder, they'll immediately see the index file..."

Why would anyone be going to the directory? Users normally call the help from an application or a shortcut. Why would you want anyone to go into the actual diectory and file rather than viewing the index seen when they click the Index tab?

If it is because you have created your own topic as an index, then that you could create your own toolbar button that calls that topic instead of them using the normal index button.